New AVP theory

Started by Tichinde, Aug 03, 2020, 04:13:32 AM

Author
New AVP theory (Read 21,342 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote"I'm not entirely sure anyone is actually debating that. People are debating what they personally believe, and when it's not in line with "the official canon" then that upsets some people."

I think the debate is what the official canon actually is. I also think you're misreading peoples motives. When I say official canon I mean exactly that. The official stance the creators/studio take on the story.

As I think everyone acknowledges you can have your own head canon. In mine AvPR and The Predator don't exist and the Aliens are still Ancient. That doesn't mean I act like my own headcanon is an accurate representation of the series as it stands.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 13, 2020, 08:53:45 PM
That doesn't mean I act like my own headcanon is an accurate representation of the series as it stands.
That's my point, though - "an accurate representation" and leaning on "official canon" is, in my opinion, nonsense. At best it should be regarded as a footnote to the much more interesting and useful discussion of what you believe and why. If people wanted "the official canon", there's a wiki for that.

Identifying "the official canon" should have taken like 3 posts, but only now, on page 26, are people clarifying that that's what they wanted? :P
I got involved way back on page two because someone said "the movie shows _____ and that's the way it is" and I disagreed (no really, go check) and that's been my argument ever since. Like I said, what the movies show and what "the official canon" says isn't always the same thing.

SiL

SiL

"Official canon" gives everyone the same point of reference to work from when trying to discuss the overall story. It's not at all pointless to lean on it.

Yes it can and does change - so can head canon.

QuoteAt best it should be regarded as a footnote to the much more interesting and useful discussion of what you believe and why.
Maybe some people find conversations about the actual canon entertaining and useful though?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Then maybe we're at cross purposes in what we're looking for in the discussion and why. Identifying the official line or something can be interesting; I especially like discussions about "what the movie shows" - it's what I was responding to in the first place early in the thread. I'm arguing that the official line doesn't matter; at best my train of thought once "the official line" is established is "okay, and?"

I can totally understand what you're saying and can see why that might be a useful reference for starting a discussion, but i get bothered when people start acting like it's the only "correct" answer or that it's "more real", or taking a defeatist attitude like "the official line is _______, I don't like it but that's the way it is", or that there's no place for "head canon" in discussions even if I think some people's head canon is nonsense (sorry, tichinde).

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 13, 2020, 10:25:56 PM
Then maybe we're at cross purposes in what we're looking for in the discussion and why.

I'm guessing this is why you've been embroiled in this same discussion in so many other threads.

Could be worse though, not as bad as an old fashioned caste/cowl war.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Like I said, it's less of what people are saying and more of how they're saying it. :P

Edit— caste all the way, baby

yhe1

yhe1

I think the issue is this. If an AVP or Predator story references an Alien story and adds extra info to it, Is the extra info added canon or not?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Officially? No.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 13, 2020, 10:40:31 PM
Like I said, it's less of what people are saying and more of how they're saying it. :P

No castes.  No praetorians.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 14, 2020, 03:30:59 AM

Come at me bro

SM

SM

No f**king ice CREEEAM.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 14, 2020, 05:16:31 AM

Come at me bro

It's time to put away childish things and submit to the authority of canon orthodoxy.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I AM CANON

Tichinde

Tichinde

Speaking of which preatorians get f**ked. This is off topic but I still find it funny, so the purpose of the praetorian is to protect the queen and if she dies they carry on her role and evolve right? Well, the warrior caste also apparently guards the queen making them redundant, but it gets better. According to AVP 2010, if you are an Alien Drone like 6 (an adapted queen) you literally just bypass over the others if the queen dies. So like imagine as a Xeno, defending your nest, fighting against your hive, then your queen dies. All of a sudden this tiny little drone trots up to you and becomes your boss  :D

Idk, just wanted to share how f**ked over the praetorians get

Samhain13

Samhain13

6 was suppose to be Praetorian in the last levels from what I heard, but like many thing it was cut since they rushed so much to develop the game. 6 molted into a Praetorian before becoming a Queen, its one during the molting at the end sequence. It was isolated from the rest of the hive, all the others were dead, it had to be 6.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed