Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 828,239 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Annihilation

Love it. I do wonder if naming a character Ventress was an intentional Star Wars reference or just a coincidence.

VFW

Very cool film with a great cast of old guys, strong Carpenter vibes, Argento lighting, and insane over the top gore and violence.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 12, 2020, 09:13:18 PM
Annihilation

Love it. I do wonder if naming a character Ventress was an intentional Star Wars reference or just a coincidence.

Probably my favorite movie of 2018. I've watched it so many times since then.

Have you watched Devs yet?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 12, 2020, 09:20:20 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on May 12, 2020, 09:13:18 PM
Annihilation

Probably my favorite movie of 2018. I've watched it so many times since then.

Have you watched Devs yet?

Don't have Hulu.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Prez on May 12, 2020, 02:06:32 PMSo what actually happens to Traeger? I know Munn calls his name out and he turns along with his shoulder canon but ... it happens so fast that I'm still unsure why or what...

In the film it looks as though he shoots himself purely because Brackett calls his name and he turns to look at her and fires into the back of his own head like a dipshit.

The novel offers a slightly better explanation - his trouser [pants] leg is set on fire during the shootout that sets the Upgrade ablaze, and Brackett calls out to him to warn him (the implication being that in the chaos of the firefight and with the adrenaline pumping, Traeger hasn't noticed right away). The shock of realising he's on fire releases a surge of whatever hormones into his bloodstream, and this unintentionally triggers the plasmacaster and kills him, the weapon apparently having a degree of telepathic control built into it (not the first time that's been suggested) that he obviously hasn't mastered. It's still kinda silly, but it does make a hell of a lot more sense.

If you look very closely in the film, you can see Traeger's leg catching fire right before he kills himself, but it's cut so fast it's almost impossible to notice. I didn't pick up on it at all until after I read the novel and was specifically looking out for it, and even then I barely clocked it.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2020, 07:56:48 AM
Quote from: Prez on May 12, 2020, 02:06:32 PMSo what actually happens to Traeger? I know Munn calls his name out and he turns along with his shoulder canon but ... it happens so fast that I'm still unsure why or what...

In the film it looks as though he shoots himself purely because Brackett calls his name and he turns to look at her and fires into the back of his own head like a dipshit.

The novel offers a slightly better explanation - his trouser [pants] leg is set on fire during the shootout that sets the Upgrade ablaze, and Brackett calls out to him to warn him (the implication being that in the chaos of the firefight and with the adrenaline pumping, Traeger hasn't noticed right away). The shock of realising he's on fire releases a surge of whatever hormones into his bloodstream, and this unintentionally triggers the plasmacaster and kills him, the weapon apparently having a degree of telepathic control built into it (not the first time that's been suggested) that he obviously hasn't mastered. It's still kinda silly, but it does make a hell of a lot more sense.

If you look very closely in the film, you can see Traeger's leg catching fire right before he kills himself, but it's cut so fast it's almost impossible to notice. I didn't pick up on it at all until after I read the novel and was specifically looking out for it, and even then I barely clocked it.

Thanks man. I can leave this planet satisfied now ...

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Sorcerer
William Friedkin's Tense as all hell adaptation of Wages of Fear. Its a mammoth slow burn but all the better for it

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Invasion of Astro-Monster

I love how in the English version, Glenn gives a stirring speech about beauty only being skin deep and love coming from the heart, while in the Japanese version he just talks about preferring variety when it comes to beautiful women. :laugh:

Hudson

Hudson

I just watched Highlander for the first time. This kind of caught me off guard, considering it has several sequels and multiple other media properties tied to it's name. What I mean to say is, this felt objectively bad. Like, so bad it's actually good. The ADR was on another level of bad, and Christopher Lambert was honestly horrible in the role.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Napoleon Dynamite

Still funny as hell.

j0nesy

j0nesy

the lighthouse:

strange (really f***ing strange), atmospheric, beautifully framed

Kradan

Kradan

Kin-dza-dza (1986)

Meanwhile in The Soviet Russia version of Mad Max

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Hudson on May 14, 2020, 02:04:11 PMI just watched Highlander for the first time. This kind of caught me off guard, considering it has several sequels and multiple other media properties tied to it's name. What I mean to say is, this felt objectively bad. Like, so bad it's actually good. The ADR was on another level of bad, and Christopher Lambert was honestly horrible in the role.

Highlander's a really weird movie for me because there's so much wrong with it, and yet the things that are right somehow save it. The first half is really kinda naff, but once you get to the "Who Wants to Live Forever" bit, it suddenly becomes a bloody good movie. You can absolutely tell it was directed by a music video director, and at times Mulcahy feels totally out of his depth, but at other times his direction shines. The casting of Lambert and Connery is totally wrong (Connery's great as always, but a Spaniard?!), yet Clancy Brown is so damn good as the villain. Some of the editing's shocking, especially in the first half, but then a lot of the later stuff is fantastic, with some great imagery. Tons of cringey, awful dialogue, but also some supremely memorable lines. Acting that covers the full range of talent. And the movie manages to almost totally squander it's core concept, and yet at the end of the day it still has that amazingly original idea of immortals battling through the ages.

Also - f*cking Queen did the music. How awesome is that?

As a movie it's completely and utterly all over the place, and yet somehow that only adds to its charm.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 15, 2020, 08:27:23 AM
Quote from: Hudson on May 14, 2020, 02:04:11 PMI just watched Highlander for the first time. This kind of caught me off guard, considering it has several sequels and multiple other media properties tied to it's name. What I mean to say is, this felt objectively bad. Like, so bad it's actually good. The ADR was on another level of bad, and Christopher Lambert was honestly horrible in the role.

Highlander's a really weird movie for me because there's so much wrong with it, and yet the things that are right somehow save it. The first half is really kinda naff, but once you get to the "Who Wants to Live Forever" bit, it suddenly becomes a bloody good movie. You can absolutely tell it was directed by a music video director, and at times Mulcahy feels totally out of his depth, but at other times his direction shines. The casting of Lambert and Connery is totally wrong (Connery's great as always, but a Spaniard?!), yet Clancy Brown is so damn good as the villain. Some of the editing's shocking, especially in the first half, but then a lot of the later stuff is fantastic, with some great imagery. Tons of cringey, awful dialogue, but also some supremely memorable lines. Acting that covers the full range of talent. And the movie manages to almost totally squander it's core concept, and yet at the end of the day it still has that amazingly original idea of immortals battling through the ages.

Also - f*cking Queen did the music. How awesome is that?

As a movie it's completely and utterly all over the place, and yet somehow that only adds to its charm.

Those transition shots between present and past and spot on for me

and just think it was nearly Marillion doing the soundtrack

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The Benefactor
Okay drama starring Richard Gere and Dakota Fanning

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Major League
I hadnt seen this in years. I'd forgotten how many recognisable people where in it

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed