Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 280,109 times)

RakaiThwei

Looking at the mutated guy, and assuming he was exposed to the Black Liquid.. and recalling Fifield and Halloway, though more of the former-- shouldn't the mutated guy be all feral? Unless of course I am mistaken about how the Black Liquid works.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

There is probably different processes that could produce different results. Look at fifield vs Holloway both markedly different.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 03, 2014, 12:36:41 AM
There is probably different processes that could produce different results. Look at fifield vs Holloway both markedly different.

Well Halloway ingested a small amount, where as Fifield ingested a larger quantity. Not to mention having fallen into the Black Liquid. But I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt on Halloway's mutation.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I don't think Halloway was going to survive his transformation anyways.  I got the impression that it seemed to be eating away at him from the inside like it did the first jockey during the intro of Prometheus. 

RakaiThwei

Looking at the chemical information.. Considering that he had ingested it, he was going through a DNA breakdown of sorts. According to this in-universe information based on the chemical, inhalation causes the mutation where as ingesting the black liquid causes disintergration. Course you can discount this or count it..

happypred

happypred

Why all the negativity. Although the art for the new AvP series isn't my favourite type of comic book art...it sure is A HECK of a lot better than Three World War's. The panels only show a tiny fraction of the whole story. Let's not assume it's going to be "meh" right off the bat. At the very least, let's wait for the first issue to come out. As for "Super Predators" being in it. That's not confirmed. They could just be borrowing a helmet design

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on May 03, 2014, 02:12:18 AM
As for "Super Predators" being in it. That's not confirmed. They could just be borrowing a helmet design.

More than just the helmet design, the armor design is definitely Berserker's. And if you look at the foot anatomy, it's very much like a Super Predator. And even if it isn't meant to be written as a Super Predator, the art in the panels would suggest that it is. It seems to me that Olivetti just borrowed designs rather than try and come up with something on his own.

The only work of Olivetti I have seen was the Batman and Superman crossover.. and he made his Predators just look like Orcs. Here, he's improved on them but they look like the Super Predators. His Aliens were... pretty consistent from what I could remember. He's a good artist, don't get me wrong though. The art is better than Three World War..

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: happypred on May 03, 2014, 02:12:18 AM
Why all the negativity. Although the art for the new AvP series isn't my favourite type of comic book art...it sure is A HECK of a lot better than Three World War's. The panels only show a tiny fraction of the whole story. Let's not assume it's going to be "meh" right off the bat. At the very least, let's wait for the first issue to come out. As for "Super Predators" being in it. That's not confirmed. They could just be borrowing a helmet design

I like the artwork for most of the series that I've seen so far.  Especially the Aliens series.

I just think that would could be divulged from the dialogue seems pretty similar to what we've already seen in the EU.  But "looks like," and what actually is the case are two different things.

RakaiThwei

I am not so sure how to feel about the mutated man. He has an interesting design but at the same time he reminds me of the Bug-Men from the Colonial Marines comic. And if he is supposed to be a mutant.. I'm trying to figure out considering how far he is in his mutation, how is his sentience retained? I'm haven't said anything negative just... trying to see how this goes.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Yup I got the bug man vibe as well.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

The mutant guy, I believe, is the "low-level" synthetic, Elden, which is the creation of the Francis fellow that Galgo is holding hostage. We also briefly met them in the preview of Prometheus #1. He is also most likely the guy who has his face melting off on Gist's AvP cover; note the nasal ridges. Sebela has said that AvP is going to be a "Frankenstein story," so I think the mutated Elden we see in the new previews is the result of extensive genetic engineering with the black goo, rather than the accidental exposure that Fifield underwent.

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing an Elden figure from NECA. Fingers crossed on that.

A few months ago I almost wrote a post joking that maybe we'd see a return of the bug-men; it looks like I was partially correct!  :laugh: In all seriousness, Elden is really reminding me of Alpha, one of the villains from the old Men in Black cartoon, who was constantly experimenting on himself with alien anatomy. That doesn't bother me, but he was my favorite villain on that show.

As far as the Super Predators, I'll hold off judgement on whether those are, in fact, Super Preds, but it wouldn't surprise me. Sebela may have been telling the truth when Rakai asked, but perhaps Super Preds were added after Fox nuked the first scripts. We'll have to see.

Overall, I liked what we saw today. Olivetti's art has a certain stylized appeal, and the mutant Elden definitely meets my criteria for an interesting, bold story.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Wait hold up... Elden is the Synthetic? But how is he.. mutating?

Aren't synthetics made up of some sort of special fibers and gelatinous material that are kept constantly twitched from electrical impulses? The black slime can cause synthetics to mutate? ...Am I missing something here about Elden?

Ultramorph

I think he may have a Terminator situation going on: artificially grown human flesh over a synthetic frame. Maybe they're even taking a nod toward Blade Runner, and establish that he's some sort of Replicant-esque clone.

On a different note, the Alien pages raise some questions. We now know that the Alien series takes place slightly before the Prometheus series. In the preview we saw of Prometheus, we meet Angela, who Deconnick has said will be the primary female protagonist of the arc. Since the Prometheus preview seems to paint the team as largely ignorant of what happened to the Prometheus or the "salvage site," I think we can safely say that Angela won't be in the Alien series. That then leaves the question of who the woman is in these pages who seems to be taking the lead. You guys know what I think, but who knows.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 03, 2014, 03:39:20 AM
I think he may have a Terminator situation going on: artificially grown human flesh over a synthetic frame. Maybe they're even taking a nod toward Blade Runner, and establish that he's some sort of Replicant-esque clone.

I don't know how to feel about that.

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 03, 2014, 03:39:20 AM
That then leaves the question of who the woman is in these pages who seems to be taking the lead. You guys know what I think, but who knows.

They did say that this comic was supposed to have connections to a certain video game in mind. That adds weight to that train of thought.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 03, 2014, 12:33:47 AM
Looking at the mutated guy, and assuming he was exposed to the Black Liquid.. and recalling Fifield and Halloway, though more of the former-- shouldn't the mutated guy be all feral? Unless of course I am mistaken about how the Black Liquid works.
It's probably worth pointing out that we really don't know how the Black Goo "works", and that's probably exactly how Ridley Scott intended and wants it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed