Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 03, 2020, 03:53:38 PM

Author
Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis! (Read 98,278 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Concerned Bystander on Mar 13, 2021, 07:57:22 PM
I wasn't really a huge fan of The Cold Forge, but that doesn't mean for a second that I won't be getting a hold of Into Charybdis at the soonest opportunity.  There is a hunger that must be fed, and even the worst Alien book is better than starvation.

Ah. I see we've welcomed a heathen into our ranks... :P

Kimarhi

I didn't think it was bad, but it wasn't as good as people made it out to be either.  I give it props for trying to do something different with the characters, but that is about it. 

426Buddy

I loved both TCF and Charybdis. I just really enjoy White's writing and I feel like he gets the Alien universe like few other authors do.

If you didn't like TCF then I'm not sure you're going to like this either, but I absolutely adore it. Honestly I would have to say that TCF, Phalanx, and Charybdis are my favorite novels in the EU overall.

Kimarhi

I didn't dislike it.  It was solid.  I'm just not sure it was all it was hyped up to be. 

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 13, 2021, 10:36:24 PM
Honestly I would have to say that TCF, Phalanx, and Charybdis are my favorite novels in the EU overall.

I'll agree with this, but with the caveat that they are also the only three Titan novels I've read (barring the Covenant novelization). :D None of the others sounded interesting, so I haven't bothered with them.

I will be reading the upcoming adaptation of Gibson's script, though.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 13, 2021, 10:39:57 PM
I didn't dislike it.  It was solid.  I'm just not sure it was all it was hyped up to be.

There is a TCF sect in these corners of the net, and that's just the pick of the iceberg. The dark waters is where the juicy revelations are.

Engineer

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 13, 2021, 10:59:33 PM
Honestly I would have to say that TCF, Phalanx, and Charybdis are my favorite novels in the EU overall.

I'll agree with this, but with the caveat that they are also the only three Titan novels I've read (barring the Covenant novelization). :D None of the others sounded interesting, so I haven't bothered with them.

I really enjoyed out of the shadows. My expectations for it were very low, and considering that the inclusion of Ripley and the story taking place between alien and aliens was a mandate from fox, I went into thinking Lebbon was dealt a bad hand but he still churned out a pretty great story and somehow made it work ok given the constraints. It's not perfect, but certainly better than I think most others would have been able to pull off. I also think he handled ripley's characterization really well; it honestly felt like Ripley as a character was in a transitional state from who she was in alien to who she became in aliens. My ultimate recommendation here though is to give the audiodrama by Dirk Maggs a shot; that's the best way to experience that particular story imo.

Kimarhi

I also liked Out of Shadows despite Ripley's involvement which I was sure would kill it.  At times it comes off as silly, but it still was ok "what if" scenario (that had already been done before in the old DH comics).

I'm about sixty pages into Charybdis, and I will say that so far I am enjoying this book much better than Cold Forge.  Better world building, and likeable characters.

Some of this is my own brains doing.  I can watch movies about dickhead characters all day, but I hate reading about them. 

SpaceKase

Hey guys,

Been away for a while because of some crazy life stuff, but I'm stoked about the new book and the sudden glut of material being announced lately. Anyway, I wanted to share something I threw together for the love of Charybdis.  Not sure how to embed the video direct but, crank it up to 720p or 1080p when you get there and check it out. It's still a work in progress but I've been having some fun periodically adding details and experimenting with some styles. Hope you like it.

https://youtu.be/s0-0gJULVnk

See You Space Cowboys

BlueMarsalis79

Wow! Excellent!!!
Thank you so much!
This helps with visualisation for me a lot.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 13, 2021, 10:59:33 PM

TCF, Phalanx and Charybdis are easily my favourites of the Titan era, and up there with my favourite Alien novels over all (the other 2 being Berserker and Music of the Spears). Aside from Covenant - Origins, Alien: Isolation and the majority of the shorts in Bug Hunt, Titan's run has actually been solid. TCF, Phalanx and Charybdis are the top notch, 10/10s, but the rest have been around 7/10s for me. Still strong and enjoyable.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 14, 2021, 02:56:13 AM
Some of this is my own brains doing.  I can watch movies about dickhead characters all day, but I hate reading about them.

That's a shame. My thing is as long as those dickheads are interesting to read about, I'm in. It's one of the reasons I remember not really being too keen on Criminal Enterprise. And that's one of the things that Alex does well. Their characters aren't black-and-white, they're shades of grey, and there's usually some interesting background or conflicts going on that make them fun to read.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 13, 2021, 08:53:52 PM
I wasn't really a huge fan of The Cold Forge, but that doesn't mean for a second that I won't be getting a hold of Into Charybdis at the soonest opportunity.  There is a hunger that must be fed, and even the worst Alien book is better than starvation.

Make that two. TCF was a solid book but not mind-blowing in any way to me. The best thing about TCF for me was not the even a part of the book itself - but all the podcast interviews White did for it. He has a lovely, lovely personality

Xiggz456

Quote from: SpaceKase on Mar 15, 2021, 06:16:47 AM
Hey guys,

Been away for a while because of some crazy life stuff, but I'm stoked about the new book and the sudden glut of material being announced lately. Anyway, I wanted to share something I threw together for the love of Charybdis.  Not sure how to embed the video direct but, crank it up to 720p or 1080p when you get there and check it out. It's still a work in progress but I've been having some fun periodically adding details and experimenting with some styles. Hope you like it.

https://youtu.be/s0-0gJULVnk

See You Space Cowboys

Great work SK!

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 15, 2021, 11:12:38 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 13, 2021, 08:53:52 PM

Make that two. TCF was a solid book but not mind-blowing in any way to me. The best thing about TCF for me was not the even a part of the book itself - but all the podcast interviews White did for it. He has a lovely, lovely personality

Hicks said my wife was a heathen for not liking John Wick. Pretty soon there will be enough Hicks Heathens out there to start a social group!  :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

I'm not wrong on either count.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed