Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,468 times)

Voodoo Magic

Purrhaps!

Waits for applause...

Local Trouble

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 20, 2020, 06:14:29 PM
- Only Alien and Aliens matter for his story, as the writer isn't confident that any of the other movies will matter for the "canon" once the dust settles over at Disney.

;D

SM

SM

I watched some of the interview.  I didn't get an overt 'new continuity' vibe, just a 'we're not going to link up with the Dark Horse continuity'.  Which generally means they'll tread all over it at some point and it'll be a new continuity.  The other thing I got is that the knowledge level was fairly superficial.  Which won't really be too much of an issue if he can tell a good story.

Kimarhi

If they are only talking about the DH continuity then that wouldn't matter anyways.  Shit got wrecked every year. 

Nightmare Asylum

It does bum me out that DH never once got to play around with prequel concepts outside of an AVP crossover event before they lost the license.

SM

SM

It was in too much flux to allow them to play around.

Perfect-Organism

I'd be ok with retconning Covenant but keeping Prometheus.  Despite its shortcomings, I really do love that film.  The sheer grandeur of the whole thing is amazing.

Kimarhi

I'm the opposite.  I'd rather keep Covenant.

I personally can't stand Prometheus, its only saving grace was David.

And Noomi. 

Kradan

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 21, 2020, 04:15:27 AM
I'm the opposite.  I'd rather keep Covenant

Yep, same

Prez

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 21, 2020, 02:57:23 AM
I'd be ok with retconning Covenant but keeping Prometheus.  Despite its shortcomings, I really do love that film.  The sheer grandeur of the whole thing is amazing.

I'm with you. The grandiose ideas and visuals were great... flawed ... but ambitious nonetheless ... which is why it took me a while to warm up to covenant as it felt too small.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 21, 2020, 02:57:23 AM
Prometheus, despite having the potential for a better film (as many fan edits show), is still far superior to Covenant in my opinion.

If it's 'near future', though, it might just retcon both.

EDIT:
Clearly I thought this was the thread about the new TV series. Point still stands, however. It might retcon both.

Kimarhi

Ugh.

If Scott wanted to make scifi epic alien exploration movie and not include the alien, he should've just started up another IP.

I don't know why so many people want him in the Alien franchise anymore when it is clear he's bored with it. 

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 22, 2020, 03:39:08 AMIf Scott wanted to make scifi epic alien exploration movie and not include the alien, he should've just started up another IP.

Tbf, he sort of tried that with Prometheus... before bottling it and having something pointlessly burst out of something else right at the end.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 22, 2020, 03:39:08 AM
I don't know why so many people want him in the Alien franchise anymore when it is clear he's bored with it. 

Indeed. And that boredom shows (to me) in the last act of Covenant.

However, I wouldn't mind a episodic spinoff, either in comics or television. Say Guy Pierce as a young Weyland in pre-Goldmember makeup. More in line with the TED 2023 speech, etc. I would enjoy that. Or the chronicles of a synthetic that is not about creating the Xenomorph. Stop making the universe so darn small Ridley!

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 20, 2020, 08:29:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F4iIlhA39o

Not watched yet, but another interview.
He describes how he doesn't think Alien 3 will be canon forever and how this book relies heavily on the first two movies.

The interviewer asks if we'll see any returning characters from those movies. He answers yes.

So unless the returning characters are the salvage crew, medical staff, boardroom execs, or Jonesy, it sounds like he's already going against Alien 3.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed