Alien - Colony War

Started by felix, Oct 09, 2021, 10:26:43 PM

Author
Alien - Colony War (Read 45,426 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 05, 2019, 10:04:09 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 05, 2019, 08:09:44 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 05, 2019, 03:02:58 AMI also think choosing a different protagonist would have given them more creative flexibility.  After all, we know from Aliens that Amanda lives through it all (unless Fox intends on retconning that).

Honestly, at this point, I can quite easily buy the whole thing about her records not actually being accurate or simply Burke lying.

Nothing would surprise me at this point.  Maybe she winds up being a Predator killer.

I guess we know which Ripley this is now...

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

"Please... kill me..."

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 23, 2022, 08:45:36 AM
I think it definitely adds something, like being able to have this opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEAqcB-oeeM

It amounts to disposable fanservice. Nobody praises the game for its opening titles, they praise the aesthetic and experience. Neither of which relies on Amanda being Amanda.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Apr 22, 2022, 10:37:18 PM
Who would have thought we'd have a brexit reference in an Alien book?

I rolled my eyes at that. Thoughts on the politics of it all aside, at least Brexit was a play on words that worked. 3WExit doesn't.

Also, I'd have thought it would have made better continuity having the colonies use the weaponry of their various national companies instead of everyone rocking Pulse Rifles. Would have been nice to see the Dukes using the WY weaponry from Fireteam.

I've got to the bit with the guard hut. The book is feeling like parody now.

I'm with Blue on this. Sure, the emotional impact means more to the fans, but it was a big part of the experience for me.

Oh, and I forgot RyanSpace at the start of the book. I had a small chuckle at that at the time, but now it's feeling like a part of the silly tone.

Quote from: StarWolf212 on Apr 22, 2022, 10:51:32 PM
the immersion breaking idea of naming the RMC assault unit after the Trumpton fire brigade. (Pugh, Pugh, McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb). How am I supposed to not think its a p*ss take?

Oh boy, this is going to make me throw the book at the wall.

skhellter

skhellter

:laugh:

always good to read them:

and then rate them really low on Goodreads

Kradan

Kradan

I'm curious, how long Corporal will be able to say: "Overall, Titan has been knocking it out of the park EXCEPT for A, B, C ..."

skhellter

skhellter

Titan doesn't seem to have any quality control.

They're just putting out "whatever".

Few entries i liked but.. lmao

They're exceptions that prove the rule.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 23, 2022, 11:24:06 AM
I'm curious, how long Corporal will be able to say: "Overall, Titan has been knocking it out of the park EXCEPT for A, B, C ..."

I don't think I'll be able to. "Generally enjoyable" lol

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: SiL on Apr 23, 2022, 10:38:00 AM

It amounts to disposable fanservice. Nobody praises the game for its opening titles, they praise the aesthetic and experience. Neither of which relies on Amanda being Amanda.

I do not agree, but you already know this because we have already discussed this earlier in this very topic, I do not consider it disposable. I consider it part of Alien Isolation's identity, it's woven into every aspect of the experience, the Isolation's not just in reference to being alone in the physical sense but also being without answers.

That's why the opening and the ending credits are what they are.

Sure it works on the level of the raw gameplay, but I think omitting the factor the story and characters play's reductive personally, and misses part of why it feels authentic.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Oh boy.

Spoiler
The Pulse Rifles fire pulse blasts and pulse beams.
[close]

:-\ :-X

I made this especially...

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Ay lmao

Stitch

Stitch

Hmm. Kinda glad I haven't picked this up. From what you're all saying, this sounds like trash.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I wonder what SM would say about all this.

VN1X

VN1X

Quote from: Stitch on Apr 23, 2022, 11:37:45 PM
Hmm. Kinda glad I haven't picked this up. From what you're all saying, this sounds like trash.
I bought it but I probably won't touch it until I've finished Sea of Sorrows and the Rage War trilogy lol. Maybe by then I'll think of it favorably compared to those titles (saying that, I am so far really enjoying SoS. Much more so than Out of the Shadows but granted, that ain't hard lol).

Current progress:

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Phalanx ought to wash the taste of The Rage War out of your mouth when you get round to it. Or just play Mass Effect for the original version of Rage War that's actually got characters worth a damn instead.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed