Introducing Walter, Alien: Covenant's New Synthetic

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2016, 10:29:12 PM

Author
Introducing Walter, Alien: Covenant's New Synthetic (Read 49,526 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have known for some time that Michael Fassbender would be portraying two synthetic characters in Alien: Covenant. One would be David from Prometheus, the other would be a brand new David-model synthetic who is part of the Covenant’s crew. Other than that we’ve had no real details on this new David android.

We now know Alien: Covenant new android character will be named Walter. Michael Fassbender divulged the tidbit in an interview in the latest edition of The Irish Times. Beware minor spoilers.

“I am allowed to say I am playing two robots – Walter and David. I think what’s great about it is that Ridley has gone back to the original DNA of Alien, the horror element of that. But is also has the scope and the scale of Prometheus. Ridley has cut it already. He is a machine. He is an incredible human being and he was in such good form. He is such an imaginative and mischievous figure.”

Alien vs. Predator Galaxy can also also tell you that Walter is not a fan of David. Walter is a more advanced and up-to-date version of the David model. He is distrustful of David 8 because the older model has gone without any form of maintenance or upgrades during the ten year interval he has been in isolation between the Prometheus incident and the Covenant crew making landfall on the supposed paradise planet that Alien: Covenant takes place on.

Michael Fassbender as the Covenant's synthetic, Walter.

Michael Fassbender as the Covenant’s synthetic, Walter.

The name Walter is an obvious break in the traditional naming pattern of the Alien film’s synthetic characters – (A)sh, (B)ishop, (C)all and (D)avid. Like us, I’m sure many of you were expecting something along the lines of Edward.

Fassbender also reiterates what he and his fellow cast members have been saying about the film, that it is a horror film with a bigger scope. He also mentions that Ridley Scott has already completed a cut of Alien: Covenant. Thanks to crazybooklady (via Twitter) for the news!

Stick with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for even more exclusive information on Alien: Covenant! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!

Alienon

Alienon

So, mb David will kill Walter? Or use Black Goo and morphing Walter in alien? Walter is first alien? :o

Infected

Wow ten years has passed since Prometheus and David is active all that time, possibly on that planet.....damn!
That almost indicates in my head that Shaw will be shown in flashbacks.
And Walter obviously being the smarter softer version against David the most evil synthetic ever!!
Besides the new aliens and the story this is one big thing to look forward to!!

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Oh I'm so relieved he doesn't have an E name. Would've been too obvious and cute.

I wish his name was David too, though. Lindelof talked about how a David is like an iPod, and with the David commercials and all, that implies that there are thousands of Davids. So we get a new robot that looks like David but is named... Walter.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Though bit of a stretch could the name be a reference tribute to Walter Hill one of the producers of the Alien series? Come to think of it does that mean David was named after producer David Giller?

BonesawT101

Thanks for the news Hicks!

whiterabbit

haha Walter, that's a meth heads name. :P

Damn this keeps getting better and better. The goody two-shoes David08 model named Walter vs the out of date prodigal son, David Weyland. This is like Win10 vs WinXP. Damn that is going to be awesome.

Pvt. Himmel

Morose

As far as the whole David being something like an iPod is very reasonable in this universe. Maybe the reason why this android is called Walter is because the crew and him share a friendlier relationship. Thus instead of calling him by his code name, they (or him) chose another one.

It would be interesting if the two Davids confronted each other and had a fight. One arguing for the good of humanity and the other arguing against it.

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: Morose on Oct 31, 2016, 12:54:47 AM
As far as the whole David being something like an iPod is very reasonable in this universe. Maybe the reason why this android is called Walter is because the crew and him share a friendlier relationship. Thus instead of calling him by his code name, they (or him) chose another one.

It would be interesting if the two Davids confronted each other and had a fight. One arguing for the good of humanity and the other arguing against it.

There is a stunt performer for Fassbender.... Good indication the two will have it out.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 30, 2016, 10:29:12 PM
during the ten year interval he has been in isolation

A form of... Alien isolation... If you will.

Spoiler
[close]

Rankles75

Tough to choose who'd win in a fight between the two, but I think David's just a head...  8)

Protozoid

Maybe, like Alien 1 and 4, there will be a surprise robot. Watch out for crewmembers whose names begin with 'E'!

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 31, 2016, 02:29:04 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 30, 2016, 10:29:12 PM
during the ten year interval he has been in isolation

A form of... Alien isolation... If you will.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Kronnang_Dunn

I hoped he would be called Evan... ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed