Inspiring Terror, Interview With Aliens vs. Predator 2 Developer Nathan Cheever – AvP Galaxy Podcast #100

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 13, 2020, 06:36:48 AM

Author
Inspiring Terror, Interview With Aliens vs. Predator 2 Developer Nathan Cheever – AvP Galaxy Podcast #100 (Read 9,953 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 100th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Our first episode of 2020 sees us hit the bit 1-0-0 milestone! For our 100th episode we wanted to do something a little special that focused on our own history so we tracked down Nathan Cheever, a developer who worked on Monolith Production’s Aliens vs. Predator 2!

AvP2 is the reason this website exists and was a huge focus on both mine and RidgeTop’s teenage years, and we couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate this milestone episode than by chatting to someone who worked on the game!

Special thanks to Barry Daniels for finding this particular promotional artwork!

We discuss how the current gaming landscape at the time influenced the game, how Monolith’s No-one Lives Forever made certain elements possible in AvP2, the Lance Henriksen cameo that never happened, and plenty more!

The Flash version of the Leading Edge boardgame that we mention in the podcast can be found over at Newgrounds. You can also check out the Facebook group I mentioned that is dedicated to the game here. You can find out more about Nathan by heading to his website, or following him on Twitter.

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes, PodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, YouTube and now Spotify! Please be sure to leave a review on whichever platform you're using!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Samhain13

Samhain13

Finally.  ;D

Nice AVP2 music at the start.

At the end too. Haha.

Always nice to learn something about AVP2.

The Cruentus

Great interview. Its cool that he wasn't just a dev but someone who enjoyed the franchise and played other alien games as well.

The Suffering is a damn good game, the sequel was called Suffering: the ties that bind.

TheSailingRabbit

No matter how many times I think about it, the mental image of Gorman/Waits standing in a recording booth and making Predator noises into a microphone makes me laugh.

I just have to not think about it when eating or drinking.

Anyways, happy 100th podcast. You guys should be proud of yourselves for coming this far. I've only been around for a teensy part of the journey so far, but the ride has been fun, so I'll be around for the 150th, 200th podcasts when they come around.

. . .

Mark Rolston next?

dinosauriac

I remember playing the demo for AVP2 that came with the Predator DVD back in the day and being instantly hooked. Really wish whatever is holding up a re-release would get resolved, would be a nice way to celebrate its upcoming 20th anniversary.

Thinking back to when it originally was made, Half-Life was barely a year or so old when it was in production, and FPS games were still sometimes referred to as Doom clones. Loved hearing about how Lithtech played into development and hints as to "where are they now". Great interview!

Voodoo Magic

MichaelMichera

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: dinosauriac on Jan 13, 2020, 04:03:42 PM
I remember playing the demo for AVP2 that came with the Predator DVD back in the day and being instantly hooked. Really wish whatever is holding up a re-release would get resolved, would be a nice way to celebrate its upcoming 20th anniversary.

If I remember rightly that's was Darkness' first taste of the game too! My Dad had the demo from a PC gaming magazine, I think. That was where I played it!

The Old One

The Old One

I listened to this while playing part of the SP and mostly Multiplayer in glorious 4K, truly great podcast, partially glad the Michael Bishop thing didn't go through as I really enjoy Eisenberg and Rykov.

AVP-CAPCOM

Excellent podcast.

I could tell the Monolith team were starting with ALIENS (1986) and adding in the lore from PREDATOR 1&2.

If there were ever a live-action ALIENS VS PREDATOR movie the production design and setting from this PC game would've been perfect. I'm not talking AVP (2004).

Interesting how 20th century flip flopped betwen Rebellion and Monolith.

The Old One

The Old One

A lot of stuff from Alien, Aliens and Alien³ also, such as the Drone/Warrior and Runner distinction, Marines and Prisoners, and Michael Bishop almost showed up but does rate a mention but I don't grasp your meaning as Monolith only got one go?

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 14, 2020, 08:38:54 AMI listened to this while playing part of the SP and mostly Multiplayer in glorious 4K, truly great podcast, partially glad the Michael Bishop thing didn't go through as I really enjoy Eisenberg and Rykov.

How can a game from 2002 be in 4k?

Yes Eisenberg and Rykov had elements of the cold war subplot from the abandoned Wiliam Gibson ALIEN 3 script. Wonder if that was intentional or whether foreign accent = evil troupe.

We got Michael Bishop back in ALIENS VS PREDATOR (2010). Again would mind seeing that adapted into a movie either.

The Cruentus

Monolith only made one AVP game as far as I recall.

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 14, 2020, 03:34:18 PMBut Monolith only got one go?

That's because they were working on No One Lives Forever- Spy in H.A.R.M.S. Way.

Also Monolith or Lithtec didn't get the recognition of its game engine in the same way as Unreal 4, Source, CryTek etc.

This guy interviewed did hint about needing more graphical designers willing to expand the engine and graphics.

Could explain why Predator- Hunting grounds people are dissing the graphics despite gameplay over graphics. I'd rather play the 2002 Lithtec Game multiplayer than the (2010) version. Also Hunting Grounds has some Lithtec talent working on it so expect more fun from that.

The Old One

The Old One

No, that's not Michael Bishop in AVP 2010 that's Karl Bishop Weyland, with the memories of Charles Bishop Weyland. AVP 2010 is clearly a part of the AVP/AVPR continuity/canon for that reason.

Michael Bishop is human in 2000/Monolith's AVP, the W-Y Report and Alien The RPG's continuity/canon so none of that (AVP/AVPR/AVP2010) happened in the current continuity/canon.

AVP 1999's Odobenus Station is also within the book, hoping a LV-1201 reference is also in it somewhere and a LV-742 reference is also in it somewhere. Also just using the Master Server Patch allows for 4K options, or manual editing likely if you wish.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed