User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis!  (Read 53078 times)

Kimarhi
Aug 12, 2021, 11:02:50 PM
Reply #600 on: Aug 12, 2021, 11:02:50 PM
Kradan and xiggz u the real gs.

Prez
Aug 12, 2021, 11:57:38 PM
Reply #601 on: Aug 12, 2021, 11:57:38 PM
In just a desire to seek enlightenment, there is a time where we all drop spoiler tags and just talk the film, show, or literary work at hand. I wonder what most feel here is the general acceptable time frame... unless one disagrees there is even such a thing.

I still get angry for people dropping the Vader is Luke's father spoiler.

;D

SiL
Aug 13, 2021, 01:09:02 AM
Reply #602 on: Aug 13, 2021, 01:09:02 AM
While I’ll always advocate for spoiler tags, you enter these threads at your own risk as soon as the product releases. I personally avoid the thread until I’ve finished reading to avoid both spoilers and opinions that could affect my own personal experience.
Sure, you enter at your own risk. But when everyone else is showing the courtesy of using spoiler tags, and you're replying to someone using spoiler tags, maybe don't be a c**t and follow suit rather than being too lazy to push a button?

Food for thought.

Kimarhi
Aug 13, 2021, 01:15:14 AM
Reply #603 on: Aug 13, 2021, 01:15:14 AM
It's almost as easy for you to not enter a thread talking about a book your totally going to read in the near future than it is for me to post a spoiler tag.

We can play the food for thought game all day baby. 

Kradan
Aug 13, 2021, 05:11:02 AM
Reply #604 on: Aug 13, 2021, 05:11:02 AM
I still think it's a bit unfair to demand from people to not talk spoilers about something that was released 6 months ago in the most of the world. Even if it's just now being released in your country 'cause a) it's not their fault and b) they might even not know about time delay

We really need to establish some time frame for keeping spoilers. Hicks ?

Corporal Hicks
Aug 13, 2021, 05:53:53 AM
Reply #605 on: Aug 13, 2021, 05:53:53 AM
It's a tricky one because like has been said it's only just come out in Australia and I wouldn't expect folk to be really aware of that since it's been out so long for the rest of us. But because it's been out for so long for the rest of us, it's clearly a danger to come into a thread talking about it.

Now we're aware of the circumstances, let's just remember it's only now coming out for some of our members, and let's just take the 10 seconds to add spoiler tags to any major plot points for the next month or so.

Kradan
Aug 13, 2021, 05:59:51 AM
Reply #606 on: Aug 13, 2021, 05:59:51 AM
Ok

HuDaFuK
Aug 13, 2021, 08:32:10 AM
Reply #607 on: Aug 13, 2021, 08:32:10 AM
It's almost as easy for you to not enter a thread talking about a book your totally going to read in the near future than it is for me to post a spoiler tag.

Except he's given a perfectly good reason why he'd look in here.

Seriously, you click one button. Stop being such dicks about it.

Torrens
Dec 29, 2021, 06:05:56 AM
Reply #609 on: Dec 29, 2021, 06:05:56 AM
I'm a fan of the series for 30 years now, though probably not as well versed as some of you. I went inside a Jeff Bezos store and got a promotion for his 21st century books on tape (on your phone) thing which I promptly forgot about. But some months later I check it out and there's several alien novels on there for free. I had always wanted to read an alien novel, but it's one of those things that I didn't get around to. I enjoyed the novelization of the Alien Isolation game. I listened to Alien Prototype which I liked less. Then I listened to Cold Forge and I could not stop. It was amazing storytelling made better by the fellow who read it (which I see some people disagree about). Listened to Podcasts and then fortunately Into Charybdis was also available so I heard that. Listened to all the Podcasts out there for the discussion afterwards which I also enjoyed. Cold Forge and Into Charybdis are incredible works, for this realm of expanded sci-fi fiction, or just incredible works in general. I probably would rate Cold Forge as the superior work, but Into Charybdis raises a lot of interest, concept sci-fi questions.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Torrens
Dec 29, 2021, 07:56:29 AM
Reply #610 on: Dec 29, 2021, 07:56:29 AM
Part 2, few additional thoughts

In ST:TNG/Voyager there's storylines about how people can overcome their basic biology, instincts, or to a lesser extent culture. In ST:DS9 there's storylines about how the biology in particular is overriding. i.e. The Jem Hadar boy doesn't care for Odo's outlook and wants to go back to the Dominion as soon as he learns of it. Odo meets an older non-Dominion changeling who explains to him he finds nothing interesting about the "solids". This foreshadows Odo also returning to his people in the final episode, despite all the buildup about his relationship with Kira. It's interesting to look at this work through that lens.

Regarding Robocop 2, what's shown in the film is that they can't get anyone to cooperate for the Robocop 2 project. No one wants to be disembodied and controlling a robot host. So they find a sociopath obsessed with living forever. He has some gripes (murders his old girlfriend) but otherwise carries on with controlling his monstrous robot host, which unlike the original Robocop can never walk among people with a degree of acceptance (e.g. at least with his police colleagues).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube RSS Feed