What do you want to see in Romulus?

Started by littlesprout, Jan 07, 2023, 11:15:22 PM

Author
What do you want to see in Romulus? (Read 41,881 times)

Kimarhi

I'd just do a soft reboot.  Keep the Alien and series staples like WY (or the corporate influence of the future), USCMC, etc but totally ignore the prequels and anything tied into Ripley. 

If the standalone away from the same elements is a success then you can spawn other standalone films to follow in those footsteps.  If it isn't then as much as I hate to say it, because I despise Prometheus, then the age of sequels that continually tie into one storyline will continue. 

I just want Scott to not be involved.  He has hijacked the franchise and wrecked its corpse on a broken shore somewhere off of mediocrity isle. 

He's become the John Calipari of the Alien franchise.  He's won a title.  Had some success since that title, but has been too long doing the same work with the same team...........and needs to take his ass on somewhere so the team can grow without his influence over the franchise. 

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 07, 2023, 11:38:16 PMJust thinking visually for now, since we're pretty in the dark on what the movie's actual ambitions are, I would love for the world it is set on - be it called "Romulus" or something else - to be the site of ancient, decaying biomechanical Engineer/Space Jockey ruins (with a bit of Covenant-esque Roman architecture thrown in, for good measure).

Recent implied habitation by David, in between the Engineers' departure and the film's cast's arrival, would be cool but is not a requirement. ;)

With news of every Alien release, I will always want to see a proper Giger-world, to see his biomechanics just stretch off into the distance. I'd also be happy with a Hiveworld, a large scale hive. I also quite like the sounds of your take on the concept, with Romulus being that world.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 08, 2023, 01:30:52 PMI want it to be different, like as different as Alien Resurrection was from AlienĀ³ as AlienĀ³ was from Aliens and as Aliens was from Alien, it is something I loved immediately about the series from my first exposure as a kid to them on DVD.

Also an entirely fair point and something that I love about the series. And judging from Don't Breathe and Evil Dead, I think we will have a completely different feeling Alien film. I think it may lean into Alien with a darker look, but I think tonally it'll feel completely different which is fine by me. I'm expecting a very brutal film and I'll aboard that, especially if we get a more sadistic and brutal take on the Alien too.

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jan 08, 2023, 05:51:54 PMI want the creature to revert to the xeno's behaviour in the very first film. Instead of screeching like a hissing cat that has just had a bucket of water thrown over it and running straight at trouble, have it circle like a lion. Have it have the patience it did when it observed Brett. Have it be curious. Have it have some kind of unsettling undetone to what it is doing to its victims rather than another headbite, pull-away shot.

Yes. Just yes!

skhellter

with that title

I want the crew to crash land on an Engineer planet.
I want them to be made prisoners of the Engineers
and i want them to fight in colosseum arenas against aliens
while this plays

https://youtu.be/Ml4wAnvfM4M?t=40

TC

TC

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 08, 2023, 04:46:24 PM
Quote from: TC on Jan 08, 2023, 03:47:03 PMJust give me a movie that makes me feel something.

TC

Well, some movies can make us feel amazed, satisfied, disappointed... but to the point of not making us feel anything at all? Is there any movie on the IP that has left you with that feeling?

Yes. Prometheus and Covenant.

But I get that your usage of the word "feel" is different from mine.

You're using "feel" in the context of expressing an opinion ("I feel that Ridley Scott is the best director" means the same thing as "I think Ridley Scott is the best director").

Likewise, you can express opinions about various movies the same way: "I feel that movie is amazing/satisfying/disappointing" cf "I think that movie is amazing/satisfying/disappointing."

QuoteJust give me a movie that makes me feel something.

I was talking about the emotions you "feel," in real-time, as the movie plays out before you.

Mainly this comes from a high degree of empathy with the main character(s). In stories, it's the best way to capture the audience's attention and build interest and enjoyment.

However, if a film hasn't built that empathetic connection between me and the characters, that doesn't necessarily mean it's total shit. There are other ways to enjoy a film, it's just that those other ways are less enduring. For example, I can be entertained by a bit of spectacle (a few explosions, a car chase here and there), some mystery and suspense, and a few state-of-the-art visual effects.

This is my experience with Prometheus and Covenant - enjoyable, lots to see, lots to experience; but not much empathy going on.

When you make a movie you are creating a virtual world, and as we know from modern gaming, the best virtual worlds are all about immersion. But in drama we go beyond what you see and hear, we also try to immerse you in the lives of the characters by giving you that empathetical connection with them, so that you feel what they feel.

In the end, this is what every artist strives to achieve (be they musician, poet, filmmaker): to make you feel something.

TC

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: TC on Jan 09, 2023, 03:49:33 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 08, 2023, 04:46:24 PM
Quote from: TC on Jan 08, 2023, 03:47:03 PMJust give me a movie that makes me feel something.

TC

Well, some movies can make us feel amazed, satisfied, disappointed... but to the point of not making us feel anything at all? Is there any movie on the IP that has left you with that feeling?

Yes. Prometheus and Covenant.

But I get that your usage of the word "feel" is different from mine.

You're using "feel" in the context of expressing an opinion ("I feel that Ridley Scott is the best director" means the same thing as "I think Ridley Scott is the best director").

Likewise, you can express opinions about various movies the same way: "I feel that movie is amazing/satisfying/disappointing" cf "I think that movie is amazing/satisfying/disappointing."

QuoteJust give me a movie that makes me feel something.

I was talking about the emotions you "feel," in real-time, as the movie plays out before you.

Mainly this comes from a high degree of empathy with the main character(s). In stories, it's the best way to capture the audience's attention and build interest and enjoyment.

However, if a film hasn't built that empathetic connection between me and the characters, that doesn't necessarily mean it's total shit. There are other ways to enjoy a film, it's just that those other ways are less enduring. For example, I can be entertained by a bit of spectacle (a few explosions, a car chase here and there), some mystery and suspense, and a few state-of-the-art visual effects.

This is my experience with Prometheus and Covenant - enjoyable, lots to see, lots to experience; but not much empathy going on.

When you make a movie you are creating a virtual world, and as we know from modern gaming, the best virtual worlds are all about immersion. But in drama we go beyond what you see and hear, we also try to immerse you in the lives of the characters by giving you that empathetical connection with them, so that you feel what they feel.

In the end, this is what every artist strives to achieve (be they musician, poet, filmmaker): to make you feel something.

TC

Fair enough. But on the other hand...What in your opinion is the Alien movie that has the best worldbuilding? when it comes to the presentation of the world, its characters...etc.

BlueMarsalis79

I will say though, a lot of artists just create for themselves, and I think that approach totally valid even if it does not always appeal to me.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: skhellter on Jan 09, 2023, 10:56:12 AMwith that title

while this plays

The Sir likes this post.

As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

They really teased me lastime >:(

bobby brown

I want to see a completely new alien creature. obviously a related breed of the xenomorph, but as new in design as the queen was in aliens. No facehuggers and the other stuff. Make something new and surprising!

SiL

SiL

I'd like some Aliens in my Alien movie please.

You can find things that aren't Aliens in all those movies that aren't part of the Aliens franchise. There's a few.

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 09, 2023, 04:22:54 PM
Quote from: skhellter on Jan 09, 2023, 10:56:12 AMwith that title

while this plays

The Sir likes this post.

As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.

They'll be forced to wear biomechanical half-helmets.

Kradan

Kradan

Half of everything, actually

Shinawi

Shinawi

I'd like to see more androids. Androids would do most of the dirty and dangerous works. They'd protect people. And androids would help people calculate and plan faster. The human characters would be so dependent on the androids that they wouldn't know what to do without them. And add in a person who refused to become dependent on the androids. This person would be a survivalist. The other people would become dependent on him when there are no androids nearby. Actually, I think we're really headed in this direction of becoming dependent on AI. Look at how far we've come with AI technology:

And introduce xenomorphs that are scarier than before. The original ones are good, but it'll take more to scare the Alien fans now. I wouldn't mind having the original versions in addition to the new ones. (The new ones don't have to be considered as new in the movie). Make the androids as impressive fighters. And yet make the xenomorphs scary and powerful enough to be a handful for the androids.

Kane's other son

I'd like a return to the cosmic horror of the first one: The aliens not just as vicious extraterrestrial animals but as a manifestation of a cruel, dark universe.

I'd also enjoy some hints that the engineers are a species that were inspired by and emulated the OG space jockeys.

And PLEASE, don't try to come up with an even bigger version of the alien. I hate when sequels try to come up with "improved" versions of the monster.

Shinawi

Shinawi

I like the first one too, but I lost the feeling of mystery and horror from it after watching the Alien series for decades. It's also probably because of the way a much later movie depicted the xenomorphs. Now it's like watching a Marvel movie. I understand the viewers who are relatively new to these series. It took a long time for me to lose my fear of the early ones. This is why I liked the Queen in the second movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed