Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 05, 2019, 06:37:28 PM

Author
Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending (Read 43,422 times)

Highland

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jan 19, 2019, 01:49:39 PM
While I like Event Horizon, I don't think it's a good film. At all. There are bizarre choices and it's looks over substance (like most 90's films and all of Anderson's films)

I dunno, there's not much like it, spooky ghost ship in space. Good acting, disturbing scenes, it's got proper jump scares too.

Rez evil movie's are constructed exactly like AVP, the concept is good, but it's ultimately let down by bad editing, bad shots and average acting. The first encounter in AVP is a good example, it's kinda hard to tell whats going on, you've got 19 foot Alien tails, something happening with the net, weird flashes of stuff happening.

That pyramid they were in genuinely felt like it was about the size of a Caravan.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jan 20, 2019, 01:22:29 AM
But was it truly a good film?

Absolutely not. Never saw a more soporific movie at the time.

skull-splitter

Quote from: Highland on Jan 20, 2019, 03:05:08 AM
While I like Event Horizon, I don't think it's a good film. At all. There are bizarre choices and it's looks over substance (like most 90's films and all of Anderson's films)

I dunno, there's not much like it, spooky ghost ship in space. Good acting, disturbing scenes, it's got proper jump scares too.

Rez evil movie's are constructed exactly like AVP, the concept is good, but it's ultimately let down by bad editing, bad shots and average acting. The first encounter in AVP is a good example, it's kinda hard to tell whats going on, you've got 19 foot Alien tails, something happening with the net, weird flashes of stuff happening.

That pyramid they were in genuinely felt like it was about the size of a Caravan.
Event Horizon had some sloppy designs and the final cut didn't help either.
It was quite solid for what it was, hell raiser kind of clone in space. But there's a nice thesis on design that refers to the use of the rotating captains chair which makes no sense whatsoever and the hamfisted use of some special plugging device was ill conceived as well.

Compare this to how subtle Alien looked while doing essentially the same.

It's just not a very good film, but just entertaining enough to be quite forgiving.
Same applies to AvP: it flows so much better than Requiem, it has better use of characters, it references the classic comics for the predators to a degree.

It just f**ks up the timeline and established lore for both franchises, all to try and reinvent the wheel.

Wysps

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jan 20, 2019, 01:59:24 PM

Have to agree. It's been many years since I've seen Event Horizon, but I can only remember it for its 'disturbing-ness' and nothing else.

Highland

I don't think it's fair to compare Event Horizon to Alien, different ball games.

I mean if your benchmark is Alien, you're not gona like many films.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Wysps on Jan 22, 2019, 11:59:11 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jan 20, 2019, 01:59:24 PM

Have to agree. It's been many years since I've seen Event Horizon, but I can only remember it for its 'disturbing-ness' and nothing else.

Actually i was referring to the first Resident Evil movie  ;)

Wysps

Oops  :laugh: :laugh: 

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jan 20, 2019, 08:57:03 PM
Quote from: Highland on Jan 20, 2019, 03:05:08 AM

Event Horizon had some sloppy designs and the final cut didn't help either.
It was quite solid for what it was, hell raiser kind of clone in space. But there's a nice thesis on design that refers to the use of the rotating captains chair which makes no sense whatsoever and the hamfisted use of some special plugging device was ill conceived as well.

Compare this to how subtle Alien looked while doing essentially the same.

It's just not a very good film, but just entertaining enough to be quite forgiving.
Same applies to AvP: it flows so much better than Requiem, it has better use of characters, it references the classic comics for the predators to a degree.

It just f**ks up the timeline and established lore for both franchises, all to try and reinvent the wheel.

That's my issue with AvP.  If I could say one positive thing about Requiem, it's that it didn't touch the Predator lore as much as AvP did.  Still much prefer it to the latter, but if they instead tried to focus on the original storyline instead of adding in the cooperative civilization stuff between humans and Predators...

Nameless 1

Sad, but not surprised to see another writer blame the reception on "toxic" fans rather than the poor quality of the writing itself. You can do a different approach/formula, but if said changes contradict the lore/logic established by previous movies, games, and books, then it is going to cause problems with the story and the fan's reception.

I think it's a disservice to the fans to claim that they don't understand the difficulty of getting a film made. It gives us little to no credit, and comes off as whining that the problem is the fans, not the movie.

It's somehow become alright to blame fans for not liking a movie/product, rather than the product not being what the fans/audience/customers want.

Nothing I've seen, read, or heard in the original sciript convinces me that Black/Dekker did enough research into the lore or touched base with the fans to make sure they were making a movie the fans would want to see. The fact that they had the well made suit predator quickly killed by their "awesome" Upgrade predator is evidence of this. That scene alone was enough to turn many viewers off of the film.

I'm sure Black/Dekker worked hard on the script, but there were reactions and criticisms of said script way before the filming commenced. They could have taken said criticism to heart and course corrected, but they chose not to, as was their decision. The reception the film received is directly on them, not because of so-called toxic fans.

A wise director/writer would use this experience to develop/improve their craft, rather than make excuses.

Predwars24

As a Writer myself it seems a bit whiny to blame anything but yourself. When you write a movie you're supposed to do your research, even if you don't like it. When in school and you write an essay about I don't know let's just say something about the book Night by Ellie Wiesel, you can't get an A on the essay unless you have read the book. Writing a screenplay is very similar and that if it's a sequel in a movie franchise you can't make a good movie unless you're consistent with the rest. This whole movie is turning to be a scenario similar to Gremlins 2, where it almost felt like it wasn't even in the same universe as the original as it's so different from it. Point is if you make a bad movie you don't go blaming whoever or whatever for the situation, unless you're like the whole Suicide Squad production where they literally rushed a script in six weeks, then you have no excuses. If you make a bad movie own up to it and do better, that's all you can do.

Space_Dementia

So last night I watched the film for the second time, first being at the cinema on its first day of release... ... wow this film is a mess... I didn't quite grasp how bad the script was first time around, but after watching it last night, its hard to believe this movie was co-written by Shane Black as well as directed... I sorta enjoy the movie but nothing really gels, it trys to build the characters but goes no where with them, the film is directionless... the actual steelbook that I purchased from Zavvi is better than the movie.

The Old One

The Old One

It's a amazing directionless waste of budget.

Huggs

Would've been more entertaining as an audible drama.

The Old One

The Old One

You're probably right, and maybe for the "The Predator" by Audible timeline,
the biggest Predator film budget maybe existed yet for a good script.

Voodoo Magic

This thread brought back to life....

Samhain13

Necroposting is getting into all the boards.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed