i09 Describes Prometheus Footage

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 21, 2011, 11:53:36 PM

Author
i09 Describes Prometheus Footage (Read 23,860 times)

Corporal Hicks

i09 has just posted up an incredibly detailed and juicy description of the Prometheus footage shown at SDCC:

“And then the actual footage from the film starts, and its a huge flood of creeptastic imagery that recalls Alien but also a bit of 2001: A Space Odyssey. There are guys in pressure suits exploring an ancient chamber with weird hieroglyphs, and a guy in a spacesuit walking through a sliding door into a clean white chamber. And a guy (who might be Michael Fassbender) pulling a weird jelly-looking thing out of a canister. And as Ridley Scott’s voiceover notes that things that may look small in the film will turn out to be important, there is a shot of a drop of blood on a finger. There is Charlize Theron on a table with bandages wrapped around her breasts, as though she’s waking from hypersleep.”

Be sure to make sure you read the entire thing. This is easily the most exciting report I’ve seen so far. Thanks to Ikarop for the news.

harlock

harlock

Jelly facehuggers anyone?  ;D

Also the whole thing discussed a while back of the alien civilisation laying eggs after standard procreation and needing a host to take in the eggs "spore" may be closer to the truth than we thought  :)

A basic amorphous creature that comes from the egg and allows the chestburster to take elements from its host, slowly making it like the xeno we all know?

Darkbladepred2.0

That all sounds... pretty interesting actually. My interest in this film actually exists again. Yay!

This however, made me laugh:
QuoteAnd then we see Charlize Theron doing pushups naked.

chupacabras acheronsis

alien + 2001 = all of my money

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jul 22, 2011, 12:10:51 AM

Took the words right outta my goddamn mouth.

Quote"Of course, what i want to do is scare the living shit out of you."

f**k. Yes.

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jul 22, 2011, 01:20:10 AM
Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jul 22, 2011, 12:10:51 AM

Took the words right outta my goddamn mouth.

well it's a big mouth...

wonder what the whole bandage wrapping stuff is is about, and if it' coming off...

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Another description from /film:
QuoteI realize that what everyone wants to know is how the footage looked. In short, I loved it. Alien is real touchstone film for me, and while Ridley Scott says that the DNA of Alien is in Prometheus and everything else will be different, that's not what the footage says. The footage very clearly comes both from the man who made Alien and takes place very much in the same world and is connected to that tale. What exactly was shown? How about Michael Fassbender crying, Charlize Theron seemingly doing naked pushups (something Damon Lindelof referenced on stage a few times), a shot of a giant head, some very beautiful images of space-suited characters in various states of distress, and a lot more. Read more after the break.

What we saw wasn't a trailer, but more like a behind the scenes featurette. Ridley Scott is seen on the massive 007 stage at Pinewood studios, with some of the very Alien-like production design in the background. (Think of the look of the interior of the derelict spaceship in which the characters in Alien first find the xenomoprh eggs and you'll get the idea.)

There is quite a lot in the footage shown that looked very specifically Alien: a giant open space that looks like it is missing only a huge fossilized Space Jockey; other massive spaces with curved striated walls and floors covered with ordered rows of what look very much like xenomorph eggs. The tone of Alien was there, too — the environments we see aren't quite as blue-collar and run down, but the feeling of dread and atmosphere is there in spades. Oh, and when the title screen came up at the end, letters in Prometheus formed in much the same way the title for Alien forms in that film.

The footage we see of Michael Fassbender seems to support the rumor that he plays a Bishop-like android. He's got a slightly stylized look that isn't quite human. (Ridley Scott said there might be two androids in the film.) Other elements of the design depart slightly from the core Alien template, but don't feel out of place. Keeping with the sense that this isn't taking place on the same sort of working-class ship seen in that film, the space suits are a little nicer and more pretty, the environments are more clean and gleaming. Some of the shots bear a rather stylized look that is somewhere between the clean, symmetrical aesthetic of Stanley Kubrick's 2001 and a slightly different 'clean space' vision that is a little bit Blade Runner and a little bit Mass Effect.

It was all very tantalizing and very much made me want to see more. With luck this reel will end up online at some point because after just the one viewing, which contained a lot of quick shots that were difficult to parse (including the shot that showed up as a still earlier today), I think I've missed a lot of detail. But the bottom line is: I'm very ready for more, rather than turned off by this Ridley Scott return to sci-fi.

chupacabras acheronsis

Spoiler
[close]

MrSpaceJockey

QuoteAnd then we see Charlize Theron doing pushups naked.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

You know what, I'm starting to think this footage will be better than the teaser trailer.  Because it's a featurette that's paced like one, so we get the best of both worlds. 

MrSpaceJockey

Yeah, no super sped up footage or clips that tell us nothing, these reports sound good, and I'm hoping for the best here.

ThisBethesdaSea

Its a great feeling to be this excited about a film again. I was 3 when ALIEN was released, 12, when ALIENS came out, 16 for Alien3 and 23 for the shitfest that was Resurrection...the only film I saw in theaters. To be in a place where I'm seeing a would be master return to his roots....I couldn't ask for anything better.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Another miniscule tidbit:
QuoteClip starts...but it's just a Ridley Scott sizzle reel from previous movies? Even ROBIN HOOD? Not for long, thankfully. We see Ridley on a new set, then images of a spaceship control room full of lit panels. A giant room that looks like the Giger-designed spaceship in the first ALIEN where they find the eggs, though it's filled with things that look more like Egyptian coptic jars – though they may still be eggs. It does seem like something bio-mechanical is inside.

We see Michael Fassbender examining them. Green-glass sleep pods. Bubble-helmets – the aesthetic is an odd mix of the original ALIEN H. R. Giger designs and pulp comic-book Buck Rogers-type stuff. Charlize Theron is doing push-ups naked. There's a large, ringed planet.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/2011-comic-con-prometheus-unwound/

Lonely Universe

QuoteEgyptian coptic jars

Wasn't there something in the original Alien script about jars or urns? Or maybe in one of the old Giger paintings? That they contained facehuggers or something?

Pn2501

Pn2501

QuoteThe first image from 'Prometheus.'

Until today, little was known about Ridley Scott's next film Prometheus, and even the main detail was one that Scott has intentionally muddled: It's a prequel to Alien ... but not really. Today at Comic-Con, though, Scott, screenwriter Damon Lindelof, and stars Charlize Theron and Noomi Rapace lifted the lid on Scott's sci-fi thriller and showed off the first footage ever.

Less a teaser trailer than a behind-the-scenes look with stray shots from the movie, the Prometheus clip showed actors like Theron, Michael Fassbender, and Idris Elba navigating huge alien caves in their retro-cool spacesuits topped off with giant bubble heads. With little plot to be sussed out from the footage -- the crew finds some elongated vase-eggs that look less like the ones from Alien and more like something that just came off a potter's wheel -- the look of the film was what impressed us most. Black and white with pops of clean, bold color, Scott breaks up the white of Fassbender's spacesuit by placing an orange basketball in his hands, and cuts through the dark interior of the spaceship with the fluorescence of a yellow-visored helmet or a blue flashlight beam.

And though word on the street is that Fassbender plays an android in Prometheus, the footage showed him crying one single, clear tear, not the milky-white substance you'd normally find secreted by the androids of the Alien world. When pressed by Lindelof to reveal whether there was indeed a robot in the movie, Scott (who appeared via satellite as he finishes up the movie in Iceland) said coyly, "There may be two."

And those departures from the Alien canon are what most intrigued Scott. "There is the DNA of the original Alien. That's as far as it goes," the director said. "Everything else is completely different." Well, not everything. Scott says that there's a big question from the first two Alien films that finally gets answered in this one, teasing, "In the last few minutes of the movie, you'll understand what I'm talking about."

"I certainly hope so," added Lindelof.

"So do I. So does Fox," Scott said.

And there's another tradition kept: As in the first Alien, the female empowerment is leavened by a little interstellar cheesecake. Referring to a brief bit from the clip where Theron's character, Meredith Vickers, is glimpsed doing push-ups while wearing virtually nothing, Lindelof joked, "I just want to say that I find it disgusting and exploitative, and it's pandering to this crowd."

Theron leaned in with relish: "I know how to sell a movie."

from vulture.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/07/prometheus_comic_con.html

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed