Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 03, 2020, 03:53:38 PM

Author
Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis! (Read 96,560 times)

HuDaFuK

Spoiler
Plus when she did get it, oh boy did she f**king get it.
[close]

BlueMarsalis79

Him "getting the kill" would have been corny and crap, especially with what he says as it happens, it is a good subversion that he didn't.

XenoHunter99

Spoiler
I agree with Huda. When she finally got it, she really got it! So, that was good.
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 23, 2021, 08:09:15 AM
Spoiler
I just don't think he deserved the kill either. Sure, everything with his kid was f**king brutal, but he'd spent the majority of the novel being one of the antagonists. He was such an arse to Kamran. And again, while I love all the duality and getting the stuff with him not being an antagonist, I just don't think I would have found it satisfying if he'd been the one to get the kill.
[close]

Spoiler
Separate from us disagreeing if Haroun earned that kill - A character not earning a kill or being too much of an ass to be satisfying as the delivery agent for justice I think does contradict what you love in the way Alex White writes his characters in a world that is not black and white, and hardly anyone seems to satisfyingly get what they earn or deserve.

To be honest, I was half expecting Duncan to survive the whole ordeal. :)
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I see where you're going with the rebuttal, but I don't bite. You feel he earned it for certain actions, I feel he didn't for others. There's no winners there, regardless of the black/white thing. Had he got the kill, I'm sure I'd have appreciated for the black and white nature of the world-building. But speaking purely from the typical POV of satisfaction, I'm glad he didn't get it.

And just a reminder for folk, Alex uses them/they/their.  :)

Kradan

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jun 22, 2021, 08:24:01 PM
Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jun 22, 2021, 04:50:22 PM
As usual, good work on the podcast. RidgeTop, good luck with your show.

Thanks! Show happened earlier this month at my University but it's in a gallery on the campus for a bit.

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 22, 2021, 05:59:17 PM
f**k

Anyway, got a link ?

Yep, here are the images I went with. The project was equestrian photography from last fall to this spring, specifically contrasting domestic and wild horses out here in Utah. This was a selection for the gallery from a number of different shoots I did:

https://adamzellerphotographer.pixieset.com/adamzellerbfashow2021/

And the gallery itself:

Spoiler

[close]

Nice pics, RidgeTop !  ;)

Fun fact: My dad absolutely loves horses. I'm gonna show him these

BlueMarsalis79

Kimarhi

I hope Alex can continue on with the series even after the Disney buyout.  It seems he is angling toward a major conflict in human space with the Aliens being overlooked and forgotten about in the conflict which I'm sure will raise its ugly head later. 

The only thing that even remotely tickled my Alien fancy the last decade or so has been the first six issues of defiance.  However as well as it started out I felt it really tapered off in the last six issues.  Charybdis held my interest from start to finish.  I feel I would've dug it even if I knew nothing about the Alienverse.   

Kradan

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 24, 2021, 02:27:55 AM
It seems he is angling toward a major conflict in human space with the Aliens being overlooked and forgotten about in the conflict which I'm sure will raise its ugly head later. 

I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you elaborate, please ?

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jun 23, 2021, 03:45:40 AM
Good work, RidgeTop. Thanks for sharing :)

Yes, Duncan was definitely a "bellend villain." I had to look that up. Thanks Hicks! Learning British slang here. :D

:laugh:

My favorite British disses that I've learned from Hicks are "bell end" and "ball ache" lol

Also congrats Ridgetop on your BFA.

Kradan

Speaking of Brits being weird: is it me or does Hicks' "but" sounds a bit like "boat" ? I definitely noticed it in earlier episodes

Also, Hicks you gotta stop shaming RidgeTop for not getting his hands on every goddamn piece of Alien media you liked/loved. Man gotta have his own life !

Russ840

I'm pretty sure Hicks only does it in jest.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 25, 2021, 08:58:16 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 24, 2021, 02:27:55 AM
It seems he is angling toward a major conflict in human space with the Aliens being overlooked and forgotten about in the conflict which I'm sure will raise its ugly head later. 

I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you elaborate, please ?

At the end of the book two human factions declared war on each other.  It seems that having such a war would be a bad idea with both Aliens running around and black goo stockpile throughout the galaxy. 

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 26, 2021, 05:03:23 AM
Speaking of Brits being weird:

Be careful Kradan! I can see Hicks starting to spin that hammer!

:laugh:

ZarnoldQuigley

Love both the Cold Forge and Charyribdib, as Jerry Fowler would say. Really enjoyed the villains in both. Duncan had some cheesy lines and was crazy. But I think that is exactly how she should be. Almost like a crazy 80s slasher maniac combined with the Aliens universe. I can just picture her in my head being a lunatic that just never dies. I could go on and on about the book.
Enjoyed both podcasts about the book but really wanted to hear Hicks thoughts on the one really great acid death towards the end. Seemed like the brutal acid death we have been waiting for ! Admitting I dont keep on a lot of Alien/Aliens expanded universe.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed