NECA Aliens

Started by DerelictShip, Jul 07, 2013, 12:50:59 AM

Author
NECA Aliens (Read 815,674 times)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I mean that's kinda the point? In the Spitter's case it comes across like what it is imo, a mix of the Alien and The Neomorph.

And the Burster's just a Runner, but covered in symmetrical pustules and translucent parts, the front of the head actually reminds me of this a bit:

Only green and glowly because vidja. 

But I actually feel like the designers get H.R Giger just fine. Even if the colours go to more extremes occasionally because of the medium it exists in. I'd say that's pretty evident in their renditions of the original Drone, the Warrior and Runner translating through just fine, even improving upon the proportions of the skull in relation to the face on this guy:

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

No reviewers have encountered quality control issues on this line so far, probably because of being sourced from the models in the videogame itself, and the consensus appears to be that they are improvements all around.

Hope to be getting mine soon.

426Buddy

426Buddy

They look pretty great, hoping my local walmart gets then in.

judge death

judge death

No release of these yet in Sweden :(

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

No sightings in the UK as yet either.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

More receipts advocating them as better than the originals in every way.

SiL

SiL

That Runner looks so goofy standing upright in the thumbnail.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Not everyone can pose as well as you or I.  ;D

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

The postives, having a smaller figure of course means that it stands easier, the QC on newer figures is better (but it's NECA, so it'll never guarantee a decent figure), no warped limbs as of yet.

The negatives, lips and teeth still look off. The lip is fat and ugly, and the teeth are all the same, no K9s or anything, and are barely visible, very small teeth (not saying the runner before had better teeth, but at least they were individual teeth that could be repainted). The head shape is at least nice. The neck is still long, for any half upright position the head would need to be up as much as it can go in comparison to the neck, and the neck to be arched forward/down as much as possible. Maybe only then would we get a nice upright pose? But the angle of the tail makes problems there too. The tail is very short (but I know that it's game accurate). The hands are too big and wide, looks cartoonish. The figure is way too small, we finally see how big they are compared to marines and other Aliens, pathetic. They look like toddlers. I know it's a matter of taste, but for me this size of body mold cannot fit in with my NECA and McFarlane collection, especially for that price point.

The spitters were a tad bit bigger in the game than the runner, but I'm afraid they're not gonna upscale the mold there... I'm waiting to see if they'll do accurate in-game drones and warriors.   

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The neck's as long as it should be, and the size's also closer to being accurate, as you can see right here:

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 20, 2022, 04:48:08 PMA long overdue comparison, but somewhat flawed as it's not the original NECA version, as I have substantially simplified the sides of the head to attempt to make it more symmetrical overall and have done a lot of painting.
https://i.imgur.com/xPEil4V.jpegImo it only looks better for that as it was never accurate in the first place, but otherwise it's much the same, and for the purposes of comparison makes not much difference.
https://i.imgur.com/YKuZg4g.jpegHere you can see they did not even get the head ridges right under the dome.
https://i.imgur.com/atk0Si8.jpegOr the head shape in general...
https://i.imgur.com/wb6sc9D.jpegOr the symmetry in the face, for context, that's Kotobukiya in the foreground featuring a highly accurate sculpt.

Ironically this "videogame figure" ends up far closer to the 1992 Alien design than the "film figure" that was way oversized, the hands look fine, nowhere near as oversized as most depictions of the 1986 Alien design.

The only thing that's pathetic's that it took NECA to use 3D models someone else created to finally make a good Alien that's not in the 1/4 scale, or an accessory pack, or something bigger like the Queen (and even that's fill to the brim with QC issues that ought to be unacceptable because of the price you are paying) or something more humanoid like Predators.

All collectibles are going up in price recently, and frankly for the price of a Prowler and a Runner each, you get one MAFEX or Mezco Alien around the same size so that's pretty good.

To me this development's nothing but a positive.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

As far as I see, the mold is 100% game accurate.

Once one of you have it in hand, could you please take some pictures of it close up so I can render comparisons?

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Jul 01, 2022, 02:06:29 AMThat Runner looks so goofy standing upright in the thumbnail.

Probably because the rod puppet was never meant to be posed that way

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Like what I just posted shows, the figure is not based on the rod puppet but the game model, I don't think we should even bother trying to compare this to the movie one as none of it's mold features are used on this, this 100% all from the game

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

That's true, but even then it's closer to the puppet, than NECA's previous effort.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Man I almost got the Dog Alien figure so many times, seems like I constantly dodged a bullet lmao

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed