Alien - Colony War

Started by felix, Oct 09, 2021, 10:26:43 PM

Author
Alien - Colony War (Read 44,179 times)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

You're not the David we are looking for, move along.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Stitch on May 27, 2022, 12:26:13 AMIt divided the country in a way not really ever seen before, causing massive cultural divide. It was also sold on the idea that the country would be massively better off if we were out of the EU, and so far that seems to have been a bunch of lies.

Quote from: SiL on May 27, 2022, 02:42:23 AMMany people voted for it based on a bunch of lies that it would improve quality of life in Britain and help Britain return to its former glory.

One of the popular lies was that the money that was sent to the EU would be put into healthcare.

It was not.

I see, thank you for your answers, gentlemen

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Nukiemorph on May 27, 2022, 05:24:50 PMhttps://twitter.com/davidmbarnett/status/1530147611067486210

https://twitter.com/davidmbarnett/status/1529716948715593728
https://twitter.com/davidmbarnett/status/1529719728998125568

I saw those, but you know what? If an author wants to defend their own work. Fine. I... Don't really see Colony War at all defensible when it's really easy to pick apart. I write a lot and I am my own worst critic. I think we all are. But so far I haven't really seen people threaten or attack others for liking the book. I wouldn't be surprised if there were, but there are more debates, from I've seen. I guess the point is, don't attack others for giving their opinion.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xiggz456 on May 27, 2022, 08:23:55 PMThat was nice of Alex White to defend Barnett. Alex really is a stand up human.

They really are. That is a lesson that folk do need to learn - it's why I don't tag the authors when I post reviews that aren't favourable. Then it's also a question of ignoring criticism, and how do you improve?

But fans definitely shouldn't be dogpiling for opinions. But that's something I tend to find is more of a Facebook thing than anything else.

I was wondering how long it'd take for that comment. For the record (and I hate to put my political opinions out there), I voted to remain. I still dislike how the situation was treated as a parody in the novel.

skhellter

skhellter

i kinda saw this coming.

he wrote a bad book and now he's going "well you just hated it because you don't agree with my politics!"

...i'm as far left as they come.
And this really just sounds like a top to bottom bad book.

Guy's being a drama queen.
Just move on, dude.
Go write another bad book.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Finished it today...

So I personally didn't have an issue with the politics and the different nations. I surprisingly liked the fact that the story tried to expand outside the normal alien in a corridor, which does happen but at limited capacity.

We've all read about using the eggs and aliens to some company/group/persons advantage, it was kinda nice to read it being achieved and the what comes next.... an interesting storyline I wouldn't mind reading more of.

What falls apart, for me, was the actual alien encounters themselves and the "why". The author did a good job setting up some interesting story narratives with the different factions but delivering on said story was poor.

And I couldn't get into caring about the characters either, which to me is a big deal. I like being invested in what's going on with them, what their feeling etc... I couldn't stand Cher's character and she ended up being extremely annoying by the end. If a story of the three people continue, I doubt I'd read it because they weren't the ones keeping me continuing the book.

It's definitely a flawed book and in the very low ranking but for me, brought in some interesting story plots that can be done far better by someone else at the helm.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

More generous than most.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 29, 2022, 10:05:09 AMMore generous than most.

After reading everyone's thoughts, I'd say you're fairly accurate!

But, I was also wondering if me living in the States and most of you all, living closer to this whole "brexit" thing, had any influence on our overall feelings for the novel.

A perfect example would be from Alien Into Charybdis. I really liked the book but hated the "America Marine, we're tough as nails and talk like this", representation. But from what I remember, a good majority of folks not residing in the states, loved it for that exact part.

So I'm curious if the politics of Colony War is being represented in that same way...

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Gentleman Death on May 29, 2022, 04:10:19 PMA perfect example would be from Alien Into Charybdis. I really liked the book but hated the "America Marine, we're tough as nails and talk like this", representation. But from what I remember, a good majority of folks not residing in the states, loved it for that exact part.

I'm not from States and I wasn't particularly keen on it either. Their portrayal felt off for me, in over-the-top bad guys way. In general, and I know I would probably piss some folks off by saying that, but I wasn't sure how much room is there for Americans vs Muslims in an Alien story. Kinda felt Alex's interest was more in writing that than in delivering on Aliens part. I have read book once and from what I remember Aliens encounters were few and far in between and not particularly memorable. Could've cut Aliens off  from the book entirely and it would not have made much of a difference

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

That's crazy. The entire thing hinges on fear of the other mistrust. Personified through Blue Marsalis but present throughout the entire story, in each particular faction, the only good thing for conflict's the people who profit from it. That being the bigots and the war profiteers.

Kradan

Kradan

I'm sorry, Blue, I know how much you enjoy Alex's work. They are a good writer, their books are engaging to read, that's for sure. Unfortunately, Into Charybdis just didn't click with me, it never quite came together to me. Which is doubly frustrating because I enjoyed Cold Forge very much. It was tightly written, plot, characters, tone, setting - everything added up while Charybdis felt very disjointed for me. TCF had great balance of Aliens parts and corporate espionage parts. And I never felt I was preached by it while I can't say the same about Charybdis. Call it cultural, national, ethnical ignorance or whatever but that story wasn't something I wanted in an Alien story

Long story short, that book just wasn't my cup of tea

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Kradan on May 29, 2022, 06:07:21 PMI'm sorry, Blue, I know how much you enjoy Alex's work. They are a good writer, their books are engaging to read, that's for sure. Unfortunately, Into Charybdis just didn't click with me, it never quite came together to me. Which is doubly frustrating because I enjoyed Cold Forge very much. It was tightly written, plot, characters, tone, setting - everything added up while Charybdis felt very disjointed for me. TCF had great balance of Aliens parts and corporate espionage parts. And I never felt I was preached by it while I can't say the same about Charybdis. Call it cultural, national, ethnical ignorance or whatever but that story wasn't something I wanted in an Alien story

Long story short, that book just wasn't my cup of tea
I also found Into Charybdis inferior to The Cold Forge. You're not alone there Kradan.

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: Kradan on May 29, 2022, 04:30:34 PMI'm not from States and I wasn't particularly keen on it either. Their portrayal felt off for me, in over-the-top bad guys way.

Just a few days ago i was thinking to myself about how much i liked the evil midnighters squad. They're a wonderful fun element in it.

And also, i recently started following a lot of "soldier of fortune" types on twitter and... the somewhat sociopathic "sports attitude" they can have when talking about war... i saw one of them wishing he could get away with murdering civilians from the "enemy" sides... [thankfully this weirdo isn't on a battlefield atm]; one american guy in Ukraine went full paranoid in a hotel and almost killed two ukrainian soldiers [before an old lady intervened and put a stop to their standoff].

The midnighters in Charybdis are portrayed in a very melodramatic exaggerated fashion (the marines in Aliens are a bit cartoony too) but sadly Alex nailed some aspects down from the way the more weird, sociopathic military people behave.

Extreme professions attract extreme unhinged people.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed