Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 03, 2020, 03:53:38 PM

Author
Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis! (Read 96,571 times)

426Buddy

I'm 350 pages in and loving it. I felt a lil dip as soon as the
Spoiler
marines
[close]
enter the picture. But after that if really delivers on all fronts.

Spoiler
I'm a little unsure of Blue becoming a weird rattlesnake xenomorph, I'll wait and see how it all plays out first though.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 08, 2021, 01:20:25 AM
Spoiler
I'm a little unsure of Blue becoming a weird rattlesnake xenomorph, I'll wait and see how it all plays out first though.
[close]

I personally was really into this particular element, but I do think it is going to split a lot of people.

Question for people that have finished the novel:

Spoiler
Maybe I missed a detail while reading, but do we know why exactly Blue chose this planet to come to in the Blackstar? If that was explained, I feel like I somehow missed that detail. I'd imagine Blue was drawn to the Engineer facility located here...

Speaking of the facility, since it was a Weyland era installation over that (rather than WY), that must have been discovered not long after the events of Prometheus. I wonder if maybe another star map led Weyland Industries here in the first place?

Also, I imagine the Blackstar is a Bowie reference, and if so, love it. 8)

EDIT: Flipping through the book again, and it seems like  the Five Months Ago conversation between Marsalis and Thien at the start of "Part III: Revenant" is the context that slipped my mind about why Blue came to Hasanova.
[close]

Engineer

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 07, 2021, 11:41:00 PM
Finished. Thought this was excellent. Reading through spoiler posts now, but just want to say that I really loved this one and found it to be right on par with The Cold Forge. Out of the fair share of expanded universe stuff I've read, nobody gets the Alien universe quite the way Alex White does.

Spoiler
I bet the fanbase is going to be pretty split on the Blue stuff (which took me by complete surprise) but I was really into it. I'd love to see a visual depiction of her as described in this book...

Duncan's death was f**king NUTS in the best possible way.

Hasanova/Charybdis Complex is easily my favorite location in an Alien story outside of the films, and I found the whole political climate here to be incredibly compelling. On that note, this is the best Colonial Marines focused story since Aliens, and by a WIDE margin.

So we have a pre-merger Weyland facility built over an ancient Engineer site... giant head room and all. That's... a pretty insanely massive detail ripe with so much potential. I absolutely love this kind of stuff, and it opens up a huge can of worms vase of black goo.

Also, I'd be remiss to not mention Shy's absolutely shocking death at the halfway point of the book.
[close]

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 01, 2021, 10:24:37 PM
Spoiler
I could see Alex writing about the war and Rook starting a synthetic uprising against humanity during said war which could lead to things like Auton creation and what not. 
[close]

Spoiler
The epilogue had me speculating about this exact same thing. And I think Alex White would write a damn good book dealing with that subject matter. It would have to be set some time further in the future, but it would be interesting if it also dealt with the inevitable collapse of Weyland-Yutani that we know is coming at some point in the next 200 years.
[close]

Spoiler
for that visual depiction of blue, think 'unused alien3' design:
https://i2.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/32.jpg
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 08, 2021, 02:26:47 AM
Finished. Thought this was excellent. Reading through spoiler posts now, but just want to say that I really loved this one and found it to be right on par with The Cold Forge. Out of the fair share of expanded universe stuff I've read, nobody gets the Alien universe quite the way Alex White does.

Spoiler
I bet the fanbase is going to be pretty split on the Blue stuff (which took me by complete surprise) but I was really into it. I'd love to see a visual depiction of her as described in this book...

Hasanova/Charybdis Complex is easily my favorite location in an Alien story outside of the films, and I found the whole political climate here to be incredibly compelling. On that note, this is the best Colonial Marines focused story since Aliens, and by a WIDE margin.

So we have a pre-merger Weyland facility built over an ancient Engineer site... giant head room and all. That's... a pretty insanely massive detail ripe with so much potential. I absolutely love this kind of stuff, and it opens up a huge can of worms vase of black goo.

Also, I'd be remiss to not mention Shy's absolutely shocking death at the halfway point of the book.
[close]

Spoiler
I could see Alex writing about the war and Rook starting a synthetic uprising against humanity during said war which could lead to things like Auton creation and what not. 
[close]

Spoiler
The epilogue had me speculating about this exact same thing. And I think Alex White would write a damn good book dealing with that subject matter. It would have to be set some time further in the future, but it would be interesting if it also dealt with the inevitable collapse of Weyland-Yutani that we know is coming at some point in the next 200 years.
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Aye, that's a very good reference point there! In my mind I saw the head as very similar to that, though with the ridges more "layered" over/under one another (to account for the rattling), and the body structure more like that of a (partially formed) Queen.
[close]

Engineer

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 08, 2021, 02:29:01 AM

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Aye, that's a very good reference point there! In my mind I saw the head as very similar to that, though with the ridges more "layered" over/under one another (to account for the rattling), and the body structure more like that of a (partially formed) Queen.
[close]

Spoiler
the way the lips were described made me think of this unused design initially, but honestly, the rest of the creature's description made me doubt for a moment. Really happy that's what it turned out to be though. Such a cool reference/Easter egg!
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 08, 2021, 03:05:42 AM

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
the way the lips were described made me think of this unused design initially, but honestly, the rest of the creature's description made me doubt for a moment. Really happy that's what it turned out to be though. Such a cool reference/Easter egg!
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah, the Michelle Pfeiffer lips definitely seem to be an inspiration here - Giger would (hopefully) be proud to see them finally getting used in some capacity!
[close]

Engineer

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 08, 2021, 03:15:10 AM

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah, the Michelle Pfeiffer lips definitely seem to be an inspiration here - Giger would (hopefully) be proud to see them finally getting used in some capacity!
[close]

Spoiler
blue's form and the scientist character returning from alien3 were both big surprises. Alex said the cold forge was their "alien" and  into charybdis was their "aliens" but it pulled a fair bit from alien3 too which is pretty freakin awesome IMO. That was a character I don't think I ever expected to see again.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 08, 2021, 03:21:01 AM

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
blue's form and the scientist character returning from alien3 were both big surprises. Alex said the cold forge was their "alien" and  into charybdis was their "aliens" but it pulled a fair bit from alien3 too which is pretty freakin awesome IMO. That was a character I don't think I ever expected to see again.
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah, it actually admittedly took me a little too long before I made the scientist connection. :D

I also love the way White so seamlessly weaves in concepts from Prometheus and Covenant into stories more based around the "traditional" films. Blue was a fascinating (and sure to be divisive) extension of that, and in no way was I expecting a literal Engineer installation – giant head statue and all! – in the bowls of the planet.
[close]

Engineer

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 08, 2021, 03:26:42 AM
Spoiler
Yeah, it actually admittedly took me a little too long before I made the scientist connection. :D

I also love the way White so seamlessly weaves in concepts from Prometheus and Covenant into stories more based around the "traditional" films. Blue was a fascinating (and sure to be divisive) extension of that, and in no way was I expecting a literal Engineer installation – giant head statue and all! – in the bowls of the planet.
[close]
Spoiler
notice any other Easter eggs?
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 08, 2021, 03:34:25 AM
Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Quite a few dialogue-based ones, some Gibson references (the UPP), and the Balaji Imperial cigarettes for starters.

Also, not an Easter Egg per say, but would you say that the critters that birthed from Duncan at the end were actual Neomorphs, or some other tangential creation of the pathogen? They read like full on Neomorphs to me in that moment.
[close]

Engineer

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 08, 2021, 04:04:39 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Mar 08, 2021, 03:34:25 AM
Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Quite a few dialogue-based ones, some Gibson references (the UPP), and the Balaji Imperial cigarettes for starters.

Also, not an Easter Egg per say, but would you say that the critters that birthed from Duncan at the end were actual Neomorphs, or some other tangential creation of the pathogen? They read like full on Neomorphs to me in that moment.
[close]

Spoiler
yep! You got those! Also blue wielding the pulse rifle was a reference to Jeri from stronghold; the cigar smoking, gun wielding Android xeno. There's a few others scattered about in there too.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

That was 100% the intention. I didn't get it from the mention of the

Spoiler
whistling plates, but by the mention of the lips I got the design we were going for, then who it was.
[close]

I'm looking forward to speaking to Alex on the show so they can go into more detail about all of this.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 08, 2021, 01:25:03 AMQuestion for people that have finished the novel:

Spoiler
Maybe I missed a detail while reading, but do we know why exactly Blue chose this planet to come to in the Blackstar? If that was explained, I feel like I somehow missed that detail. I'd imagine Blue was drawn to the Engineer facility located here...
[close]

Spoiler
She's hunting for a cure to... being an Alien, and tracking down Engineer sites in the hopes of finding it.
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
It threw me a bit at first, but as I've said several times, it really harked back to the kind of mad fun many of the O.G. novels experimented with, and I dug it. In particular, if it wasn't an intentional nod to the Xeno-android in the comic Stronghold, it very much brought it to mind.
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Right? And yeah, I'm pretty sure those were supposed to be Neomorphs or something along the same lines.
[close]

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 07, 2021, 11:41:00 PMHasanova/Charybdis Complex is easily my favorite location in an Alien story outside of the films, and I found the whole political climate here to be incredibly compelling.

Also agreed. Visually it's an amazingly arresting locale and the political stuff also made it a lot more engaging than just being another space research colony.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 08, 2021, 08:47:13 AM
I'm looking forward to speaking to Alex on the show so they can go into more detail about all of this.

I am very excited for this! I've been through the spoiler-free interviews with Alex that I could find, but what I'm really itching for is your post-release one where they can properly dig into everything.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Spoiler
I'm going to have to read through again to digest all the finer details more closely, but the only thing that seemed out of place was the Weyland Industries facility over the engineer ruins. How does this work? I assume it was after Prometheus and pre-merger but that is a huge revelation that should really affect the rest of the series in a big way. If Weyland Industries had access to the pathogen all this time then what does that mean for the rest of the following films and plot? This feels like Charbydis' version of the 'where the eggs came from' mystery from the Cold Forge. Am I missing something here?
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed