User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis!  (Read 50898 times)

SiL
Jun 29, 2021, 04:33:36 AM
Reply #555 on: Jun 29, 2021, 04:33:36 AM
If you want acid deaths in visual format, Labyrinth has plenty and they are gnarly.

Voodoo Magic
Jun 29, 2021, 12:59:48 PM
Reply #556 on: Jun 29, 2021, 12:59:48 PM
I also found that acid scene in Requiem a bit gnarly too.

Kradan
Jun 30, 2021, 07:30:18 AM
Reply #557 on: Jun 30, 2021, 07:30:18 AM
That shit was hilarious, yeah  :D

Stitch
Aug 09, 2021, 10:12:44 AM
Reply #558 on: Aug 09, 2021, 10:12:44 AM
OK, so I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for this, since I wanted a paperback version. Audible has just put a load of audio books up for free, and so I listened to it instead of actually getting it into my hands (which would have been my preferred way).

I now don't think I'll be picking up the paperback. Having read through this whole thread it feels like I'm one of the only people who didn't actually like this book.

Some of the concepts were great, and some of the death scenes were awesome, but by that point I'd stopped caring about the characters that were dying.
The shock deaths of main characters came out of nowhere and really surprised me, but when that same trick was reused multiple times it just drew me out of the story.

Some of the writing was also just bad. I realise that it was adapted to the characters that were being written, but when I got to a point where someone was saying 'it's like playing a guitar solo with a gun', I literally burst out laughing. There's also another part where Kamran refers to the aliens as 'snatchers', which he has no reason to because that terminology isn't his. It's an editing miss, but, again, something that stood out.

It's a shame, because The Cold Forge was pretty good (though I don't put it on a pedestal, like some). I was really looking forward to this, but it just didn't work for me. I guess it wasn't helped by the monotonous narrator, and the present tense writing (neither of which I liked, but was able to get over), but by the time I got about 2/3 through I realised I just wasn't enjoying the book on the whole. I kept going because I was intrigued by the continuing story of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, but it wasn't enough for me. It's like a movie where I buy into the hype, but come away feeling like l've missed something that everyone else seems to get.

[cancerblack]
Aug 09, 2021, 07:58:24 PM
Reply #560 on: Aug 09, 2021, 07:58:24 PM
OK, so I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for this, since I wanted a paperback version. Audible has just put a load of audio books up for free, and so I listened to it instead of actually getting it into my hands (which would have been my preferred way).

I now don't think I'll be picking up the paperback. Having read through this whole thread it feels like I'm one of the only people who didn't actually like this book.

Some of the concepts were great, and some of the death scenes were awesome, but by that point I'd stopped caring about the characters that were dying.
The shock deaths of main characters came out of nowhere and really surprised me, but when that same trick was reused multiple times it just drew me out of the story.

Some of the writing was also just bad. I realise that it was adapted to the characters that were being written, but when I got to a point where someone was saying 'it's like playing a guitar solo with a gun', I literally burst out laughing. There's also another part where Kamran refers to the aliens as 'snatchers', which he has no reason to because that terminology isn't his. It's an editing miss, but, again, something that stood out.

It's a shame, because The Cold Forge was pretty good (though I don't put it on a pedestal, like some). I was really looking forward to this, but it just didn't work for me. I guess it wasn't helped by the monotonous narrator, and the present tense writing (neither of which I liked, but was able to get over), but by the time I got about 2/3 through I realised I just wasn't enjoying the book on the whole. I kept going because I was intrigued by the continuing story of
, but it wasn't enough for me. It's like a movie where I buy into the hype, but come away feeling like l've missed something that everyone else seems to get.

Do you know if it's the same narrator who did the Cold Forge audible?

He's terrible.

Kimarhi
Aug 10, 2021, 01:06:28 AM
Reply #562 on: Aug 10, 2021, 01:06:28 AM
I think there was a substantial world building improvement between the first and second book and you could see how White took steps in expanding the overarching story between the first and second.  I think my main draw was that Charybdis just felt much more expansive.

Everybody has their own taste though, I think everybody gets too hung up on what everybody else likes.  Sometimes its ok to be the tall rock in rushing water.

The one thing I would actively disagree with you is: Of course the main characters are going to die in the book.  It's an Alien movie related story. 

I think the last chance every character had to make it out of an Alien story was when me and a bro came up with a story in our backyard when I was a preteen where we didn't want to kill off any our our people. 

Stitch
Aug 10, 2021, 03:36:56 AM
Reply #564 on: Aug 10, 2021, 03:36:56 AM
The one thing I would actively disagree with you is: Of course the main characters are going to die in the book.  It's an Alien movie related story.
I don't mind characters dying. As you said, it's an alien related story. The problem is when
, it's kinda jarring. It throws me out of the narrative, and stops me really caring what happens to anyone.

Nukiemorph
Aug 10, 2021, 04:15:05 AM
Reply #565 on: Aug 10, 2021, 04:15:05 AM
I really only felt like

« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2021, 06:19:36 AM by Nukiemorph »

Stitch
Aug 10, 2021, 01:40:28 PM
Reply #569 on: Aug 10, 2021, 01:40:28 PM
Why get attached to someone if they're just going to die?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This happens a lot in this thing called LIFE.
If you don't want it happening in adult books then maybe stick with kid literature.
Not at all the point I was making. But thanks for misunderstanding and making a sarcastic comment anyway. I'll make sure I stick to Biff and Chip from now on.

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube RSS Feed