Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 03, 2020, 03:53:38 PM

Author
Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis! (Read 97,911 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 01, 2021, 09:34:19 PM
Spoiler
white added some nice personal touches for those characters too, like calling "Leger" maple syrup was a reference to the real life Leger being Canadian, and "Suedbeck" having a watery grave was a reference to the real life Suedbeck being a water treatment scientist.
[close]

That's class!

AnthaiHero

Am I the only one that wants to see

Spoiler
Rook becoming homicidal and wanting revenge for Blue.
[close]

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: AnthaiHero on Mar 01, 2021, 10:10:19 PM
Am I the only one that wants to see

Spoiler
Rook becoming homicidal and wanting revenge for Blue.
[close]

I was actually thinking along them lines.

Spoiler
I could see Alex writing about the war and Rook starting a synthetic uprising against humanity during said war which could lead to things like Auton creation and what not. 
[close]

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 01, 2021, 10:24:37 PM
Spoiler
I could see Alex writing about the war and Rook starting a synthetic uprising against humanity during said war which could lead to things like Auton creation and what not. 
[close]

Spoiler
I asked Alex if they had any specific ideas/plans for a continuation and the gist was a follow-up would chronicle the interstellar war, but they doubt we'll be seeing another Alien novel with their name on it in the near future so they just wanted to leave things as open as possible for anyone to move on from.

I made sure to express my sadness lol.
[close]

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 01, 2021, 10:38:41 PM
Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 01, 2021, 10:24:37 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I asked Alex if they had any specific ideas/plans for a continuation and the gist was a follow-up would chronicle the interstellar war, but they doubt we'll be seeing another Alien novel with their name on it in the near future so they just wanted to leave things as open as possible for anyone to move on from.

I made sure to express my sadness lol.
[close]

I too must express my sadness at this  :'(

I may have to check out their Salvagers Trilogy.

Have you read it? 

Hicks, am I correct in thinking you have? 

Xiggz456

Titan needs to let Alex
Spoiler
complete a trilogy ASAP!
[close]

Vrastal

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 01, 2021, 09:15:13 PM
Quote from: Nazrel on Mar 01, 2021, 02:39:00 AM
I can get that but a lot of the characters didnt have many if any positive qualities, between being delusionally narcissistic, vile, greedy, or just repulsive. i could understand the characters but i didnt care what happened to most of them.

I will never understand why so many people need fictional characters to be "good" or "likeable" to fully enjoy a narrative. The concept is, uh, alien to me.

It isnt required there are "bad guys" i like but none of the main characters written did anything but annoy or irritate me. They didnt make me invested in them

hinkstar

Spoiler
Pretty sure it was definitely Neomorphs which was f**king awesome. I personally thought Duncan was a fantastic antagonist and seemed modeled after that psycho Navy Seal that Trump pardoned in 2019. Actually, while reading it seemed that a lot of current events seemed to influence the narrative which made the story all the more realistic in my opinion.
[close]
[/quote]

Spoiler
I can't think of a single current event that could be realistically relevant centuries from now.  Modern day geopolitical realities will hold no sway in interstellar space. There's a good chance Iran won't be a thing in 40 years, let alone in centuries.  I'd give Azerbaijan a .05% chance of being a nation for any characters in this timeline to have been born there. 

Alluding to current realities really put me off of this book and quite honestly frustrated me to the point of putting it down.  They really have no place in the Alien universe's timeline.
[close]

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 01, 2021, 10:57:35 PMI too must express my sadness at this  :'(

I'm assuming the uncertainty might relate to the Disney takeover. Does anyone know if/when Titan's deal runs out?

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 01, 2021, 10:57:35 PMI may have to check out their Salvagers Trilogy.

Have you read it?

I've read the first one. Magical fantasy isn't really my thing but blending it with space sci-fi definitely gave it an interesting slant. I really dig White's prose so that was solid. Despite being outside my usual comfort zone I did enjoy it and intend to pick up the rest eventually.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 01, 2021, 10:57:35 PM
I may have to check out their Salvagers Trilogy.

Have you read it? 

Hicks, am I correct in thinking you have?

I've read the first two and thoroughly enjoyed them. I've got the 3rd, but just not had the chance to sit down with it yet.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 02, 2021, 09:18:14 AM
Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 01, 2021, 10:57:35 PMI too must express my sadness at this  :'(

I'm assuming the uncertainty might relate to the Disney takeover. Does anyone know if/when Titan's deal runs out?

I believe it was recently renegotiated so I think we're safe for a while on the Alien front. It's more likely to do with wanting to do more original work.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 02, 2021, 12:42:32 PMI believe it was recently renegotiated so I think we're safe for a while on the Alien front. It's more likely to do with wanting to do more original work.

That's fair, and good to hear Titan have re-secured the licence.

Russ840

Yeah. That is comforting to hear.

Voodoo Magic

I'm close to halfway done. You ladies and gents are just too quick!

Russ840

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 02, 2021, 02:20:37 PM

How are you finding it so far ?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 02, 2021, 02:34:53 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 02, 2021, 02:20:37 PM

How are you finding it so far ?

Quite enjoyable!  Not pleased with what occurred to my personal favorite character thus far, but alas, I must concede to the nature of such things!  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed