Blomkamp chats to IGN about his new Alien film

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Mar 04, 2015, 11:42:13 AM

Author
Blomkamp chats to IGN about his new Alien film (Read 28,440 times)

TimmyTurnersDad

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 04, 2015, 02:32:30 PM
I still don't understand why he wants to make an Alien movie sequel when he clearly isn't interested in making one rather than a fan fiction story. Like I said before, he has cool ideas and all when it comes to concerts and design, but the rest...

He IS clearly interested in making an Alien story. It's just a story that you are writing off as being fan fiction.

But hey, not everyone is going to see eye-to-eye, which is fine.

Russ

I still don't understand why he wants to make an Alien movie sequel when he clearly isn't interested in making one rather than a fan fiction story. Like I said before, he has cool ideas and all when it comes to concerts and design, but the rest...
I think most people who go into the movie business are fans of movies - that someone is taking a project that he/she is a fan of doesn't necessarily make that a bad thing.

Jarac

Good interview. I especially like the part where he talked about Alien: Isolation. Blomkamp knows how to do visuals and atmosphere, and I think in that department, he will do well. I know he's not as good when it comes to the writing/narrative, but I'm confident he recognizes this weakness and will hand the pen to an excellent writer who can refine and bring his story ideas to fruition.

Russ

Quote from: Jarac on Mar 04, 2015, 02:41:08 PM
I'm confident he recognizes this weakness and will hand the pen to an excellent writer who can refine and bring his story ideas to fruition.

^ This. I really hope so too. The director's "vision" (I really hate that term) is well and good but they should be paying fortunes for a writer on this one. Top dollar for the writer, definitely.

Samus007

I hope that he shows James Cameron a bit of what he is thinking of doing as well, to get some feedback on that (as I am sure he has done with Ridley Scott since he is producing this film). It can't hurt thats for sure, Cameron might have a few ideas that NB can take into consideration as to where Cameron wanted Hicks, Newt, and Ripley to go.

Doggo33

This interview makes me worry.
It sounds like he's not really bothered what other peole want, and it's more about him just experimenting with the story (which presumably is attempting to erase 'Alien 3' and 'Alien: Resurrection'; meaning he lied previously).

'Producing' doesn't really mean much, as far as I know, in terms of input of content. But I'm not keen on Ridley Scott producing it. After 'Prometheus' I'd like him to not be involved with the 'Alien' franchise any more.

"I'm such a visual person, that the narrative of stuff is neither here nor there for me" - ?? No. Don't make an 'Alien' movie if you aren't interested in good narrative. I really hope that was just referencing games.

On a kind of side note, I wouldn't call 'Alien: Isolation' perfect. I think there was a lot wrong with it. It was great visually and in terms of sound. But otherwise - eh.

TheSulaco426

either way, no matter what, Im gonna buy the special edition blu-ray after the film comes out and watch the 4 hour documentary to see how it was made, sometimes I like watching those more than the actual films, I cant help myself.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I hope Charles de Lauzirika gets to make the documentary. Dangerous Days is probably the best movie doco I've ever seen.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 04, 2015, 01:05:49 PM
So long as he doesn't base it solely on 'Alien Isolation'. Some parts of that were too low-tech, like audio cassettes and such. Don't recall seeing stuff like that in the films.

If what we see looks like it could have fitted right in at Gateway Station, that would be great continuity.

Totally with you on that. I enjoyed the lo-fi feel but they did go a bit overboard. You couldn't really build a space station like that and still be primarily running 24 minute cassettes and tape decks. 70's aesthetic doesn't have to be actual 70's tech. That, and the horrendous static and flickers on every video in the game. Should have been a little more subtle I think. So yeah, as far as the tech in this upcoming film goes, it should be retro-ish, but still sci-fi.

Also, it was a bit amusing to see him praising the game during the interview, considering IGN's review.

T Dog

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 04, 2015, 06:00:05 PM
I hope Charles de Lauzirika gets to make the documentary. Dangerous Days is probably the best movie doco I've ever seen.

The Beast Within - The Making of Alien is my favourite movie doc of all time. That's my winner because I saw it before Dangerous Days and was flabbergasted by richness of information.

TimmyTurnersDad

Quote from: CelticPred97 on Mar 04, 2015, 05:26:10 PM
This interview makes me worry.
It sounds like he's not really bothered what other peole want, and it's more about him just experimenting with the story (which presumably is attempting to erase 'Alien 3' and 'Alien: Resurrection'; meaning he lied previously).

He didn't lie. He's not undoing A3 or A:R; he's just ignoring them and following the first two films only. They still exist. That previous timeline still exists. He was just being respectful to the fans of those films.

Quote'Producing' doesn't really mean much, as far as I know, in terms of input of content. But I'm not keen on Ridley Scott producing it. After 'Prometheus' I'd like him to not be involved with the 'Alien' franchise any more.

I can understand this, though I'm feeling far more comfortable about Ridley just producing it than if he had been directing this himself. I'd actually love it if Cameron were also producing or helping with the script too.

Quote"I'm such a visual person, that the narrative of stuff is neither here nor there for me" - ?? No. Don't make an 'Alien' movie if you aren't interested in good narrative. I really hope that was just referencing games.

On a kind of side note, I wouldn't call 'Alien: Isolation' perfect. I think there was a lot wrong with it. It was great visually and in terms of sound. But otherwise - eh.

This is worth some amount of concern, but I think his overall attitude so far makes me willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm just hoping Blomkamp decides to look for a skilled screenwriter to transform his story treatment into a great script.

Nightmare Asylum

Great interview. If nothing else this film is going to be gorgeous -- in a deliciously retro sort of way, hopefully.

I hope Terri is co-writing.

Vrastal

I just want  strong story with good looking aliens.. Isolation did a decent job with both. The story telling though a bit weak in some areas wasnt too bad if you could find all the tapes and recorders and stuff. But Games and movies are very different story telling devices.

I just wish we had some sort of idea as to what this would be about

whiterabbit

George Lucas' attitude combined with aliens... meh the star wars prequels were awesome enough.

xeno-kaname

Quote from: TimmyTurnersDad on Mar 04, 2015, 02:36:27 PM

He IS clearly interested in making an Alien story. It's just a story that you are writing off as being fan fiction.

But hey, not everyone is going to see eye-to-eye, which is fine.
Yup yup.

And I'm really liking what Blomkamp is saying in his recent interviews, specially the "Giger Freudian horror terror" he's hoping to achieve. But the narrative comment was the one thing that gave me concern. In bringing back these characters, the narrative and story are crucial for success. Even more so with the toes he's stepping on by bringing them back. He did acknowledge this was his mistake with Elysium as he focused in the concepts and imagery more over the story itself. This is good and I hope it means he's looking for a competitive writer to compliment his current vision and rough draft he has of the story, but it is a bit worrying. I do think that it is fresh in his mind since he did feel self conscious about his shortcomings with Elysium, so that is also good. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed