First Alien: Isolation Screenshots

Started by ikarop, Dec 13, 2013, 08:22:23 AM

Author
First Alien: Isolation Screenshots (Read 51,907 times)

Powerloader

Because Amanda Ripley is a female and unless she's dressed skimpy like Lara Croft then it will be no good.  :laugh: 

Corporal Hicks

Because it's the insistence on relying on Ripley and Ripley-like characters. It's boring and overdone. I feel it's time for the franchise to move on -effectively.

Acid_Reign161

Sorry to go back to the Special Order 937 debate, but since I've read everyone's interpretation of it, i felt compelled to offer my own;

Firstly, in my opinion, there is no doubt whatsoever that Ash knew about the special order BEFORE he left Thedus, he was put on the ship SPECIFICALLY for this task, and the company (or at least whoever issued the order) was aware of the hostile organism BEFORE the Nostromo landed on LV-426. Now, before you write me off, here is the evidence presented in the movie;

1. The most senior officer is the only crew member on the ship with access to Muther. During the opening scenes of the movie Kane is heard saying "Dallas, Muther wants to talk with you" to which the captain responds "Yeah...my eyes only." Later in the movie, after Dallas is (presumed) dead (or killed depending which cut of the movie you roll with) and Ash asks Ripley what she wants him to do, she responds "What you've been doing; Nothing. I have access to Muther now and I'll get my own answers thank you." (Implying she didn't have access prior to Dallas' demise, and, as she stated earlier in the movie "When Dallas is off the ship, I'm senior officer." Now...If this was all a co-incidence, and Ash didn't know anything about this before they left Thedus, then, explain how he received special order 937 once the Nostromo had left for Earth? He had no access to Muther. Thus, he had his orders before they left Thedus.

2. The company (or whoever issued special order 937) knew in advance there was a hostile organism on the planet. Whether that be prior knowledge due to a previously unseen encounter, or (most likely) the Derelict warning beacon had already been deciphered fully. There is no chance that (as someone suggested here) they *didnt* know until Kane was facehugged. How do we know this? Again, because it is in Special Order 937; (see highlighted sentence in screenshot)

So what does this tell us? They knew there was a hostile organism on the planet before the Nostromo got there... Dallas states that he shipped out 5 times with another science officer, who was replaced two days before they left Thedus with Ash. Ash would have HAD to be aware of his orders before he left Thedus (meaning he was put there intentionally) In my opinion, i can't see how or why any of this is being debated...its all in the movie :)

Xenoscream

Its_Auto agree with all of your points there.

On Amanda Ripley - well I think it could make a good story, I mean she has a clear motivation to try and discover what happened to the Nostromo, however it could have just as easily been a relative of another member of the crew. I'm not too worried about that.

I really like the idea of a more stealth based game - that gives the impression that being detected = death, i.e. you will not be running around gunning everything that moves down, but rather having to spend the vast majority of the time avoiding confrontation. I think this will add some genuine scares and is the right approach for an Alien game.

Also I wonder how my the Alien's acid blood will play a part here - it could be the case that you just can't shoot it for fear of creating a hull breach.

PVTDukeMorrison

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 20, 2013, 11:48:04 AM
Because it's the insistence on relying on Ripley and Ripley-like characters. It's boring and overdone. I feel it's time for the franchise to move on -effectively.
Here's an idea, how about instead of revisiting the same characters from the movies, they (brace for it) make new and original ones

Cal427eb

I thought this thread was about screenshots.

PVTDukeMorrison

Quote from: Cal427eb on Dec 20, 2013, 04:52:18 PM
No, its about paragraph long answers to a debate that should have been kept to PMs or its own thread

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Dec 20, 2013, 04:55:48 PM
No, its about paragraph long answers to a debate that should have been kept to PMs or its own thread

Well it is kind of relevant ~ earlier in the thread we were discussing theories based on the screenshots of the game, and speculating where the xeno in the game is from, why there are clones and soldiers aboard this station etc... the debate about Ash stems from "who knows what" about the derelict, LV-426, the alien...and more importantly whether special order 937 is some sort of umbrella corp style conspiracy within Weyland Yutani, or whether it was more likely a lone wolf operating in his/her own interests (similar to Carter Burke) which is relevant if it turns out the xeno on this station is from LV-426, considering this game is set between 'Alien' and 'Aliens' :)

Cal427eb

And you guys have just been going in circles repeating the same thing, not getting anywhere with this debate. The screenshots don't evenhave anything to do with what you're discussing.

UDA

UDA

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Dec 20, 2013, 04:55:48 PM

You should read it. There's a reason it was brought up in this thread.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: UDA on Dec 20, 2013, 08:21:58 AM
I also noticed on Wikipedia that it's been called a 'Horror Stealth' Game. I don't remember reading that anywhere else? Does anyone know of anything that backs it up? Or did I just completely miss the boat?

Edit: I think I found the source of that: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/leaked-alien-isolation-screenshots-already-look-better-than-colonial-marines/1100-6416706/

A first person stealth game... I don't know how to feel about that.
I think stealth could work pretty well in a fps... It worked well in the chronicles of riddick: escape from butcher bay.

Quote from: Cal427eb on Dec 20, 2013, 05:11:09 PM
And you guys have just been going in circles repeating the same thing, not getting anywhere with this debate. The screenshots don't evenhave anything to do with what you're discussing.
Yes, the thread went on a little bit of a tangent, and I think I'm the one to blame for that... Which I apologize for. But conversations tend to do that. I'm willing to let the debate die because, you're right, it just keeps going in circles.

Jarac

Jarac

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Dec 20, 2013, 04:48:57 PM
Here's an idea, how about instead of revisiting the same characters from the movies, they (brace for it) make new and original ones

*ding**ding**ding* Exactly! Of course, they can't half-ass it like Colonial Marines (arguably, they went full-ass).

Powerloader

You don't know she's going to be "Ripley-like".  Not every strong female character has to be a Ripley clone. 

PRJ_since1990

*ding**ding**ding* Exactly! Of course, they can't half-ass it like Colonial Marines (arguably, they went full-ass).
[/quote]€
Lol @ full ass.
The Amanda thing is as others have said, in my opinion, just rehashing old characters and I feel like the series can't go anywhere. Now, if you want to do an Alien(s) style story where you have an onslaught on a hive by the USCM, that's cool by me. New characters, different story, similar model. That works.

Powerloader

Yeah, let's have a marines vs aliens game.  They've never done that before. 

Boo!  No more Ripley clones.  How about Hicks 2.0 instead.  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed