Your Film Criteria And Tastes

Started by Huggs, Mar 04, 2019, 11:29:29 PM

Author
Your Film Criteria And Tastes (Read 330 times)

Huggs

Huggs

How's your film life? Has it changed?

What do you look for in a good movie? Is it music? Narrative?

Are you a collector? A connoisseur? Perhaps theaters only?

Do you think there was a peak era for filmmaking?

How do you see your film life in 10 years?

Join me as we answer these questions and more.

But there is no real outline.  ;) Speak freely and discuss.

I personally, was raised primarily on classical films. Movies such as The Searchers, Judgment at Nuremburg, North by Northwest, etc. During my youth I became transfixed by big blockbusters like Independence day, Armageddon, and Twister. This phase lasted for quite sometime, and likely was the reason I became so infatuated with Aliens 86 during that period of my life.

I'd definitely say I still maintain a healthy appreciation for that style of film, but my tastes have indeed changed over the years. Movies like Blade Runner seemed painfully slow and in some cases weird when I was younger, but I've really latched onto the slow burn narrative.

The overall style and quality of the films I watch has definitely changed as well. For several years, I'd watch just about anything, including low budget horror. The only exceptions were romantic comedies, and modern comedy. The latter of which I simply cannot understand. It all just seems so crude and pointless. Perhaps I'm too stuck in slapstick mode with comedies featuring Peter Sellers or Leslie Nielson, Chris Farley, etc.

But, my tastes have indeed changed significantly over the last year. I'm preferring my entertainment to be more cerebral, such as Blade Runner 2049 and the Hannibal television series along with programs like West World. I still appreciate louder entertainment, but it has to be grossly overdone to get my attention. Very large scale attracts my notice, especially with monsters. So films like Godzilla and Clash of the Titans are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

I'm a Blu-ray man specifically now, but I allow room for films where there has not been a transfer from dvd yet. I'm not likely to embrace 4k at this point. I've given up on the theater, as well. The experience has become rather poor in my area, what with the cellphone usage, screaming children and poor maintenance of the equipment.

I do believe I'm slowly transitioning to a mentality where I prefer only the critical films. That is, films that hold and exhibit some larger measure of artistic value or significance. Such as Ben Hur, Alien, 2001, as well as modern classics such as Road To Perdition, Blade Runner 2049, etc. Granted, I will still maintain room for fun experiences, but not to the extent of when I was younger, and would watch anything from the discount bin.

Baron Von Marlon

Always liked comedy the most. That got me into horror-comedies, which got me into horror, which got me into "unusual" movies.

Overal I prefer R-Rated movies. It's more realistic. The right amount of swearing and blood can really improve a movie.
I'm so tired of sterilised, watered down flicks. Besides the occasional mindless blockbuster, I barely watch non R-Rated movies any more.

At this point I'll watch anything that contains enough elements of interest, no matter the budget or language of the movie.

TC

TC

I can watch pretty much anything in terms of genre, as long as the story and the storytelling is good. This can be a dangerous thing; many a time I've walked past the TV and been distracted by a particular scene, sat down to see what happens next and... well, you know the rest. If the story is sci-fi or fantasy or has some other heightened visual quality it doesn't even have to be good. Curses! (Nothing leads to greater self-loathing than the waste of my own time! )

The theatre-going experience no longer has the same appeal. The movie really needs to be big on spectacle to get me out there. I'll probably see Alita Battle Angel in the theatre for that reason; no one knows stereoscopic 3D like Cameron and Rodriguez, and I don't have a 3D TV at home.

TC

Predwars24

Predwars24

Well let's see here. I'm into lots of things honestly. I'm just going to make a long drawn out forum post though to help with my answer as there is a lot in my taste for a film.

Genre: I feel this is hugely important so to help out with this I'm going to list down genre's and put movies that fit into said Genre in there.

Action:
Total Recall
Bumblebee
Avengers movies (My favorites being the avengers movies themselves)
Kingsman
Godzilla Heisei series.
Godzilla Final Wars
Godzilla 2014
King Kong 2005
Kong Skull Island
Terminator Films (3 is a maybe it has good moments just IDK I'm just not too fond of it)
Jurassic Park Franchise (Even 3)
Edge of Tomorrow
Oblivion
Aliens
Predator Films (Besides The Predator)
Pacific Rim Films
Independence Day Films
Expendables Films

Adventure:
Ready Player One
Back to the Future
Goonies

Horror/Thriller:
Alien
Alien 3
Alien Covenant (Besides the actual story I enjoyed the xenomorph bits of course)
Nightmare on Elm Street series (Remake maybe)
Halloween
Halloween 2
Halloween H20
Halloween 2018
Friday the 13th (Besides Jason goes to hell and maybe remake)
John Carpenters The Thing
The Lost Boys

Animated Films:
Incredibles Films
Wall-E
Dinosaur (2000)
Transformers The Movies 1986 (Though I don't like the use of the 80's music but of course it's from that era so whatever)
Kung Fu Panda Series
How to Train Your Dragon (Haven't seen 3 yet)
Lego Movies (Only seen the first one)
Big Hero 6

Musicals:
Oklahoma!
Pitch Perfect (Only seen the first but I liked it so)
Into the Woods
Little Shop of Horrors

Comedies:
This is the End
Your Highness
The Worlds End
Epic Movie
Disaster Movie
Meet the Spartans
Bench warmers
The Starving Games
Vampires Suck
Superhero Movie
Spaceballs

This is all just a small list of what I enjoy and have seen, so if you like a movie and it's not on here, I may have just not seen it. (Or I forgot them all together or in the case of Tremors films and Attack the Block had no idea where to put those)

What I like in a movie: Movies tell us unique and interesting stories, I want stories that are not possible in our actual life, there are movies in my list like Pitch Perfect that are completely possible but for the most part movies I tend to watch are about alien life forms or a killer with strange abilities like going into peoples dreams. I also like characters that I can feel a connection with, sure the story itself can't happen but the characters should feel like real life people, I shouldn't feel like they just don't seem like actual people if that makes any sense. Finally I also look for some awesome action, it's where a lot of these movies are from, action packed and destructive. It's why I have guilty pleasures like the first five Transformers movies or Independence Day Resurgence, because I love the unlimited amount of destruction in those movies.

Overall thoughts on a movie: Really as long as it keeps me entertained or invested into the story and characters then you've got me, if it doesn't make me cringe or facepalm with ridiculous ideas or story points (The Predator for example) Great. If it's a sequel to a franchise and does a good job of continuing the story in a way that doesn't bother me Great. It just gets many extra pointers if it makes me feel for a character and makes me feel connected like Bumblebee from 2018 gave me a connection to Charlie Watson, a character who feels alone after such a tragedy and feels like nobody gets her, and having Bumblebee as a character that listens to her and tries to help her with her problems (Another great example of this is Big Hero 6 with Hiro and Baymax).  That's just my take and your welcome.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed