What do you prefer physical media vs digital media?

Started by judge death, Aug 03, 2022, 06:14:52 PM

What format do you prefer your games/movies in?

I prefer digital, have everything in my device with a click and not owning anything
3 (12%)
I prefer physical media: Bluray/DVDs, Cartridges, VHS, prefer to own my purchases
22 (88%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author
What do you prefer physical media vs digital media? (Read 4,493 times)

judge death

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 16, 2022, 05:55:21 PMMy own dad is like that.  He still has entire bookcases filled with degraded VHS tapes, for example.
Mine are being watched a lot and so far no degrading on my vhs movies^^ But then again my games, movies and music isnt for collecting but to play/watch :D No collecting dust over here or at my dads place either.

Lol without my bookshelfs and mvoies and books, my room apartment would be completely empty, nothing on the walls or in the cabinets, just my pc and that sit.... I think I prefer my bookshels and my collections, makes my apartment look more interesting and not empty :P

Stitch

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 16, 2022, 05:55:21 PMOkay, if you insist: In my experience, a lot of collectors are basically just hoarders.  My own dad is like that.  He still has entire bookcases filled with degraded VHS tapes, for example.
I understand that concept. I replace movies that I own with ones of a better quality to try to reduce shelf space. Got rid of my Spider-Man dvds when I got the Blu-ray box set.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 16, 2022, 05:55:21 PMOkay, if you insist: In my experience, a lot of collectors are basically just hoarders.  My own dad is like that.  He still has entire bookcases filled with degraded VHS tapes, for example.
Yeah that's not what I do, I don't just buy shit just to buy shit, I sell stuff I don't care about and get rid of old versions of stuff when I upgrade.

Not all collectors are automatically hoarders, and to label them as such is a little insulting.

Wweyland

I love Steam in terms of games but have not seen a good enough streaming service to replace my blu-rays.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Permanent downloads without DRM, in all possible cases, otherwise physical. That's what everyone ought to do, for space, and for the environment, with of course exceptions for what you adore.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 16, 2022, 08:57:46 PMNot all collectors are automatically hoarders, and to label them as such is a little insulting.

You did ask.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Physically owning something isn't just about the object itself. It's also a connection with a time and place in your life. Something to remind you of something, that keeps a memory alive. Many of the things I own invoke fond memories that I may have forgotten otherwise.

For example, I still have my VHS Alien Legacy box set, it reminds me of Christmas 2000 when I was just 15. I got that box set and it's also a really cherished memory of a Christmas where my whole family was still alive. It's one of those Holidays I probably wouldn't recall well if there wasn't something to look upon that provided the spark of a memory.

Digital services continue to push toward memberships and fees to see their media that they control. If you want to see your favorite series and franchise shows and films then you will have to pay for it monthly... to multiple streamers.. forever... you never actually own it.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 17, 2022, 04:14:59 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 16, 2022, 08:57:46 PMNot all collectors are automatically hoarders, and to label them as such is a little insulting.

You did ask.
If you're the one doing the blanket labeling then that's kinda on you. I knew what you were implying, I was just trying to get you to say the quiet part loud.

Although I'd say it's a little more on Omegamorph for implying the blanket statement to begin with. Your post didn't help.

Whiskeybrewer

For me its always the physical media. Just to have something in my hand that i can put on at any time.

Digital could vanish just like that

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 17, 2022, 02:06:11 PM

You did ask.
If you're the one doing the blanket labeling then that's kinda on you. I knew what you were implying, I was just trying to get you to say the quiet part loud.

Although I'd say it's a little more on Omegamorph for implying the blanket statement to begin with. Your post didn't help.

And I never said "all collectors," but I do stand by what I actually did say.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 17, 2022, 02:44:20 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 17, 2022, 02:06:11 PM

You did ask.

And I never said "all collectors," but I do stand by what I actually did say.
At the very least you implied me, by chaining off of Omegamorph's post (which did imply all collectors are hoarders) and then you compared me specifically to a certain Necron.

And if I did ask, and you said "collectors in your experience are hoarders" and didn't bother clarifying that not all collectors are hoarders, it's pretty clear what you meant even if you didn't state it outright.

Local Trouble

I don't see how Omegamorph implied all collectors either.  And you've said more than once that Trazyn is your spirit animal, so I don't know why you're taking offense to it now.

This has really touched a nerve, hasn't it?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 17, 2022, 03:18:36 PMI don't see how Omegamorph implied all collectors either.  And you've said more than once that Trazyn is your spirit animal, so I don't know why you're taking offense to it now.

This has really touched a nerve, hasn't it?
Omegamorph literally said that collecting is symptomatic of other conditions, and then you (correctly) connected the dots that in your experience collectors are hoarders. Otherwise what did you think Omegamorph meant, what were you agreeing with, and what did it have to do with your "in my experience collectors are hoarders" comment?

Similarly your train of logic was to chain off of Omegamorph's post (which you later acknowledged was about hoarding, as per above) and in the middle you compared me to a certain Necron. If you weren't implying that Trazyn (and therefore me) is a hoarder then why did you bring it up in the midst of hoarder-chat?

It touched a nerve because I'm a collector, you agreed with a post that said collectors have issues, and then you started talking about hoarders without some sort of clarification like "I'm not saying you're a hoarder or that all collectors are hoarders".

Worth pointing out that Trazyn isn't a hoarder anyway; he has a large and far reaching collection, but it is very specific things, it's organized and curated, and he doesn't just acquire stuff Willy-nilly.

But that's not what you meant by bringing up Trazyn in the midst of hoarder-chat.

Local Trouble

This is what Omegamorph said...

Quote from: Omegamorph on Aug 12, 2022, 07:58:23 AMdigital as it occupies less space

overglorifying physical media is a sign of other issues

Show me where he even mentioned collectors.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 17, 2022, 03:31:15 PMThis is what Omegamorph said...

Quote from: Omegamorph on Aug 12, 2022, 07:58:23 AMdigital as it occupies less space

overglorifying physical media is a sign of other issues

Show me where he even mentioned collectors.

Quote from: Omegamorph on Aug 12, 2022, 07:58:23 AMoverglorifying physical media is a sign of other issues
Who overglorifies physical media?

The easy out here is for you to say what you should have said to begin with: you don't think I'm a hoarder and not all collectors are hoarders, and if we're lucky @Omegamorph will chime in and clarify what he meant.

Again, you were the one who chained from Omegamorph's post to talking about collectors as hoarders. Why is that? If you don't think Omegamorph was talking about that, what prompted your post?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed