AXP Visit Hydraulx

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 06, 2008, 11:45:28 PM

Author
AXP Visit Hydraulx (Read 14,720 times)

Rob - - - - - - ski

Rob - - - - - - ski

Sorry about that.  I was quoting on the dumber fans that think that gore, violence, pain, sex is more important than the characters that present it on screen in the first place.   When I watch Alien, Aliens, and Alien3 the sets wowed me more than any presence of gore. The atmosphere was perfect. The characters were written so that you see someone with a spirit get killed, not a product that spills out red paint, aka blood.

Slugworth

Slugworth

I thought this was a great interview and I admire Colin for being so open about the politics of making a film. This may be wishful thinking, but it looks to me that we might have a greater chance at seeing AVP-3 than we expected.   I wouldn't mind the Strauses involvement on a third one, since it sounds like they won't make any compromises this time. They definitely have passion.  I think with a better script, and with the experience they got from making avp-r, a great AvP still could happen by the Brothers.   Lets just hope avp-r continues to make a little more money in DVD sales, and maybe Fox will give in.

konradski

konradski

ha ha ha since when has renting battersea powerstation and melting plastic around the structure inside amounted to millions oh and they got the old alien floor grating from the first film back cos the bloke who had it couldnt shift it(english term as in sell it on or use it)and they only had four suits theres a pic i got somewere . that on the still u can see the black cat suit with the prosthetic over the top but only if your looking for it/notice it  apart from that its very effective when , as we saw in the movie and its animated wit the bloke inside

Predhunter

Predhunter

Well, for the Brothers this was their first movie directing... They needed to know how it really felt like, making the movie and listening to all the critics. And i must say they face their critics very well, showing will to learn from their mistakes.   Has we all suspected, the budget had a main role in script quality, as well as quality of acting. Good actors cost money and so does sets.   As for FOX i hope they have learned something out of this too and on the next AvP movie maybe they´ll make up for their mistakes. Because if it is a money problem, the two last movies performance speak for themselfs...

dachande89

dachande89

Do u actually believe FOX will learn anything? Cause I highly doubt that they will change anyhing at all in the way they make movies. And the movies we love will suffer for it. Damn bastards.

Slugworth

Slugworth

To Yuck from #20.. because the people you have to hire to construct these beautiful sets are aware of the hurdles that they have to jump through in order to make a studio picture... especially with FOX.   With years of inflation and high demand, that's why it's so expensive to hire the right people nowadays.  Fortunately the Brothers dabble in visual effects too, that's what makes them such affordable candidates for both direction and effects.

Bio Mech Hunter

Bio Mech Hunter

Fox hasn't learned a thing in the past 20 something years of screwing over fans, what makes anyone certain they're going to change all of a sudden? They care more about the bottom dollar than the fans to the point of heavily sacrificing quality and shear potential.  Also, I personally hope the Strause Bros. don't return for a 3rd AVP installment. Their views, expressed opinions, and pure lack of knowledge has proven to be a major detriment to the AVP universe. I admire them for being such passionate and honest fans, but honestly, that's not hard to come by. It seems they understand squat about what made the classics so great. That, and the Aliens and Predators themselves.   ::)  

Bio Mech Hunter

Bio Mech Hunter

The abounding ignorance that people seem to have in believing AVP:R was better than the first film because it had lots of gore (an overly excessive, in-your-face amount, IMHO) is simply astounding. That, and how oblivious they are that canon has almost been completely thrown out the window. Both species were so heavily slanted, it was rediculous.  The first film had plenty of gore... for Preds and Aliens, and I agree there should've been a more realistic amount human gore. Just not the border-line stupid amount the Strause Bros. inserted in AVP:R. It's as if they were trying too hard to differentiate their film from the first (in addition to several other elements).  Overall, I feel AVP was much more faithful and respectful to both the franchises and the creatures and was just a better quality film than AVP:R. I'd sooner have Fox bring back Paul than Greg and Colin.  It's funny how some fans will try to justify the disappointing final theatrical cut of AVP:R by bringing to attention the many scenes that were edited, not filmed, or finished, (which really are good points, but...) while simultaneously ignoring the large amount of footage that was edited, not filmed, or finished for AVP. Then, to top it off, they pour on the "AVP hate".   ::)     :D  

Slugworth

Slugworth

Bio Mech Hunter... I think you're making too many comparisons. I understand that the quality of the first AVP was better, but even Paul Anderson took what was canon and completely demystified it.  He also had 20 million more dollars to work with. And the actual minutes of Alien vs Predator action was barely ten minutes in AVP  I respect that story line enough, but I wasnt left satisfied. Since AVP-R literally takes place where the other left off, I look at it as the second act of three-act saga... and I want my third act. Or else I won't be happy either.  I appreciate the Brothers giving us more A LOT more on-screen action... and I don NOT think they personally took what was canon and screwed it up. I really can't think of anything they tampered with that wasn't already screwed up in the comics or the first movie. I also enjoyed the gore, I thought it was all done in good taste in accordance to the vibe of AVP. The store and hospital scenes were the goriest in the movie, and I thought they were great (whether the actors were good or not).  I personally don't think they have to stay true to the tone of originals if they dont want to. Remember,  AVP came about as a comic, one of the goriest comics at that time... and it spawned a few equally gory video games...      cont'd

Slugworth

Slugworth

... AVP-R worked well in it's own right, but comparing the quality of the 8th film to the originals is silly at this point. Remember there's a lot more people that have a greater influence in the story than the Brothers had. That much is for sure. We all know FOX is an evil corporation. but they don't necessarily IGNORE what the fans want, they just don't get it exactly how we want it.    Hell, the only people that keep giving FOX money are the hardcore fans. They wouldn't have brought this franchise to the big screen if there wasn't such a high demand from the fans. They get their money in the end,  so let the fans have what they want... and that's sad, I know.

Shouldercannon

Shouldercannon

I hate to break this to you all, but the reality yes,  the bottomline is what matter to Fox, just like any other studios, they , they are in it to make $$$. Typically as a business venture they want to maxmize their return and minimizing their cost, hence the low budget and the non sci-fi earth setting. If you want a higher budger, you must convince Fox that it is justify by a higher expected return. This is the cold hard reality that you all fans must face.

nudzi

nudzi

Shoulder Cannon... Not all of us are complete morons.    ;)  

Shouldercannon

Shouldercannon

Sorry nudzi, I wasn't meant to be patronizing, but a couple  of the comments here are utterly retarded (not you, you and most  most of the posters are fine), so I need to be clear with those few people and remind them of how things work in the real world so they know from what angle they need to approch Fox in hoping for a better AVP or standalone film.

freshbreath3

freshbreath3

Rob - - - - - - ski  I am not dumb  avp did suck because two predators were killed by the same alien drone. that pissed me off.  why would directors put sex on avp that's not a good time on that event.  I thought gore and violence would make avpr better.  but it sort of   but it was still good  except they didn't bring the alien dogs for ALIEN 3.  and they should put more aliens.   they should add this scene: when the power turned out those who were evacuating: the aliens go on top of their cars and start making car crash and aliens killing the males and the aliens taking the females to the predalien.  what do you think of my opinion Rob - - - - - - ski

Bio Mech Hunter

Bio Mech Hunter

@Slugworth, I wasn't making any comparisons to the classics, only stating that the Brothers Strause don't seem to understand the finer points of what made them so epic. I was making a comparison to the first film, however.  Regarding the battles in AVP, I was disappointed there weren't as many as we had thought (although I felt they were well executed for the most part), but to be fair there were a few more battle sequences omitted from the final cut thanks to Fox's meddling. It would be nice, if they went back and recut and fixed up the film the way it was originally intended. But good luck with that.  The comics and novels are a major turn off for myself and a bunch of people I know. It's not the concept (I've always loved pitting these two awesome creatures against eachother), it's the execution. The majority of stories are great, but the way their played out and the way both species are portrayed are heavily skewed.  I can't see how you can call the excessive gore in AVP:R, even remotely, tasteful. Of course, AVP's vibe should be dark and violent, but not over the top. Also, I can't see how you can think Anderson screwed with canon, and the Strause bros. didn't? At all?  I completely agree with your comments regarding Fox, though. They don't completely ignore the fans, they just have a way of half-assing their efforts to maximize their profits. Essentially, hyping up the fans then screwing them over with major disappointment.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed