Weyland Industries website updated w/ Corporate Timeline!

Started by Cvalda, Mar 17, 2012, 02:41:35 AM

Author
Weyland Industries website updated w/ Corporate Timeline! (Read 40,608 times)

HenryEllis

Quote from: fiveways on Mar 18, 2012, 04:51:07 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 18, 2012, 03:50:42 PM
Quote from: fiveways on Mar 18, 2012, 03:46:56 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 18, 2012, 03:33:24 PM
If I see that Ellison stuff again I'll scream. Not that anyone will hear me. (http://www.dvdvision.fr/jco/Ellison.htm)

They didn't put in any of "Demon with a Glass Hand" which was the other episode Cameron creatively borrowed from.  Maybe I will dig out my copy and do that.
Because according to Ellison himself: "'Terminator' was not stolen from 'Demon with a Glass Hand" - he pinned it entirely on Solider (that is, both stories feature a time traveller from a war-torn future arriving in the contemporary day - and that's it. If that constitutes a ripping off then Alien really is creatively bankrupt; save for the ideas nicked from 50's B-movies and literature). Source for Ellison's statement: http://harlanellison.com/heboard/archive/bull0108.htm

(You said "creatively borrowed from" in your last post rather than ripped off, so I hope I don't sound too churlish in my reply here)

I haven't read that Ellison statement before.  In the 80's he implied that he felt demon with a glass hand was borrowed from but I am gonna read it and see how that changed.  And by digging out demon with a glass hand, i mean hooking up a vcr and popping in a cassette.  Then again, it's prolly on youtube.

Also I openly state that one of the reason I like it so much IS BECAUSE it feels like a good heavy metal/metal hurlant strip.  And that "Aliens" has none of that feel to it. 

Ridley was the person who said he was really influenced my Moebius and Metal Hurlant, not Dan O'bannon.

Not true, Aliens feels (and Looks) like a comic too if not more so, it defined the entire (dark horse) comic series.  If anything Alien is more of a heavy metal short story, and Aliens an (adult) graphic novel.  That (used to be) James Cameron's style as the Terminator was exactly the same thing (and translated so well to comic adaptations as a result).  The fact that it looks and feels so comic book has always been the primary reason I love it so much. 

Char

I still think the cancer thing is a moot point since the director's cut already seems a bit uncanonical imo.  If they only choose to go with the theatrical cut, I think most people would be fine with that.  Similarly, I would expect them to make a choice between the dog and ox in Alien 3.

Valaquen

Quote from: Char on Mar 18, 2012, 06:14:34 PM
I still think the cancer thing is a moot point since the director's cut already seems a bit uncanonical imo.  If they only choose to go with the theatrical cut, I think most people would be fine with that.  Similarly, I would expect them to make a choice between the dog and ox in Alien 3.
James Cameron said the Special Edition is his intended cut, not the theatrical. In some places you can't even buy the Aliens TC  (before the DVD/BD multi-sets). The cancer thing isn't much of an issue, I wrote on my blog - There seems to be a discrepancy here leading up to Aliens, as Ripley's daughter Amanda dies of cancer - "still haven't licked that one," mutters Burke. However, the timeline explains that most cancers were rendered treatable, but not all. Additionally, cancer may have found a way to profligate despite the treatments at hand. It isn't hard to imagine that by the timeframe of Aliens, and certainly by the timeframe of Alien, that cancer cures have become an expensive commodity in the neo-industrialised world, being available only to the higher echelons of society. Lastly, we should consider the dubious source of the timeline - Weyland Industries itself. Don't expect the Company to allow any cracks to appear in its prestigious and pristine image

Deuterium

Deuterium

If I see that Ellison stuff again I'll scream. Not that anyone will hear me.

Not sure if you consciously or sub-consciously meant it...but you made a pretty effective pun on Harlan Ellison's fantastic short story "I have no mouth, and I must scream".  So, kudos, either way.  8)

Valaquen

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 18, 2012, 06:42:46 PM
If I see that Ellison stuff again I'll scream. Not that anyone will hear me.

Not sure if you consciously or sub-consciously meant it...but you made a pretty effective pun on Harlan Ellison's fantastic short story "I have no mouth, and I must scream".  So, kudos, either way.  8)
;) :laugh:

harlock

No comments about the energy crisis renewable solar energy would cause, then?  :-\

Valaquen

No one really cared about the specifics of sound in space in Alien. Suspension of disbelief = enjoyment.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Dface on Mar 18, 2012, 10:13:04 AM
http://pastebin.com/H39KeW1X

script for that pass
Sooo, anyone willing to brute force the password from their server? I'm too paranoid. ;)

josh_axey

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Mar 19, 2012, 01:11:02 AM
Quote from: Dface on Mar 18, 2012, 10:13:04 AM
http://pastebin.com/H39KeW1X

script for that pass
Sooo, anyone willing to brute force the password from their server? I'm too paranoid. ;)

Heh, only problem is fox owns the site, and I don't think they'd be particularly impressed if the site was exploited by someone.

I'm actually surprised that not much manpower/brainpower has been thrown at guessing the password yet, unless it's happening on another board?

LarsVader

Quote from: josh_axey on Mar 19, 2012, 01:41:51 AM
I'm actually surprised that not much manpower/brainpower has been thrown at guessing the password yet, unless it's happening on another board?
Indeed... http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34138

Xenomrph

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 18, 2012, 11:44:06 PM
No one really cared about the specifics of sound in space in Alien. Suspension of disbelief = enjoyment.
Shit, the Nostromo explodes three times. :P

Valaquen

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 19, 2012, 02:37:16 AM
And Ridley's explanation was three is a good number  :P Alien tends to get a free pass compared to the other films' lack of scientific 'integrity'.

The Necronoir

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 19, 2012, 09:10:14 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 19, 2012, 02:37:16 AM
And Ridley's explanation was three is a good number  :P Alien tends to get a free pass compared to the other films' lack of scientific 'integrity'.
Well no, the Nostromo explodes once, and the refinery presumably in two stages. Insofar as the suspension of disbelief goes in Alien, that's the least of many possible examples.

Cvalda

Quote from: The Necronoir on Mar 19, 2012, 09:30:06 AM
Well no, the Nostromo explodes once, and the refinery presumably in two stages. Insofar as the suspension of disbelief goes in Alien, that's the least of many possible examples.
^ This.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed