The Game's Development Story Discussion

Started by Salt The Fries, Feb 08, 2013, 08:18:47 PM

Author
The Game's Development Story Discussion (Read 99,935 times)

YutaniDitch

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 26, 2013, 04:24:26 PM
Board of Directors, homie, jeeze! :laugh:

Xhan.. are you telling us that AvP 2 could've been better than it already was? That what you're saying?

The Aliens curse, man. IT'S A CURSE I TELL YOU!

Hey, I know CEO, CFO, COO... GImme a break, that's a lot of acronyms to memorise!  :P Never heard that one before... Like I say, ask and you're ignorant no more!  :D

I know you were asking Xhan, but I will tell you this much: make AvP2 with AVP 2010 graphics, and I am game! Just that, mod it the hell out, gimme that game in full cosmetic redo, and I will buy it instantly! I loved the game, but it is dated now... It is hard for me to go back, having seen CRYSIS HEAVEN OF GRAPHICS and go back to that polygonal crappy graphics! With Crysis or AVP 2010 graphics, I would give AVP2 a go again! Hear that, MOD wizzards?!  :laugh:

redxavier

I can't remember much from AVP2, or at least I get confused between the two of them, but AVP1... I would so love to play an updated version of it. I still remember the beginning fondly, first time I'ver ever been so scared playing a game. There's a video floating around where someone remade it using the CryEngine and it looks pretty good. Probably got Fox'ed though as they say.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: redxavier on Feb 26, 2013, 06:48:19 PM
I can't remember much from AVP2, or at least I get confused between the two of them, but AVP1... I would so love to play an updated version of it. I still remember the beginning fondly, first time I'ver ever been so scared playing a game. There's a video floating around where someone remade it using the CryEngine and it looks pretty good. Probably got Fox'ed though as they say.

The first game could be fun to play (but as I've said elsewhere, had an unfortunate effect of not conveying a sense of traction if you were an Alien, because it was like gliding along on butter), yet had virtually zero story. You were effectively just playing through set-pieces.

Second one had a weirdly convoluted story.

I wouldn't want to see either of them updated, but there's no reason someone couldn't make up something new with the tools presently available.

Xhan

Xhan.. are you telling us that AvP 2 could've been better than it already was? That what you're saying?

Actually, much like Gearbox, they had press conferences on how awesome AvP2 was going to be and even took swipes at Rebellion while doing it. We got about half the game they promised.

Aliens grabbing and carrying people in both SP and MP

Best lag compensation model then available (HA)

Multispecies versus game modes

in game clan coloring and tag support

The reason the  story doesn't make much sense is about 35% of it is missing.

-Android organ replacement facility

-Rykov's backstory was supposed to actually be a Pred mission

-Boss sequence puzzle fights for every race turned into spam the giant health bar fests

-Eisenberg's backstory was turned into a bunch of post it notes

-Most main actors had to double duty on voices after "project re-evaluation" aka sending everyone over to the NOLF2 section

- Other Marine squads on the ship literally handwaved into existence and then killed off, mostly in cutscenes that were supposed to be full levels

redxavier

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 26, 2013, 07:05:34 PM
The first game could be fun to play (but as I've said elsewhere, had an unfortunate effect of not conveying a sense of traction if you were an Alien, because it was like gliding along on butter), yet had virtually zero story. You were effectively just playing through set-pieces.

Ah, that's the one with Fury 161 and Gateway Station right? I enjoyed those. I remember spending hours just console spawning various creatures and watching the chaos unfold. I don't remember any sort of story and and wikipedia page doesn't seem to indicate any!

Shame that you couldn't get away with doing this now. It's clear from the other thread that everyone has their own ideas and no story's going to not have someone roll their eyes. Why do you need a story at all? Just have a series of vignettes, each a self-enclosed story with its own setting, style and characters.

livin_target

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 26, 2013, 07:05:34 PM
yet had virtually zero story. You were effectively just playing through set-pieces.

I actually thought the Marine story was pretty funny in a macabre way:

You wake up alone on the worst planet in the galaxy and it turns out you've been left behind because you slept in or something. And there's plenty of aliens around to keep you company. Oh and a rescue team is on their wa- actually scratch that. They're all dead. Looks like you'll have to rescue yourself. Now the process involves going through huge empty colonies; dark atmosphere processors and derelict ships but finally! Finally! you are rescued!

Oh wait no. The orbital platform we took you to is infested too, and there's predators to boot as well! And some weird robot alien hybrid... Good thing you can't get back in that dropship that took you there in the first place. Never fear, there's an escape pod not too far away! A USCM ship is nearby and you'll be playing knife games with their android in no time!

Now welcome to the Tyrargo! SURPRISE MORE ALIENS FOR SOME REASON! And Predators. And Predaliens. We're still going to get you out of this! Actually, no wait. We're not. The company has decided that you can go screw yourself. Goodbye.

Just kidding! I'm opening these doors for ten seconds. Go through it or be forever locked in this room with the sentry guns we didn't bother putting on when you could've used their help to kill the predator and predalien. Good thing you managed to fight through those praetorians too! Now there's a dropship waiting for you in the hanger!

HAHA Just kidding again! It's an alien Queen!

Defeated her? Good! I guess you can starve to death, or wait until the aliens get you too. Whichever comes first.

Xenomorphine

I forgot just how nonsensical that first game was! :laugh:

Most bizarre thing about it was the inclusion of the 'xenoborgs', who were just really slow walking platforms for giant lasers. I remember playing through it and being confused about why they'd been manufactured, because they didn't bother to even so much as pounce or anything.

And, wow... Never knew the second one got butchered that ferociously. :o The strangeness of it kind of makes more sense now.

I remember getting the feeling that Rykov's mission was going to unfold in a flashback mission, actually.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: Xhan on Feb 26, 2013, 07:32:09 PM

Actually, much like Gearbox, they had press conferences on how awesome AvP2 was going to be and even took swipes at Rebellion while doing it. We got about half the game they promised.

Aliens grabbing and carrying people in both SP and MP

Best lag compensation model then available (HA)

Multispecies versus game modes

in game clan coloring and tag support

The reason the  story doesn't make much sense is about 35% of it is missing.

-Android organ replacement facility

-Rykov's backstory was supposed to actually be a Pred mission

-Boss sequence puzzle fights for every race turned into spam the giant health bar fests

-Eisenberg's backstory was turned into a bunch of post it notes

-Most main actors had to double duty on voices after "project re-evaluation" aka sending everyone over to the NOLF2 section

- Other Marine squads on the ship literally handwaved into existence and then killed off, mostly in cutscenes that were supposed to be full levels
Gosh, didn't realize all of that was true. Game is still one of my all time favorites though :P

I remember replaying it not too long ago, and I really couldn't tell you anything that involves the story. Just as forgettable as the one we got I suppose, though I do know I enjoyed the way the campaigns overlapped at points.

RagingDragon

You cats must really not pay attention to the story in games. :-\ AvP 2 had a great one. They were able to somehow obtain flight telemetry on the Derelict and trace it back to a planet where they found a ruined civilization. This is where the observation pods and hab complex are set up, with security by Rykov and his Iron Bears, and this is where the Marines and Predators end up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_versus_Predator_2#Story_2

Wiki is your friend.

Story was light years ahead of this craptastic crap-flavored crap salad, and gave us great movie-like moments without having to force them into an impossible facepalm of a narrative. :laugh: The dark side is flowing through me.

livin_target

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 27, 2013, 12:40:23 AM
You cats must really not pay attention to the story in games. :-\ AvP 2 had a great one. They were able to somehow obtain flight telemetry on the Derelict and trace it back to a planet where they found a ruined civilization. This is where the observation pods and hab complex are set up, with security by Rykov and his Iron Bears, and this is where the Marines and Predators end up.

It makes me wonder what they could do with that story in this day and age now that Prometheus has shed some light on the engineers. Prometheus certainly wasn't my favorite film but I can't help but think what would've happened if you added in aspects like the black goo to the storyline as well.

YutaniDitch

OK, who did it? Who got my AVP2 game? I need it back! I need to replay it, although I kinda saw it on Youtube for nostalgia sake, and man, those seriously outdated graphics are a major turn off!  :P

At least, the first one had darkness and scary facehuggers... I remember dreading to play that level where you come out of the APC and then you know that at the bottom, you had a barely visible facehugger that almost gave me a heart attack EVERY SINGLE time it jumped at my face! Seriously, I only got to the ending of that game ONCE! I kid you not! Up until this day, that was the only time I ever screamed in a game! HAHAHAH 

Well, not quite! Just until I got attacked by the alligators in FAR CRY 3!  :-[
Boy, did I jump out of my skin on that one!

In AVP2, they lacked that...the scariness... The hugger was weak, the levels lacked the atmosphere, and the story was pretty boring! I prefer the first one definitely over the second one!

Also, AVP HAD A STORY?!?!? Really?! I thought it was just random levels with just a silly guy on a screen giving us background and missions (actually, just 'pull the lever' and stuff like that)! HAHAHA

Blacklabel

You cats must really not pay attention to the story in games. :-\ AvP 2 had a great one.

Aye. The game had a wonderfully realized setting. A real work of love :) The Observation pods and other areas were very well made and i loved the nods to the Nostromo set designs here and there. (The air vents! The dinning areas!) The pda's had tons of info on backgrounds and characters and i loved browsing through them along the way. 

Shame about the development process :/

by the way.. there are papercraft models of the AVP2 Alien warrior, runner and egg :)
http://noturnosukhoi.blogspot.pt/2011/12/alien-runner-16.html

RagingDragon

Quote from: Blacklabel on Feb 27, 2013, 01:39:39 AM
You cats must really not pay attention to the story in games. :-\ AvP 2 had a great one.

Aye. The game had a wonderfully realized setting. A real work of love :) The Observation pods and other areas were very well made and i loved the nods to the Nostromo set designs here and there. (The air vents! The dinning areas!) The pda's had tons of info on backgrounds and characters and i loved browsing through them along the way. 

Shame about the development process :/

by the way.. there are papercraft models of the AVP2 Alien warrior, runner and egg :)
http://noturnosukhoi.blogspot.pt/2011/12/alien-runner-16.html
Aww cooooooool.

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Feb 27, 2013, 01:37:55 AM
In AVP2, they lacked that...the scariness... The hugger was weak, the levels lacked the atmosphere, and the story was pretty boring! I prefer the first one definitely over the second one!

I think they were scary in both. The ones in AvP 99 were totally evil, with that lightning-speed screaming facehug. I remember the second ones being about as fast too... from parts like the lab where you release them all, or if you ever played a multiplayer match with lifecycle (the moment of true AvP glory) the huggers were very fast and almost impossible to dodge.

I had a very easy time hugging marines in lifecycle mp. ;) I guarantee you some of them jumped lol.

YutaniDitch

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 27, 2013, 01:53:26 AM

I think they were scary in both. The ones in AvP 99 were totally evil, with that lightning-speed screaming facehug. I remember the second ones being about as fast too... from parts like the lab where you release them all, or if you ever played a multiplayer match with lifecycle (the moment of true AvP glory) the huggers were very fast and almost impossible to dodge.

I had a very easy time hugging marines in lifecycle mp. ;) I guarantee you some of them jumped lol.

Actually, I am writing you this on a break from an extensive search after my AVP 1 and AVP 2 CDs and I AM FREAKING OUT! Too bad the multiplayer in AVP2 is no longer active... Or is it?  ???

Now, if only there was a MOD who could use a FAR CRY 2 editor or an UNREAL 3 editor to redo the whole game in all its glory! OK, more realistically, just have a MOD to AVP2 that could make the graphics look better and with shaders in them to add sliminess, that would be great! Now, if you'll excuse me, Raging, I must resume 'my very rigid search' for the AVP game classics! See ya in a bit...  :laugh:

RagingDragon

AvP2 master server patch, by x-M-x dawg. Been posted before but here:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=47578.0

The more players, the better! The mp in that game was sooo much fun. I'm ecstatic to see it still going. The truly great games never die. ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed