Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 279,538 times)

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

So the alpha is just
Spoiler
an alien taken from Cruz whose queen was born from a horned space goat.
[close]
That's pretty much it.

That's fine, but I feel like this was hyped to be something more. I thought they were doing something weirder, but I guess this is nice and lore-safe...

All of the questions behind Cruz's backstory have been answered now. The only question I have left is where they're going with the Sil thing.

I'm pretty underwhelmed but hoping that ending leads to something interesting. Keeping my expectations low though.

Nightmare Asylum

Writing wise I think this was the strongest of the run so far. Nothing special (though I did quite like that one page dealing with Cruz's dreams) but competent for the most part.

Spoiler
Since the Alpha and the Sil-thing are actually shown to be two different things now, I really hope that something interesting happens with her down the line. Not gonna hold my breath for anything too interesting but it would be nice...
[close]

The art remains excruciatingly bad.

judge death

Wasnt Sil just a dream or is she true now?

For alpha: I dont see why a queen born from those sheeps would be different as the queen/royal line dont take traits from the hosts and keeps the xeno line clean so if the comic made the queen different now and her xenomorph offspring is different oo and is now that alpha then its jumping the shark in my eyes, weak story and breaking too much of the lore I hold close. Then all the art stealing, tracing, ba ddialog, silly moments, marines who can speak and shot with a removed belly, artists who trace, etc hard big skip.

Have not much good things to say about marvels mains eries and this is a ongoing forever series with no end, urgh, more of this.....

Nightmare Asylum

"Breaking the lore" is something that's just going to keep happening. Dark Horse did it over and over. Titan did it. Marvel is doing it. If Disney/20th Century Studios was going to enforce any sort of hard expended universe continuity, it would have started with this run, and they seem to just instead be letting creatives run off and do whatever. Marvel ignores Dark Horse stuff, Dark Horse stuff conflicts with prior Dark Horse stuff, Dark Horse stuff feeds into Titan, Titan does a prequel to the upcoming game, etc. It's all a mess, but whatever. As long as stories are good (this one, unfortunately, hasn't been, despite this particular issue being a bit better than the first four) I really don't care about consistent story/lore in the EU. It's all ancillary to the films anyways – and even the films aren't totally compatible with one another.

To answer your question about "Sil:"

Spoiler
In this issue Cruz recounts her appearing in his dreams and cites that he has no idea if she is real or not, but insists that she must mean something.
[close]

BlueMarsalis79

f**k this.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: judge death on Jul 21, 2021, 05:36:21 PM
Still a dream, but the point of these dreams hasn't been revealed... assuming they actually are teasing us with a point. I'm half expecting this to go unexplained.
For alpha: I dont see why a queen born from those sheeps would be different as the queen/royal line dont take traits from the hosts and keeps the xeno line clean
Since when? We haven't had many examples of this. The only one that springs to mind is Chet - who I could have sworn Greg & Colin said was a young queen.

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah and also f**k that idea.

Nukiemorph

Not defending AVP-R, just asking when we've ever seen a queen born from another species.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Jul 21, 2021, 07:12:49 PM
Still a dream, but the point of these dreams hasn't been revealed... assuming they actually are teasing us with a point. I'm half expecting this to go unexplained.

I don't forsee an explanation during this arc for sure – but given the location for the second arc and the quasi-religious abandoned Alien 3 concepts that the setting evokes it seems like a decent enough setting for Cruz to have something of a spiritual encounter with "Sil" if they do go that route.

City Hunter Yautja

The Xenoverse exists..

Engineer

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Jul 21, 2021, 07:49:09 PM
Not defending AVP-R, just asking when we've ever seen a queen born from another species.

Off the top of my head, in the EU realm(s), AVP extinction had a predator-alien-queen separate from the normal predator-alien-hybrids. Not saying this is any more or less valid than anything else, but it is an example of past precedent (one that even pre-dates AVP:R, in fact).

City Hunter Yautja

Has there been an Engineer Queen? I wish Engineer Xenos were white like the Neomorph.

Xiggz456

Really enjoyed this issue. I've also enjoyed the pacing of story thus far. Some wild alien variants shown here which in context were very interesting
Spoiler
that once impregnated there's a psychic connection to the alien hive mind?! I actually like this idea which surprised me since I've never liked the telepathic queens from the older Dark Horse stories and it's also one of the very few things I don't really care for in the new RPG expansion. Also I think Iris is an android infiltrator. 
[close]
Looking forward to the next issue to see the conclusion of this first arc!

judge death

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Jul 21, 2021, 07:49:09 PM
Have alien vs predator exctintion, avp 1-2 where the queen were born on alien planets and still look like hwo a queen should, aliens eart war series, born from pig like creatures and explained in how aliens reporduce and its asexual unlike some claims of them needing a mate. AVP last of his clan, anchorpointessays which I see as super canon, his research was top notch when his site was up, then we have avp 2010, empress thats so old it havent even seen humans before predators captured her, alien vs superman had queens born from alien species that was normal queens etc.

IF queens take dna like normal xenos, then they will thinn the line and one days top to even look like xenos and downgrade from being perfect. Example: A queen is born from lets say, river ghost from predators 2010, its offspring a queen facehugger hatches onto a predator, and now we have a queen that is a mix of both them, and its queen hatches onto a crocodile, now we have a abomination, even more so if that queens facehugger then hatches onto a human: There isnt anymore queens or xenos like in the movies but something else completely. exciting maybe but how do you get that deadly xeno back, especielly if this mix of creatures ends up making them less deadly, like the freaks of resurrection, they lost more xenos than main crew in that movie, dont call them as fearful as the aliens from alien 1-2 movies.
OK its easily fixed if a director artist want but logical sense, there wouldnt be a going back and the species is forever changed to the worse most likely as its already perfect.
See it from how vampire lore works: the first vampires was super strong but as their lines thinns, the later vampires are a joke and dont have any powers of the originals.

Its there like anchorpointessays and exctinction and several sites have the royal line to keep the xenos deadly: queens dont take dna and changes but keeps the xeno line pure, having their drones/warriors take traits to be better killers of the species they gestate from but can still easily adapt back and no risk of them evolving into something else.

BlueMarsalis79

I also personally don't believe in changing the design of the Queen. It didn't work for AVP 2004. And it does not work here.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed