The Future of Alien/AvP Video Games

Started by PraetorianX101, Dec 30, 2020, 10:57:55 PM

Author
The Future of Alien/AvP Video Games (Read 4,554 times)

Still Collating...

The new OpenCAGE mod is perfect for someone wanting to create their perfect Alien Isolation experience. You can import other mods like the great Unpredictable Alien mod, even increase the free roaming parameters and tweak it to suit your liking. I literally wanted that but with an Alien that has super senses. I wanted rare but unpredictable encounters, with the Alien roaming far and wide and being able to see and hear me realistically like an apex predator would. I wanted it to be very very hard, but not for the alien to keep going in circles close to me for 10 minutes.

The AI has great potential, just needs some parameters to be tweaked and thanks to the new mod, I can create the perfect Alien horror experience for me.   

BlueMarsalis79

https://youtu.be/Nt1XmiDwxhY
https://youtu.be/_ZbV--8J4uA
https://youtu.be/9bbhJi0NBkk
https://youtu.be/6VBCXvfNlCM
https://youtu.be/P7d5lF6U0eQ
https://youtu.be/wNIfQzAOKT4

It is absolutely revolutionary.
Even apart from modifications to enhance the experience based upon your preferences.
That the majority of the time just amounts to tweaking what already exists on higher difficulties.

lost dragon

Creative Asdembly's Jude Bond promised Xenomorph A. I behavior routines, so immensely complicated, the creature was almost sentiment.

The Creature had learnt the behavior of playtester and learnt to combat their defensive measures..

A. I so unpredictable, even the coders weren't sure why the Big Chap acted as it did..

What did i encounter?

A creature whom, if i circled around a table, wouldn't have it's senses trigged..

A creature which happily ignored the NPC shooting it, instead going straight for an unarmed me, cowering under a trolley...

A creature that practically barged me out the way to investigate the noise maker I had thrown..

A creature that made no attempt to vary the time it took to return after being scared off by the flame thrower..

So much for learning, it just turned into a count to.. Flame!!, progress a bit, Flame!!! routine.

A creature with pre-determined patrol routines..

A creature that let me exploit it's animation sequence of dropping from a vent, so i could run past it..

Now if they had allowed it to use the environment more and say curl up and wait hidden in the environment to catch me completely off guard, then I would believe it was an evolution in A. I.

The much hyped Cat and Mouse Stealth went to pot early on, room entertainment changing after a cutscene..

Any feelings of fear, trepidation etc were all too soon replaced by frustration.

Big Chap far too noisy..

Sorry, unpopular opinion i know, but whilst a solid Alien experience, it was by no means the second coming the press made it out to be.

BlueMarsalis79

I believe you're just fundamentally incorrect and the videos explain exactly why.

lost dragon

lost dragon

Your perfectly entitled to your views.

I'm merely stating my personal experiences with 2 complete play throughs of 2 versions of the game on 2 Sony systems, after reading Previews of the game from various Games Press.

Garry Napper, lead Designer, was a second Creative Assembly source quoted/interviewed by them who stated the Xenomorph would actively observe the actions of the player and learn and adapt it's behavior.

That wasn't what i personally encountered on any playthrough as detailed in my earlier post.

I've spent over £90 on the game and invested countless hours with it.

It doesn't matter what has been written in the games press or talked about on video, my experience simply differed from what the press had me expecting.

This nigh-on sentient A. I for the Xenomorph, wasnt as described.

Creative Assembly did however deliver the NPC Human A. I they promised, these weren't faceless individuals that blindly attacked, they appeared petrified, warned you off, they gave a great impression of simply trying to survive.

That added a lot to the games atmosphere.

I'm not getting into an internet, you are wrong  scenario here.

I've named my sources, detailed the instances and areas where the game fell flat from what was promised.

The ultimate Alien experience has yet to be created.

Isolation made steps in the right direction.

The first video actually just clarified at times what I suspected.. the A. I routines are built around existing A. I routines such as Behavior Trees in Halo and they unlock more branches, the longer the player spends in the game, thus as the commentator explains, giving the IMPRESSION the Xenomorph is learning from what the player is doing.

If all it's actually doing is unlocking predetermined behavior routines, that's not the sentient, unpredictable, we had to dig into the code to understand what it was doing and why, to our playtesters A. I... the team talk of in the games Previews.

The game director at times sends the Xenomorph to specific locations, as it tells the Xenomorph where the player is.

The video also talks of the A. I not being scripted, yet it is at key events, the game couldn't progress plot wise, if it wasn't.

Cutscenes etc trigger key events, meaning the Xenomorph has to be in key areas at crucial times.

Sure the set piece designers can try and disguise the fact it's waiting for the player by having numerous environmental factors taking place, klaxons blaring, lights flashing, steam and smoke obscuring vision, but fact is the Alien will wait for the player at key points.

It won't venture out or roam on it's own, it's scripted to stay within predetermined parameters and the video, by quoting Creative Assembly, explains why.

There would be no fear, no tension if the player didn't suspect it was lying in wait, observing the player.

Still Collating...

I agree that the vanilla Alien in the game has quite a few flaws. The weird sense limitations (hiding around a table, or under one when the creature should be able to see you) and the tight leash that makes the Alien follow around the player a bit too closely were the biggest flaws for me. But they are just simple parameters that can be edited not too difficultly. The vanilla Alien needs more time and area to roam around and yes the Alien is too loud. But the basic principle, the possibilities of the AI are what's so cool to me.

I understand you didn't really get what you expected and that the AI isn't sentient like. Maybe they did promise a bit too much regarding the AI, I can agree there. Though personally, I feel in this game that the Alien has character and is actively fighting me, hunting me. The illusion worked for me. To me this Alien feels more alive than any other in the recent games. A:CM set the bar low for me in terms of AI (even though I really enjoyed the hell out of that broken game), so the AI in Isolation was quite a breath of fresh air.

I wish the future games would develop the AI even more to really give us that intelligent and terrifying hunter. I like my Aliens smart, fast and to be able to find me if I make mistakes. I hope these points aren't abandoned in future games.

Still, very excited and hopeful about Aliens: Fireteam! I hope their hardcore modes and tweaks are up to the task.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed