First Marvel Collection Revealed

Started by Russ840, Aug 19, 2020, 07:48:02 PM

Author
First Marvel Collection Revealed (Read 51,608 times)

judge death

Oh? Didnt know that or missed it if it was mentioned earlier, well then I can remove that point from them. Last I checked on dark horse was that they paid the artists when using their art later on but its...15 years? I checked that so it seems things have changed. Well now I will dark horse minus points and mention it when fit. Thanks HuDaFuk :) hmm what happened with the law of copyright and artist where as a creator of something you have the right to be paid for using ones art/music etc? Know some smaller comic studios doing it, so guess its a contract detail? :/

SiL

SiL

"Work for hire". Basically the comic companies paid the artists to perform some work under the understanding the artist doesn't own the work, the company does.

Local Trouble

That was the primary reason behind the formation of Image Comics.

SM

SM

Creator owned stuff at Dark Horse would probably have royalties, but I can't imagined license stuff would. There would be a one off payment.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 17, 2020, 08:34:56 AM
Quote from: judge death on Sep 17, 2020, 05:08:10 AM2: Not giving artist money by royalties, as artist do have the same rights as music creators but its rare here.

I don't really see how this one can be considered Marvel's fault.

If they were legally required to pay royalties, they would. If they're not doing it, it implies artists don't have the same rights as music creators, in which case it's the law that's the issue and not Marvel. And as someone (I forget who, sorry) pointed out earlier in this thread, Dark Horse apparently didn't pay all their contributors royalties further down the line, and I don't see anyone criticising them for doing exactly the same thing.

Musicians ARE artists.

It really comes down to your agreement prior to starting the work.

Voodoo Magic

It's all about what's above the dotted line your signing.

Perfect-Organism

Absolutely.

Unless, you didn't sign anything, and someone just took it, as per the current situation whereby Marvel appropriated Tristan Jones' work.

SM

SM

If Tristan already did that as a job for Dark Horse or Neca and was paid (I don't recall if that's the case), then Marvel own it.

Perfect-Organism

That would be true.  I vaguely recall reading somewhere that this was not paid work.  Only Tristan Jones could confirm that.

tyrannosaurusjones

It's not. It's a drawing I did for my cousin. It's up on his wall right now, along with the one the tail came from.

At the end of the day, I don't care about whether I get to work on Aliens again -- I'd love to, but this isn't about that -- nor is it about seeking kind of legal restitution -- it's just the principal matter of it. I want to know how I can not have this happen again to anyone else. Honestly, it's the most infuriating and degrading thing.

SM

SM

Thanks for clarifying.

Has there been any follow up in terms of you getting more work (obviously not for Marvel) from the press coverage?

tyrannosaurusjones

Nah, nothing. I wasn't exactly expecting that to be the case, I just wanted to make sure people knew I was angry and that it wasn't cricket.

There's something I had sort of bubbling at IDW which is big if it happens and definitely another bucket-lister if it happens, but that was sorta kinda in the works before all this.

I did actually reach out to someone at Marvel though, I got shitty seeing the Stormbreaker showcase and was like "you promote these incredible talents on this hand, yet allow this on the other? No thank you", so we'll see what happens there.

SM

SM

Fingers crossed.

426Buddy

Ditto...

I love your work :)

Xiggz456

Going for $125 on Amazon, 1032 pages! And I noticed that the cover art is the OG Mark Nelson so hopefully they completely pulled Land's cover.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed