Possibly the best analysis of the film I've read

Started by JaaayDee, Jun 09, 2012, 07:02:48 AM

Author
Possibly the best analysis of the film I've read (Read 42,702 times)

Mr. Clemens

That was a great read!

I too need an explanation of how events on Earth in 4BC could affect the black solution on LV-223, though.

Ninurta

Ninurta

Quote from: ScardyFox on Jun 09, 2012, 03:35:16 PM

Wow...

I don't even know where to begin. Did you just kinda make this up in your mind? Because even in the effed up school systems of today you will not find anywhere that say the Jews were persecuted for relegious (in Nazi Germany) reasons nor that is why the holocoaust happened in any way. Its funny because I was just talking about this a couple weeks ago. I was mentioning that its sickening that in the UK (and now some places in America) they will no longer teach about the Holocaust so as not to offend muslims (source because its so insane it seems like it MUST be a lie). I was worried because its only a matter of time before what and why is distorted. Seems it happens a lot sooner than I expected.

No, what happened to the jews has ZERO to do with religious reasons.

Hitler killed the Jewsish for more than one reason. The political reason given was that the Jews were aligned with the Bolshevik revolution in Russia therefore being communist. Communists were hated in Germany for not only their brutality but for what, they feared, was a totalitarian state in which there would be little freedom and the German culture and society would be radically changed, and everyone would suffer a lower standard of living.

The Jewish people also held a LOT of Germany's wealth through banks and other offical means that - in a free society - meant they held a HELL of a lot of power. this is why their freedoms were eroded fast and ability to own anything eroded almost over night. This is why in part Hitler believed admantly that the Jewish people were planing on taking over the world.

Nazi propagandists began to portray the Jew as the epitome of all evil and the reason for all the defeat and societal ills in Germany. He reasoned that their influence was degenerating Germany and its peoples`, and that they were why Germany lost WWI. Tainted the fine arts, bringing in disease through defiling bloodlines, introducing communism, etc etc.

Man I could go but I won't bother because this isn't the forums for that. Honestly, if you bother to argue with me you are only solidifying that you know nothing about history in that particular arena and area of time. Do yourself a favor and go read some books on it rather then blaming total untruths. What you're saying is slanderous on an unbelievable level and cast a deceitful shadow on something that should be remembered in absolute truth.

It was a total non factor.

Wow, that was quite informative.

I do recall something having to do with Muslim parents being upset with it.

Gotta love revisionist history!  ;D

Nobody every mentioned those to me in school.

In short we all got Nazis evil, said they were superior race, hated Jews, beause Jews killed Jesus, so Nazis went and killed 6 million jews.

Had no idea they were blamed for communism too. I though that was Marx?

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 09, 2012, 03:44:03 PM
That was a great read!

I too need an explanation of how events on Earth in 4BC could affect the black solution on LV-223, though.

Well, even if it was not a Jew killed Jesus thing that really got the Nazis going, the Jockies and their final solution to humans still gives me a Nazi vibe, even if its a vibe based on movie version of the Nazis.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: Ninurta on Jun 09, 2012, 03:49:33 PM
Wow, that was quite informative.

Nobody every mentioned those to me in school.

In short we all got Nazis evil, said they were superior race, hated Jews, beause Jews killed Jesus, so Nazis went and killed 6 million jews.

Had no idea they were blamed for communism too. I though that was Marx?

God no. It had nothing to do with because they killed Jesus. in fact Hitler vehemently repudiated his Christian upbringing. He hatred Christianity. As for communism they were blamed for bringing it into Germany - not for the creation of it. Honestly if you have done studies of this period in your history class and thats what they're teaching you you need to go out and educate yourself on the subject.

As I mentioned before Hitler hated Christianity. In 1937 (or 38?) Hitler's government became increasingly anti-religious. They repudiated what they saw as the Christian values of equality, compassion and weakness and extolled the atheist notions of the Nietzschean superman and a new society based on the "will to power." It was all about building a genetically superior race to him. Goebbels and the other henchmen were atheists who were brutally hostile to religion. This was a part of Nazi ideology. 

Quote from: Ninurta on Jun 09, 2012, 03:49:33 PM
Well, even if it was not a Jew killed Jesus thing that really got the Nazis going, the Jockies and their final solution to humans still gives me a Nazi vibe, even if its a vibe based on movie version of the Nazis.

A stronger build for the Nazi theme (which fits really) is that the Engineers seem hell bent on genetic superiority and purity. If humanity didn't fit their ideology in that aspect they would see no issue in eradicating us.

Predaker

Quote from: Cavalorn on Jun 09, 2012, 07:59:36 AM
Hey, I wrote this! :)

Thanks for reading, glad you liked it. It's not meant to be an absolute and final answer, just plucking out a few consistent threads from the morass of themes and symbols.
Thank you! This helped with understanding some things that might make the movie more enjoyable, despite the flaws.

Finally... some answers.  :laugh:

Have a good day!

Ninurta

Quote from: ScardyFox on Jun 09, 2012, 03:58:08 PM

A stronger build for the Nazi theme (which fits really) is that the Engineers seem hell bent on genetic superiority and purity. If humanity didn't fit their ideology in that aspect they would see no issue in eradicating us.

I like your quick breakdown of the theme much better. Also how simple the connection is.

They were giving me that feeling, even if my theory as to "why" was off base.

Leave it to Giant Space Nazis to invent the Xenomorph, you know a "superior" genetic organism and all.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Cavalorn on Jun 09, 2012, 07:59:36 AM
Hey, I wrote this! :)

Thanks for reading, glad you liked it. It's not meant to be an absolute and final answer, just plucking out a few consistent threads from the morass of themes and symbols.

This was truly a wonderful analysis. Thanks so much for clearing it all up!!

PROM3TH3US

Quote from: ScardyFox on Jun 09, 2012, 03:00:00 PM
Quote from: Ninurta on Jun 09, 2012, 02:43:23 PM
As I've said before, these guys wanting to kill us all for killing Jesus reminds me of a group that tried to kill all the Jews, who are also often blamed for killing Jesus, about 70 years ago.

It all makes me call these Jockeys "Giant Space Nazis".

They are white as whtie can get, they are big and scary, they like weapons of mass destruction, and into Genocide.
Also, the nazis before WWII were very deeply into the occult belief that ET "gods" had engineered humanity, and that they were doing the bidding of the Engineers. - they also killed 6 million of the same people who are blamed for killing Jesus.

That is only scratching the surface. I bet there is a lot more symbolism.

Eh, its almost like you're implying Jews were killed because they were the people that killed Christ (to sum it up). There was zero religious aspect in this.

Lindelof is Jewish. I wouldn't be surprise if they did put some sublimal messages into this movie about the Jews/Jesus.  I mean look at his stupid Star Trek movie script. He turn the Vulcan into a f**king Holocaust.  Nero's race as a dirty Nazi/Arabs.

jeremy_ray

Quote from: Ninurta on Jun 09, 2012, 03:16:22 PM

So far as I know is still IS a major factor in Anti-Semitism.

QuoteJesus' ministry of three-and-a-half years was to the lost house of Israel.  But they would not obey, and they crucified him.  When they did so, they screamed, "His blood be on us, and on our children," Matthew 27:25.  God hates Israel and her destruction is coming from God.  You rebellious sinful Jews will NOT get a pass because Jesus was a Jew.  The Jews killed Jesus!

jewskilledjesus.com

Color me silly but I don't see how you write a story about killing Jesus and ignore that killing Jesus is a cornerstone of anti-Semitism.

PROM3TH3US - I've been wondering what Lindelof's faith is.  As a Jew and a Democrat, promoting an anti-Semitic storyline is highly unlikely.  He could be trying to address anti-Semitism in a way I haven't grasped yet - Engineers are bad Christians, Shaw is a good Christian?  I doubt that's it, but it seems he's done something.   

Dregs

Quote from: Cavalorn on Jun 09, 2012, 12:08:44 PM
Quote from: ScardyFox on Jun 09, 2012, 12:02:48 PM
Its funny how opinions are. Personally I am not impressed with this review at all. Not to say its bad just kinda reachy for conclusions.

Yes, that's the intention. Faced with a movie that contains so much subtext, my preferred response is to bring it to light and see what it can potentially tell us about the film's underlying meaning. To do that, you HAVE to take leaps and make inferences. It's Ridley Scott, after all... origami unicorns anyone? :)

I'm not asking people to agree with my conclusions, but I would hope that pointing some of the non-obvious symbolism out (I completely missed the Christmas aspect on my first run at this, for example) would at least be an interesting contribution.
Thank You..for your thoughtful post..

DoomRulz

Quote from: jeremy_ray on Jun 09, 2012, 05:16:39 PM
Quote from: Ninurta on Jun 09, 2012, 03:16:22 PM

So far as I know is still IS a major factor in Anti-Semitism.

QuoteJesus' ministry of three-and-a-half years was to the lost house of Israel.  But they would not obey, and they crucified him.  When they did so, they screamed, "His blood be on us, and on our children," Matthew 27:25.  God hates Israel and her destruction is coming from God.  You rebellious sinful Jews will NOT get a pass because Jesus was a Jew.  The Jews killed Jesus!

jewskilledjesus.com

Color me silly but I don't see how you write a story about killing Jesus and ignore that killing Jesus is a cornerstone of anti-Semitism.

PROM3TH3US - I've been wondering what Lindelof's faith is.  As a Jew and a Democrat, promoting an anti-Semitic storyline is highly unlikely.  He could be trying to address anti-Semitism in a way I haven't grasped yet - Engineers are bad Christians, Shaw is a good Christian?  I doubt that's it, but it seems he's done something.   

It sounds you guys are really stretching the limits of the analysis presented here. Can't it just begin and end with Christian symbolism?

ScardyFox

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 09, 2012, 05:50:01 PM
It sounds you guys are really stretching the limits of the analysis presented here. Can't it just begin and end with Christian symbolism?

My exact thoughts

jeremy_ray

jeremy_ray

It doesn't begin and end with Christian symbolism.  Most obviously, Prometheus isn't a Christian figure.

Also, while Christians today may not want to talk about it, persecuting Jews is historically a part of Christianity, just like persecuting Wiccans and people of other native faiths.  The people behind jewskilledjesus.com are most likely Christians, or at least consider themselves to be Christians.   

killingvector

Quote from: ScardyFox on Jun 09, 2012, 06:07:02 PM

My exact thoughts

After tossing these ideas around for a day, I think the blogpost is a huge stretch. With so many stories in the Bible and within religious mythos (yes I said it), one can make connections between any existential question to one from a major religion. Even Billy Budd has a loose Jesus complex and has suffered overanalysis.

CyberDemon13

Wow, wonderful insight! Definitely makes me appreciate the film more, and also stirs up even more questions. Provoking deeper thought is always a good thing. Thanks a lot for this! :)

Also, I'd like to know if that comment about the Jews supposedly controlling a large portion of Germany's wealth AND being responsible for the spread of Communism in 1920s-30s Germany is historically (and/or logically) correct. It would seem rather... counterproductive. :laugh:

Anonymous684

Anonymous684

Great read my man!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed