Predator Hunting Grounds (2020) by Illfonic - PS4 and PC

Started by molasar, May 09, 2019, 10:13:55 PM

Author
Predator Hunting Grounds (2020) by Illfonic - PS4 and PC (Read 46,925 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: draken161 on May 16, 2019, 01:42:44 PM
I'm reluctant to be excited about this game. I played the hell out of F13 The Game and the devs abandoned it conveniently due to a licensing issue, of which both parties had said the developers were fine to continue on with the Jason X material in particular. The developers decided to respond with radio silence with a patch every 6 months if that with no new material to be developed or released.

The F13 game was originally developed by IllFonic and Gun Media. Once they were sued, all DLC stopped and the game was pulled off the market. If you purchased it before then, you got to keep the game. But all DLC stopped. Then, to make matters worse, they lost the lawsuit. 

Once Black Tower Studios took the game over it was already too late.

draken161

That's the most concise explanation I've read as to the fate of this game. Thankyou. That gives me a little more hope as to the fate of this game. I shall watch it with greater interest that's for sure.

Voodoo Magic

Cool! I'm happy to be a help!  :)

Hudson

Quote from: draken161 on May 16, 2019, 01:42:44 PM
I'm reluctant to be excited about this game. I played the hell out of F13 The Game and the devs abandoned it conveniently due to a licensing issue, of which both parties had said the developers were fine to continue on with the Jason X material in particular. The developers decided to respond with radio silence with a patch every 6 months if that with no new material to be developed or released.

The game remains absurdly unbalanced with glitches that have remained since launch. That radio silence has now been ended with a balance patch, then some social media presence but largely the game remains unfixed. I have little hope for this Predator game if that's that track record we have to contend with.

I'm going to go with Evolve as a similar comparison in concept, because it's about four hunters and a monster, and it's multiplayer.

Friday the 13th The Game is entertaining, but mostly just because it's goofy as hell. Navigating the menus is a more immersive Jason experience than actually playing the game, but there's some nice fan service here and there. Just gets repetitive though. Evolve felt like a new thing any time I played it.

JokersWarPig

The downside to Evolve (on the PC anyways) was that after the initial release people started kicking hunter players they didn't know right after joining a game. Hopefully that isn't something that'll happen in this.

Corporal Hicks

Hudson

I'm *this much* pumped! Now...to get a PS4.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Very exciting news! Even if it is not exactly the Predator game I've been wanting, it's still a Predator game and hopefully it will be successful enough that it will lead to other Predator game installments. Maybe one that allows you to design your own Predator and hunt on different worlds.

Grimtaur

I'm really hoping that this comes to PC. Has a lot of potential

molasar

PS5: Sony Confirms Cross-generation Play

"Kodera-san added that backward compatibility is positive not simply because you can play old games on the next-gen console, but also because the community can enjoy the games together via cross-generation gameplay."

https://twinfinite.net/2019/05/ps5-backward-compatibility-sony/

Haedo

I think a game based on clan conflict and open-roam galactic hunting would be much better. But if this suceeds maybe we get that in the future?

JokersWarPig

I'm pretty sure that the success of this game will probably affect any future Predator/Alien/AVP games. It seems to have the right formula though so we have that going for us at least

Kailem

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 11, 2019, 11:54:25 PM
Considering IllFonic's last game gave players the ability to unlock different Jasons from different Friday the 13th movies, even the futuristic Jason X, I think it's reasonable to assume players will be able to unlock various Predators.

Quote from: Komenja on May 11, 2019, 09:17:39 PM
2, True voice chat and Proximity Chat: In Halo 2 and 3, only players on your team could hear your voice at all times while in-game (except for pre-game lobbies, where everyone can communicate freely). However, there was a feature called Proximity Chat that let you and enemy players hear each other if you were close enough. If Hunting Grounds had this feature, perhaps Vocal Mimicry could allow the Predator player to record the actual dialogue being spoken between team mates that he can overhear while stalking them nearby, and throw it back at them (with the distortion effect applied) as a taunt mechanic? The obvious downside is, given the usual vulgarity and immaturity of online gaming, the Predator player could inadvertently mimic some really questionable or offensive stuff.

Wow! Very creative!

It's not likely to be implemented for reasons already stated but that would truly be something special. Nice idea!

Friday the 13th had proximity voice chat that led to some very fun situations, so I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up here too, though yeah obviously without actually being able to record it.

That mud camouflage idea is cool, it could definitely help give the humans an edge, though you should probably only be able do it once at one spot. Otherwise it wouldn't take long for the thermal vision to be rendered useless if every match turned into a race to the mud spots and the entire human team could just camo themselves.

I'd also like it if you could string bodies up, even if only at certain predetermined spots like in Concrete Jungle, which would give you bonus "trophy" XP as the Predator but leave you vulnerable while you were doing it. It'd give you a reason to do it, but also come with a downside that the human players could exploit if they caught you doing it, or saw one of their fellow players strung up and realised that was something you were trying to do.

And yeah as has already been mentioned, the Predator as a character has a lot more variety in terms of what he can do than Jason does, so I wonder whether they're going to go with a pre-set list of stats/attributes like with Friday the 13th or have more of a customisable loadout for him? You could do cool things with either I think, like have a pre-set Predator that focuses on melee with no ranged weapons, one that's all about range but not got a lot up-close, one that perhaps has the medkit so he can heal/regain health but with the trade-off of not having as many weapons as other Preds etc.

Likewise if they went with a player-custimisable loadout they could possibly go with a points or slots-based system, where each item you could equip would take up a certain amount of space in your loadout, so that you could have one or two powerful items at the cost of others. You could either go with one big, powerful weapon or gadget and not a lot else, or try to balance things out with multiple items that cost less in points or slot space.

Either way Illfonic definitely did good with the multiple Jasons fan service in Friday the 13th, so it's a pretty good bet that whatever system they're going with we'll be getting multiple different Predators to play as.

Kailem

One thing I just noticed that I'm not sure has been mentioned was that the blurb on the game's PS4 page says "Predator: Hunting Grounds is an immersive asymmetrical shooter set in remote areas around the world...."

Here's hoping that means it'll include more settings than just a jungle at launch.

Voodoo Magic

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed