Alien: Phalanx by Scott Sigler

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 10, 2019, 12:59:28 PM

Author
Alien: Phalanx by Scott Sigler (Read 88,848 times)

Frosty Venom

Don't get me wrong, I'm super keen to read this.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, of course- but when something looks bad, it's disingenuous not to call it out, especially if it's on an otherwise good thing.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Titan wouldn't hire subpar amateur writers to pen their novels. So why do they allow subpar amateur digital artists to create the covers? Cover art is still a marketing tool so it's ridiculous to me that they allow this lack of pride and professionalism in their products.

Still very excited to read this novel though.

Still Collating...

I still remember how I felt when I saw the horrible cover art for The Cold Forge, the infamous ugly A:CM alien with 5 back tubes as the cover of such a great novel.

Maybe there's a correlation, the uglier the cover the better the novel? So we might be getting a really good read out of Phalanx... :laugh: 

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Nov 23, 2019, 05:44:09 PM
Titan wouldn't hire subpar amateur writers to pen their novels. So why do they allow subpar amateur digital artists to create the covers? Cover art is still a marketing tool so it's ridiculous to me that they allow this lack of pride and professionalism in their products.

Still very excited to read this novel though.

I think it's honestly just a problem of what they have to work with. From what I can tell of their catalog a lot of it seems to be re-purposed images from promo shots or composited from other sources to essentially "sculpt" the image. The way they do it might be enough to get the job done even if the resulting cover art generally isn't that good.

I mean I don't know what's stopping them from downloading Blender and just making a couple of different Aliens to pose for the cover. It'd probably look better TBH. I'm still going to buy the book as well.

SM

SM

Quote from: Still Collating... on Nov 24, 2019, 12:45:48 PM
I still remember how I felt when I saw the horrible cover art for The Cold Forge, the infamous ugly A:CM alien with 5 back tubes as the cover of such a great novel.

Maybe there's a correlation, the uglier the cover the better the novel? So we might be getting a really good read out of Phalanx... :laugh:

By the time we knew it was "such a great novel" the cover art had been corrected.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Corrected in the sense they deleted the extra dorsal spine, but it was a still a shit cover.

The Old One

The Old One

And yet, it's probably the best of Titan Books' recent covers, I desperately want a hardback.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

It appears that this book is either available as Hardcover or Paperback but no Mass Market Paperback. "Bug Hunt" was also released this way and both books share the "Aliens" moniker which probably has nothing to do with anything but just something I noticed. I'll be getting the hardcover though!

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 25, 2019, 09:00:42 AM
Corrected in the sense they deleted the extra dorsal spine, but it was a still a shit cover.

I dig TCF cover tbh, especially that frontal view of ridged Alien's head and "cold" palette. Yeah, it's still just photoshoped image but it's among better ones

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Dec 29, 2019, 02:13:58 PMIt appears that this book is either available as Hardcover or Paperback but no Mass Market Paperback.

In my experience the 2014 and Rage War trilogies came in both paperback sizes but everything since has only had the larger one.

The Old One

The Old One

It deserves a more classy cover though.

426Buddy

426Buddy

The TCF cover is horrible. Like most of Titans cover art, it comes across as cheap and lazy. If they aren't going to put even the slightest effort into the cover art then I wish they would just go with a blank cover and title only.

I still buy the books because I'm a fan and the story is the real meat of the product not the cover. It doesn't stop me from wishing they didn't look like photoshopped garbage though.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 29, 2019, 03:13:10 PM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Dec 29, 2019, 02:13:58 PMIt appears that this book is either available as Hardcover or Paperback but no Mass Market Paperback.

In my experience the 2014 and Rage War trilogies came in both paperback sizes but everything since has only had the larger one.

In my section of the States it's nothing but smaller ones in the book stores. "If It Bleeds" and "Bug Hunt" are the only two Titan novels I've seen in the larger paperbacks.

felix

felix

I support Mass Paperbacks all the way.

Hardcovers are too expensive and the larger paperbacks take up too much space.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed