Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,538 times)

BlueMarsalis79

QuoteThe Pathogen's internally consistent with obvious rules, within the films themselves, mainly Alien Covenant though I believe.

It does not result in the biomechanical for a start in fact the opposite. But with other things present recognisable in the titular Alien. Simplest organisms logically appear to change the fastest like Demodex folliculorum or Demodex brevis most often visible in the eye or worms becoming Hammerpedes.

As stated it's designed to clean a planet of all non-botanical life. To achieve this it ultimately either kills you outright or creates a hybrid form, the former we see with the Engineers on Planet 4 and with the Engineers on LV-223, the other we see with what happened to Doctor Charlie Holloway and Sean Fifield and the exploding head. (Becoming unstable hybrid forms themselves with high aggression, bulbous, bloated, with further distending arms and legs, pale skin and a overall virulent infected appearance- hence Prometheus the film mentioning Ebola in the story multiple times for a real life comparison) And afterwards it spawns Neomorphs from Motes and Pods. (hybrid forms) I do not think it's as complex as appearances suggest.

"The Deacon" (In essence a Neomorph itself in all but origin) only exists because by David's own admission the Pathogen reacts to human sexual organs in an alternate way, hence he uses Doctor Elizabeth Shaw's to fashion the Alien, and bring an equally worthy artificial intelligence in his eyes into existence.

Because in terms of function it's all in essence identical:

A Pathogen infected sperm and ovum/Pod/Egg
Trilobite/Mote/Facehugger
Deacon/Neomorph/Alien

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 28, 2021, 06:52:52 PM
Aside from the shape of the horns, I really don't see much else there.

It's more than just the shape.

This character has three sets of horns. So does Mroathi. The primary ones in bronze, then the two in bone/silver colour which wrap around them, tendril-style. This character's headgear shows the same thing and in the same girth proportions.

It's not even just that. The sides of Mroathi's helmet also close around the sides of her face, curving around/beneath the eyes, in a very similar way as we see on this character, too.

It's the combination of all three of those elements which make me strongly suspect Morathi's headgear was a major inspiration.

QuoteI think it's more clearly a take on Sil or Li than it is the Morathi. The Borg Queen was always inspired by Giger too.

Sil doesn't have any horns. Lii has a couple, but they're thin and relatively tiny in comparison to this character's. Morathi has the same number and in very similar proportions. Plus, as I say, the way the helmet curves around.

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Mar 01, 2021, 01:54:34 AM
Xenomorphs being natural and having natural predators is a really dumb idea for me, it's one of the ideas that makes the alien less scary, it's meant to be the perfect organism, not prey to something bigger, which is something the comics have done more than once, Aliens Reapers was f**king atrocious.

I'm with SM on this. Making them artificial weapons doesn't make much sense, because they have no real purpose as weapons against a civilisation with World War 2 era ranged weapons. Possibly even World War 1.

While, if you wanted to use them exclusively to take on unarmed colonies, there are simply much quickly and more easily controllable ways of doing it, even if your objective is to preserve the infrastructure. Microwave weapons, toxic gas - lots of stuff.

Naturally evolved, however, opens things up more interestingly. Because then you have to face the question: What kind of an ecosystem would be extreme and violent enough to cause something like them to arise?

I imagine it would be every bit as exotic and horrifying as a world swarmed by 'Warhammer' Tyranids would best exemplify. It means something as awe-inspiring and nightmarish as the Alien is just one fraction from whatever kind of a place that would be.

The Alien being created as a weapon would just make them obsolete.

I do agree, however, that if the Alien is ever depicted going up against other predators, then they need to be equally as horrifying and vicious. The ones in that particular comic were very underwhelming in design.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 02, 2021, 08:50:24 PM
I'm with SM on this. Making them artificial weapons doesn't make much sense, because they have no real purpose as weapons against a civilisation with World War 2 era ranged weapons. Possibly even World War 1.

Looking at it that way, I'd say that not even the Space Jockeys would want the Alien as a weapon, unless they need to crush America during the Civil War, a Feudal Kingdom or Ancient Civilization. Although it would be for mere sadism coming from a race capable of traveling through space. :laugh:

Naturally evolved, however, opens things up more interestingly. Because then you have to face the question: What kind of an ecosystem would be extreme and violent enough to cause something like them to arise?

I imagine it would be every bit as exotic and horrifying as a world swarmed by 'Warhammer' Tyranids would best exemplify. It means something as awe-inspiring and nightmarish as the Alien is just one fraction from whatever kind of a place that would be.

It's got a wonderful defense mechanism. You don't dare kill it ~ Parker in Alien

Except there must be indeed something that would dare to kill them in their home world, and it's fascinating and terrifying to think about it:

What kind of environment could be the cause of mutating the gene in the Alien to turn it into a killing machine with acidic blood?

Just because the comics failed in doing justice doesn't mean the idea is bad. It's a good concept badly executed.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 09, 2016, 06:29:40 PM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 09, 2016, 11:21:34 AMWe've never seen Aliens in a native habitat, only in locations they've been introduced to.

Indeed.  And because HuDaFuk and I love it when I quote myself...

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 05, 2015, 08:29:26 PMI'm torn.  I like to imagine the ecosystem of the aliens' homeworld as being one in which they live in symbiosis with another native species.  Perhaps some docile herbivore that has an orifice in its torso from which the aliens can emerge without killing it.

And it's only when they're removed from their native habitat that the aliens become dangerous and have no choice but to breed within hosts that are killed in the process.

judge death

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 02, 2021, 09:21:55 PM

Looking at it that way, I'd say that not even the Space Jockeys would want the Alien as a weapon, unless they need to crush America during the Civil War, a Feudal Kingdom or Ancient Civilization. Although it would be for mere sadism coming from a race capable of traveling through space. :laugh:

It's got a wonderful defense mechanism. You don't dare kill it ~ Parker in Alien

Except there must be indeed something that would dare to kill them in their home world, and it's fascinating and terrifying to think about it:

What kind of environment could be the cause of mutating the gene in the Alien to turn it into a killing machine with acidic blood?

Just because the comics failed in doing justice doesn't mean the idea is bad. It's a good concept badly executed.

I actually like dark horse take on it, and this is pretty much confirmed in predator lore and games where we see ina vp 2010: that there is a xenomorph homeworld, and the predators say in the comics and lore they have been to it and from it spread them to their worlds and hunting planets, so its well established in my mind.

Dark horse showed a world where they evolved naturally and all other creatures were acid blooded too and could eat the xenomorphs, although the xenos was the highest ranked predator, they could be rivaled by the ecosystem and be keept in check. Then the space jockeys showed up and captured them and made them to their biological weapons and one of many weapons they unleash on their enemies, but as we saw in local troubles picture: other species came and took xenos from those planets the space jockeys and predators spread them to.

I actually like that they came from a homeplanet and then been spread to other systems but far away from our galaxy.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I can imagine any number of natural enemies for the aliens.

Maybe there's a particularly nasty species of insect that's just too small for the facehuggers to impregnate, and they swarm the Aliens with sheer numbers. Maybe there's a particularly nasty species of mammalian that's just too big for the facehuggers to impregnate and they think of the Aliens as little more than crunchy, spicy snacks.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 28, 2021, 06:52:52 PM
Aside from the shape of the horns, I really don't see much else there.

It's more than just the shape.

This character has three sets of horns. So does Mroathi. The primary ones in bronze, then the two in bone/silver colour which wrap around them, tendril-style. This character's headgear shows the same thing and in the same girth proportions.

It's not even just that. The sides of Mroathi's helmet also close around the sides of her face, curving around/beneath the eyes, in a very similar way as we see on this character, too.

It's the combination of all three of those elements which make me strongly suspect Morathi's headgear was a major inspiration.

QuoteI think it's more clearly a take on Sil or Li than it is the Morathi. The Borg Queen was always inspired by Giger too.

Sil doesn't have any horns. Lii has a couple, but they're thin and relatively tiny in comparison to this character's. Morathi has the same number and in very similar proportions. Plus, as I say, the way the helmet curves around.

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Mar 01, 2021, 01:54:34 AM
Xenomorphs being natural and having natural predators is a really dumb idea for me, it's one of the ideas that makes the alien less scary, it's meant to be the perfect organism, not prey to something bigger, which is something the comics have done more than once, Aliens Reapers was f**king atrocious.

While, if you wanted to use them exclusively to take on unarmed colonies, there are simply much quickly and more easily controllable ways of doing it, even if your objective is to preserve the infrastructure. Microwave weapons, toxic gas - lots of stuff.

The Alien being created as a weapon would just make them obsolete.

I do agree, however, that if the Alien is ever depicted going up against other predators, then they need to be equally as horrifying and vicious. The ones in that particular comic were very underwhelming in design.

Re: Morathi still being discussed, I gotta post the hilarious older figure:

And the quite cool new "ascended shape-shifting demi-god" version:

Re: Them being weapons, being redundant:

Depends if your intention is military or just to literally rape humanity.

Local Trouble

Did you paint those?

[cancerblack]

No, those are promotional photos from GW.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I like the concept of alien symbiosis, kind of like in Avatar but scary instead of cute.

I thing the Scorn video game has that bio-horror atmosphere.

Quote from: judge death on Mar 02, 2021, 09:59:03 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 02, 2021, 09:21:55 PM

I actually like dark horse take on it, and this is pretty much confirmed in predator lore and games where we see ina vp 2010: that there is a xenomorph homeworld, and the predators say in the comics and lore they have been to it and from it spread them to their worlds and hunting planets, so its well established in my mind.

Dark horse showed a world where they evolved naturally and all other creatures were acid blooded too and could eat the xenomorphs, although the xenos was the highest ranked predator, they could be rivaled by the ecosystem and be keept in check. Then the space jockeys showed up and captured them and made them to their biological weapons and one of many weapons they unleash on their enemies, but as we saw in local troubles picture: other species came and took xenos from those planets the space jockeys and predators spread them to.

I actually like that they came from a homeplanet and then been spread to other systems but far away from our galaxy.

True that, but I think there's a lack of Giger aesthetics. I mean, it need to be strange in shapes and world mechanics.

Actually before the hype year (2012), I thought that the Space Jockeys, biomechanical in appearance, were from the same world as the Aliens. They were the advanced species as we humans are here on Earth.

And if you look at both the sculpture in the film and the concept art, there really seems to be a symbiosis between the ship and the pilot. As if their technology was based on symbiosis and parasitism.

However, I must admit the Space Jockeys making biological weapons of all kinds (with the Alien being just one of many) is not that different from the Alien as the tip of the iceberg of his homeworld.

BlueMarsalis79

Worth posting considering the discussion here;

https://youtu.be/SUelbSa-OkA
https://youtu.be/ThDYazipjSI

EJA

EJA

But if the Aliens evolved naturally, then why does the Space Jockey tech resemble them so much?

And regarding the horned woman, could she be something similar to the hybrid the Queen gave birth to in A:R?

HuDaFuK

I always liked the idea that the Alien was bio-engineered.

I just hated that Scott a) felt the need to explain it, and b) made that explanation so incredibly dull.

SM

SM

What would have been less dull?

HuDaFuK

Well, not explaining it for a start. Its origins being mysterious was way more interesting.

But having it created by a mad human robot scientist was not only disappointing, it made it... not particularly alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed