One more Scott prequel, AVP 3, Blomkamp film, sequel to Resurrection or Reboot?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Aug 03, 2017, 05:44:56 PM

Where would you like the Alien series to go next?

One more Ridley Scott prequel
Alien vs. Predator 3
Blomkamp's retconned pseudo-sequel with Ripley and Hicks
Sequel to Alien Resurrection with Ripley 8
Reboot the whole series and start from scratch
Soft reboot, set within existing continuity but new characters
Author
One more Scott prequel, AVP 3, Blomkamp film, sequel to Resurrection or Reboot? (Read 36,021 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Ridley Scott (Produced) final prequel, Neill Blomkamp's original idea (prior the retcon idea), and a series.

Contrasting directions at once's a good idea, but no previous location, we know the ending.

A anthology series or, season by season scenarios.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 24, 2019, 06:49:46 PM
Might as well, we're 2 movies in already. But the next one needs to wrap it up, and you know, be good.

With the "beast has almost run out" comment, Ridley will probably to make the next one focus even more on David, the alien creature might stay in the background, if it shows up. And the way he ends up doing the crash of the LV-426's derelict will lead to a similar reception as things like "Space Jockey is a suit" and "David created the alien" did.

I think I heard that the budget for the next would be lower than the previous ones due to Covenant's box office, so that might limit what Ridley originally had in my mind, but well he won't take long to make up something else. I always hope things end up being good, but I'm not very optimistic as long Ridley is involved.

dave1978

Some people really need to get over Ridley,  how many chances will you give him? 

He has had 1 really good movie in 10 years and that was the Martian,  the rest are debatable.  Could maybe even say 15 years back to Black Hawk Down so 2 films in 15 years.  Both of these were book adaptations so required little imagination on Ridleys part.  Yes i know BHD was real but the film was a straight copy of Mark Bowdens account which is by all accounts quite accurate. 

And give the opinions of Prometheus & Covenant on here neither of which are highly regarded i just cant understand why anyone would want another failure from him

P-Rock

P-Rock

Quote from: dave1978 on Mar 25, 2019, 12:50:52 PM
Some people really need to get over Ridley,  how many chances will you give him? 

He has had 1 really good movie in 10 years and that was the Martian,  the rest are debatable.  Could maybe even say 15 years back to Black Hawk Down so 2 films in 15 years.  Both of these were book adaptations so required little imagination on Ridleys part.  Yes i know BHD was real but the film was a straight copy of Mark Bowdens account which is by all accounts quite accurate. 

And give the opinions of Prometheus & Covenant on here neither of which are highly regarded i just cant understand why anyone would want another failure from him

In MY opinion the man has been giving us consistently quality movies, even when they are flawed. He is one of the few directors that makes me want to watch his movies, even when it's outside of my preferred genre. And I am sure you are aware that translating a book to movie isn't easy at all. A lot of written stuff only works for books, not movies.

Hemi

Kinda liked "The Terror" but scott prob had nothing to do with that besides producing the series.

Basically Alien in 1848 on 2 ice-breaker ships stranded in the Arctic. XD

Visuals were great and it has some edge on your seat moments.

The Kurgan

Ridley's movies may not always be perfect, but you would be hard pressed to find a director who has a similiar filmography with such range and consistent quality.

dave1978

I did say, debatable.

We will just have to come back here in 2 years and see how many of us are satisfied with the conclusion of the new trilogy, if indeed it concludes anything.  Im willing to take bets it will be less than 50%

CristianoRonaldo7

I voted for ALIEN COVENANT II Ridley Scott. But I expect the worst so: Full Reboot of ALIEN with Marvel and Star Wars. LOL....

Russ

Late to the party, but this is good news. Although I hate the idea of David creating the Xeno (and I know there are those that love this angle, it's just my preference), the cycle ought to be finished.

It's interesting though - because whatever happens from here on in will be canon (at least for a while). I think that will cast a shadow over the original trilogy like Anny and JarJar did over Star Wars. Of course, we'll all still love (to varying degrees) the trilogy, but it'll somehow leave a bitter after-taste if we know that the Alien was never what we thought it was... We can't unsee Covenant and the next one.

Unless the theories on here are right and David is RE-creating the Alien - I'd love that.

Going forward - I'm in Camp Handwave Alien3 (in the same way that Alien3 handwaves Hicks, Newt and Facehuggers... grrr.... bad Alien3). But that's only because I firmly believe that the major characters were so poorly treated in what is and should be a perfect booked to the Ripley story (and if you think it still is, more power to you).

It's been pointed out here - a closing of the prequels, a closing of the Ripley story in a fitting (for some of us) manner and then a new direction coupled a TV show would be brilliant. What KIND of TV show is debatable - many of us have thrown ideas around for this.

I really think that the AlienVerse is interesting enough to carry Xeno-less stories... Event Horizon, Outland, Starship Troopers, Blade Runner and loads of others have the aesthetics (there's a thread on here somewhere that asks the question "what other franchises could be in the alien universe (paraphrasing) but I can't find it) of the the Alien movies.

Even so, these stories would always have the spectre of Wey-Yu and the Alien hanging over them. I really think an expanded universe show could work, although the fan-arguments would be vehement on how MUCH to expand. Is this the AlienVerse of AvPVerse... I don't know the answer to that one!

Nostromo

Nostromo

Not trying to be mean or anything, just want to give my opinion on these:

One more Ridley Scott prequel: Voted Yes, it's hard to just let it end like this, besides all those Gigeresque temples and stuff are neat, just the Alien needs to look better and not a CGI'd POS. Has to have a great story though to work well. No dumbo mistakes either, like removing your helmet as soon as you land on a new planet, yes the oxygen levels could be the same but ever hear of viruses etc Ridley Scott? (2 straight movies you did this crap, what's up with that bat shit?)

Alien vs. Predator 3: Sure, why not, as long as it's not on Earth ever again, really dumb.

Blomkamp's retconned pseudo-sequel with Ripley and Hicks: After seeing this guy's 40 armed and legged Aliens, no thanks. Paul W.S. Anderson #2.

Sequel to Alien Resurrection with Ripley 8: With Ripley 8, no thanks, unless it's not on Earth.

Reboot the whole series and start from scratch: A STUPID IDEA! REBOOTS ARE STUPID!

Soft reboot, set within existing continuity but new characters: NO, NO, NO, NO, NO REBOOTS! REMAIN THE COURSE, look at what has happened to every damn reboot, reboots are dumb and lazy.

How about a movie with Amanda Ripley? Or just keep making movies with new actors, storylines and circumstances, such as in the comics.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Russ on Mar 26, 2019, 10:19:08 AM
Late to the party, but this is good news. Although I hate the idea of David creating the Xeno (and I know there are those that love this angle, it's just my preference), the cycle ought to be finished.

It's interesting though - because whatever happens from here on in will be canon (at least for a while). I think that will cast a shadow over the original trilogy like Anny and JarJar did over Star Wars. Of course, we'll all still love (to varying degrees) the trilogy, but it'll somehow leave a bitter after-taste if we know that the Alien was never what we thought it was... We can't unsee Covenant and the next one.

Unless the theories on here are right and David is RE-creating the Alien - I'd love that.

Going forward - I'm in Camp Handwave Alien3 (in the same way that Alien3 handwaves Hicks, Newt and Facehuggers... grrr.... bad Alien3). But that's only because I firmly believe that the major characters were so poorly treated in what is and should be a perfect booked to the Ripley story (and if you think it still is, more power to you).

It's been pointed out here - a closing of the prequels, a closing of the Ripley story in a fitting (for some of us) manner and then a new direction coupled a TV show would be brilliant. What KIND of TV show is debatable - many of us have thrown ideas around for this.

I really think that the AlienVerse is interesting enough to carry Xeno-less stories... Event Horizon, Outland, Starship Troopers, Blade Runner and loads of others have the aesthetics (there's a thread on here somewhere that asks the question "what other franchises could be in the alien universe (paraphrasing) but I can't find it) of the the Alien movies.

Even so, these stories would always have the spectre of Wey-Yu and the Alien hanging over them. I really think an expanded universe show could work, although the fan-arguments would be vehement on how MUCH to expand. Is this the AlienVerse of AvPVerse... I don't know the answer to that one!

Welcome to Camp Handwave Alien 3 Russ!  We're a fun bunch over here and we choose great movies over nihilism.  This isn't the nineties!

The Old One

The Old One

A apathetic universe as humanity is caught between Empathy Versus Apathy isn't just AlienĀ³ it's the nature of the real universe we exist in.

Perfect-Organism

That is the nihilistic point of view, though as it is a view, it is also your choice.  It doesn't mean that the universe is actually as you view it.  The view that the universe is guided by some sort of intelligence (may it be beyond our grasp of imagination) remains a valid point of view, in which case, our universe may not be apathetic.  It is just not knowable.

The Old One

The Old One

Guided? No, that's more terrifying than comforting. And far and away more nihilistic.

Created? Perhaps.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 26, 2019, 08:24:42 PM
Guided? No, that's more terrifying than comforting. And far and away more nihilistic.

Created? Perhaps.

Consciousness is a tough nut to crack.  Perhaps impossible.  It seems unlikely to me that something like consciousness would be created without some guidance or purpose.  There doesn't seem to be much purpose to existence other than love and perhaps amazement at existence.  Anyway, totally OT.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed