Blomkamp chats to IGN about his new Alien film

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Mar 04, 2015, 11:42:13 AM

Author
Blomkamp chats to IGN about his new Alien film (Read 28,435 times)

whiterabbit

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 04, 2015, 02:32:30 PM
I still don't understand why he wants to make an Alien movie sequel when he clearly isn't interested in making one rather than a fan fiction story. Like I said before, he has cool ideas and all when it comes to concerts and design, but the rest...
Hey, wait a minute, we've see some concept art and character resurrection talk but I have yet to hear any good ideas.

CainsSon

Quote from: whiterabbit on Mar 05, 2015, 05:52:36 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 04, 2015, 02:32:30 PM
I still don't understand why he wants to make an Alien movie sequel when he clearly isn't interested in making one rather than a fan fiction story. Like I said before, he has cool ideas and all when it comes to concerts and design, but the rest...
Hey, wait a minute, we've see some concept art and character resurrection talk but I have yet to hear any good ideas.

Yeah, all Ive heard about is the ideas I've liked in the past getting thrown out because he doesn't like them. Also what is this BS conceit that Alien 3 doesn't feel like the same world as ALIEN and ALIENS?

Ive spent 24 years listening to people complain about ALIEN 3 and I have literarlly NEVER heard one person try and say that it doesn't seem like the same universe, not from a design or thematic sense. In fact this is one of the more universal strengths people ascribe to it, even the haters.

OpenMaw

Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 05, 2015, 06:03:08 AM
Ive spent 24 years listening to people complain about ALIEN 3 and I have literarlly NEVER heard one person try and say that it doesn't seem like the same universe, not from a design or thematic sense. In fact this is one of the more universal strengths people ascribe to it, even the haters.

Kinda sorta. I think Aliens does a better job of connecting with Alien in it's opening sequences than Alien 3 does to Aliens, but yeah, i've never once looked at Alien 3 and gone "This doesn't feel like the same universe."

Samus007

Quote from: Adam802 on Mar 05, 2015, 03:57:46 AM
Quote from: Weylan on Mar 05, 2015, 03:40:44 AM
Jarac, I do agree that Resurrection was a product of that, but at this point if they MUST have Ripley in Alien 5 (we which I think she shouldn't be), just finish Ripley 8's story instead of resorting to Fan Fiction nonsense of retcons, Ellen, Newt etc died people need to let that go...the one thing we definitely agree on is that they need New Original Characters. Blomkamp should just create new characters for this film, it'd perfect.

No.  A:R sucked, and Ripley 8 sucked.  Nothing worth working with there.  At all.  Thank god Alien V is ignoring them.  Making a sequel to A:R would be WAY more fan fiction-ish than ANY "retcon/alt timeline".  This new movie sounds geat so far, and is the alien film Ive always wanted.

I agree with you. I'm not a fan of Alien 3 all that much myself, I've always said it's a decent movie but a terrible sequel. And Resurrection is beyond awful, so I am very excited about what NB has in mind for bringing Hicks, Newt, Ripley, and probably Bishop back. Bring on this new "Alien 3" i say.

The Cruentus

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 04, 2015, 12:22:59 PM
QuoteBlomkamp on Alien:Isolation: I think it's amazing. Even from the first screen grabs, just the quality of the art direction and how it looks. I'm such a visual person that the narrative of stuff is neither here nor there for me sometimes. It's literally about imagery. And when I saw the images I thought 'Sh*t, they can't be that good.'  And then I played it and to me it was that good. It's so good. It's ridiculous. It's actually interesting because it raises an interesting design question for me which is that when Alien was made it was cutting edge. 'Mother' was cutting edge, and a green CRT monochromatic monitor was cutting edge, you know what I mean? And it's like Aliens: The Director's Cut, with Reel 2 re-inserted, when you're on the colony planet and he's getting print-outs on dot-matrix paper with holes down the side – that sh*t was real man. On the planet, in that future, that was cutting edge. So it's an interesting debate if you look at it from my stand-point, which is do I make my cutting edge... is it cutting edge, or is it actually closer to the first two. Because I wanted to be like it has the same parent. It's a genetic offspring of the first two movies, and Alien Isolation made me question that quite a lot. Because they got it so perfect with all of the late 1970s early '80s tech, it's really cool.

I really hope he goes the lo-fi route with his Alien film. I wanna see monochrome fishbowl CRT screens and dot-matrix printouts all over the place.  :laugh:

I didn't mind what they did with Isolation, I put it down to simply that in the future, they reuse old tech for spacecrafts and colonies because most of the budget would go to the safety and structures etc because even in the future where space travel is normal, I doubt we would ever forget how dangerous it is and how nearly impossible it was to explore space. Obvious the Weyland company is way ahead so would have all the advanced tech seen in Prometheus and because according to isolation, they actually hoarded it and refused to allow it to be used by the public cue the rise of seesgon, who allowed everyone to start space travelling and colonization of worlds though their tech was partially stolen from Weyland-Yutani.

I go by that reasoning because as much as I liked Isolation and its retro-designs, I don't want the Alien series to be set in a weird retro-future like world of tomorrow or bio-shock.

NetworkATTH

The future of Alien is, Wow space travel that sure is cool. Except its Late Capitalism in Space. It sucks. Everyone's poor. And your grandpa is telling you "Back in my day, we had these things called holograms, can you believe that, ERH! Now you kids have your CRT monitors and your 8-bit games. I don't understand today's generation."

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Weylan on Mar 05, 2015, 05:26:09 AM
Sorry Adam but Blomkamp's Alien so far sounds like a whiney butt hurt fanboy's fan fiction

Except we don't know anything about the story, aside from it not featuring Ripley 8.

Until we begin to get some concrete details about the story details, it honestly feels very immature for anyone to be prejudging this project. We have nothing to go on except for some concept art which may or may not even make it to the end result.

This is getting as bad as when people first saw the concept art and had already decided it would therefore be an awesome film.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 06, 2015, 03:45:19 PM
Sorry Adam but Blomkamp's Alien so far sounds like a whiney butt hurt fanboy's fan fiction

Except we don't know anything about the story, aside from it not featuring Ripley 8.

Until we begin to get some concrete details about the story details, it honestly feels very immature for anyone to be prejudging this project. We have nothing to go on except for some concept art which may or may not even make it to the end result.

This is getting as bad as when people first saw the concept art and had already decided it would therefore be an awesome film.

Indeed, while I had my doubts about a retcon (not anymore) because it can come across as fan-service, I never resorted to bashing Neill or Alien V, the story is not even there yet, all we got is a bunch of concept art which may or may not ever be used and news that Ripley and Hicks may be back.  Instead of going crazy, people should hold their tongue until some part of the story is revealed, never judge a book by its cover, and assumptions are the mother of all f***ups.  :laugh:

Samus007

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 06, 2015, 03:53:14 PM

Indeed, while I had my doubts about a retcon (not anymore) because it can come across as fan-service, I never resorted to bashing Neill or Alien V, the story is not even there yet, all we got is a bunch of concept art which may or may not ever be used and news that Ripley and Hicks may be back.  Instead of going crazy, people should hold their tongue until some part of the story is revealed, never judge a book by its cover, and assumptions are the mother of all f***ups.  :laugh:

Ain't that the truth. I think we all assumed Prometheus would be the best Sci Fi movie since Alien and Blade Runner, and look how that turned out.  :-\  One never knows if something is going to be good or bad till it literally releases in theaters, I was one who thought that Heath Ledger would be a terrible Joker, boy was I ever completely wrong.

CainsSon

After seeing CHAPPIE last night, I think he will make a good film based solely on the fact that he was able to create great characters that people will care about before things start getting shot up.

The Cruentus

Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 06, 2015, 05:32:58 PM

After seeing CHAPPIE last night, I think he will make a good film based solely on the fact that he was able to create great characters that people will care about before things start getting shot up.

Unfortunately the reviews of Chappie are not encouraging but public opinion can always be different to critic's, I believe the first predator wasn't given good reviews but was better received after some time passed but most of us probably loved it regardless.

Valaquen

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 06, 2015, 05:39:10 PM
Unfortunately the reviews of Chappie are not encouraging but public opinion can always be different to critic's, I believe the first predator wasn't given good reviews but was better received after some time passed but most of us probably loved it regardless.

A lot of professional critics didn't like ALIEN either: https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/bad-alien-reviews/

Ebert wrote what I thought was a pretty disinterested review of PREDATOR as well.

I guess it's up to the audiences and, if a film does have merit, the critics catch up eventually.

Son Of Kane

Absolutely true, Ebert also didn't give Brazil a glowing review either but now it's a cult classic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed