News and Social Media posts regarding Alien: Covenant

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Nov 07, 2015, 02:09:21 PM

Author
News and Social Media posts regarding Alien: Covenant (Read 558,402 times)

echobbase79

No, I don't think it was. All the theaters in my area are just 2-D.

John Doe

gantarat

echobbase79

Beardomorph

The problem I have with Kermode's review ( I've never been a fan of what I've read from him. I know he's respected, but the couple of reviews I have read from him have been drivel and missing the points big time - I have his review of Nymphomaniac in mind ) is that he judges Covenant by comparing it endlessly to the original Alien, which is once again missing the point of the movie completely. Covenant is not about the Alien, it's about a robot gone mad in space. Two very different things.

Protozoid

Quote from: Beardomorph on May 13, 2017, 03:58:19 PM
The problem I have with Kermode's review ( I've never been a fan of what I've read from him. I know he's respected, but the couple of reviews I have read from him have been drivel and missing the points big time - I have his review of Nymphomaniac in mind ) is that he judges Covenant by comparing it endlessly to the original Alien, which is once again missing the point of the movie completely. Covenant is not about the Alien, it's about a robot gone mad in space. Two very different things.
Yet it is called "Alien: Covenant," not "Robot: Covenant" and the artificiality of the Fassbenderr characters was downplayed in all adverts. This was marketed as an Alien prequel. You are thinking of Prometheus, which was unfairly maligned for not being Alieny enough despite being about the origins and future of humankind and artificial intelligence.

Beardomorph

Beardomorph

Quote from: Protozoid on May 13, 2017, 04:03:14 PM
Yet it is called "Alien: Covenant," not "Robot: Covenant" and the artificiality of the Fassbenderr characters was downplayed in all adverts. This was marketed as an Alien prequel. You are thinking of Prometheus, which was unfairly maligned for not being Alieny enough despite being about the origins and future of humankind and artificial intelligence.

Someone who is professionally reviewing movies knows better than to let the title and marketing influence his view of the movie. It could be called SPATULA : Covenant, it'd still be the same film. It's only titled Alien : Covenant and not Covenant because the general audience was generally disappointed by Prometheus for not being an Alien movie, but anybody who has seen the movie can say that the Alien is not what it's about.

Protozoid

Quote from: Beardomorph on May 13, 2017, 04:06:05 PM

Someone who is professionally reviewing movies knows better than to let the title and marketing influence his view of the movie. It could be called SPATULA : Covenant, it'd still be the same film. It's only titled Alien : Covenant and not Covenant because the general audience was generally disappointed by Prometheus for not being an Alien movie, but anybody who has seen the movie can say that the Alien is not what it's about.
Fox told Ridley to add aliens and change the title and the story to bridge to Alien. It doesn't get more Alien than that, dude. Sorry, but this is an Alien movie to its core.

Beardomorph

Have you seen the movie?

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Protozoid on May 13, 2017, 04:24:40 PM
Quote from: Beardomorph on May 13, 2017, 04:06:05 PM

Fox told Ridley to add aliens and change the title and the story to bridge to Alien. It doesn't get more Alien than that, dude. Sorry, but this is an Alien movie to its core.

I would really, really love to read Paglen's draft.

Protozoid

Protozoid

Quote from: Beardomorph on May 13, 2017, 04:27:38 PM
Have you seen the movie?
No, but that doesn't make a difference. This is called Alien, it has aliens, it is a direct prequel to Alien, and it has been heavily marketed as an Alien movie. Kermode would be daft to review it as anything else. You are thinking of Prometheus. That was harshly judged as an Alien movie despite not being one. Are you seriously arguing that this is an Alien movie in name only? Does anybojdy on this planet agree with that? Because I'm certain that the fi!makers themselves would be the first to tell you that you are wrong. You are even wrong about the story. David is only at the center because he creates the beast, and the creation of the classic beast is now the focus of the prequels. Alien to the core.

Beardomorph

Quote from: Protozoid on May 13, 2017, 04:35:06 PM
Quote from: Beardomorph on May 13, 2017, 04:27:38 PM
Have you seen the movie?
No, but that doesn't make a difference.

Actually it does. We're discussing something you know nothing about, which is pointless.

echobbase79

For some reason this makes me happy. I'm reminded of Heart of Darkness meets Frankenstein. Two of my favorite books.

Btw, did you like the movie Beardomorph?

Beardomorph

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 13, 2017, 04:53:19 PM

For some reason this makes me happy. I'm reminded of Heart of Darkness meets Frankenstein. Two of my favorite books.

Btw, did you like the movie Beardomorph?

The Horror!  ;D

I still have to leave my fan review up there, I'm waiting to see the movie a second time before posting it. But yeah, I really enjoyed it and there wasn't one noise in the theatre for the whole running time ( except laughter for one specific line ;D ). People were really taken by the movie. The best thing you could say about Covenant is that it's never boring, the two hours went by very quickly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed