Started by felix, Oct 09, 2021, 10:26:43 PM

Author
Alien - Colony War (Read 45,456 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Maybe Amanda is Turk's grandma.

SiL

SiL

Turk is actually Chad's great nephew looking for his great uncle.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

There's always the whole "BuRkE wAs LyInG" fallback that so many seem fond of employing.

SiL

SiL

Anything's possible if your arse is a cavernous reserve of excuses from which to pull explanations!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

That was the Creative Assembly line when everyone went "waitaminute". There's never going to be any escaping that. In my head, it's just that Burke had some sanitized information, or that the Company just did what my experience of big companies does, and it just got lost.

SiL

SiL

Right but again The Company doesn't, like, control the universe. The first three films are pretty clear on this.

It was a good game, though.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

But Amanda being picked up at the end of the game doesn't necessarily mean the whole venture is public knowledge that Ripley could have easily found. The station was locked down, so we don't know how many - if any - people with knowledge of the Alien actually left Sevestapol before it crashed and burned. I'm sure its destruction was known about - the details, probably not.

SiL

SiL

If we imagine a grand conspiracy to keep it quiet, sure.

But it doesn't make sense even if it's secret, withheld information. The Company sweeping SO937 under the rug when it resulted in a mysterious loss of crew and ship is one thing. Having testimony from someone that something's out there and they sit on it? Burke, of all people, is the only one opportunistically investigating?

It's a lot of hoop jumping to justify a story that never really needed to exist. I know you can say that about any EU story but it's, like, bottom of the ladder just above Ripley's hypersleep interruption.

Yes, I will die on this hill.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Oct 14, 2021, 09:14:04 AM
But it doesn't make sense even if it's secret, withheld information. The Company sweeping SO937 under the rug when it resulted in a mysterious loss of crew and ship is one thing. Having testimony from someone that something's out there and they sit on it? Burke, of all people, is the only one opportunistically investigating?

I continually say this and this is also a hill I will die on. You can never truly appreciate how realistic these seemingly stupid things are until you work for a huge global company with fingers in many pies where you see this kind of stupidity on a regular basis. One person can make all the difference. People's naming of documents on file shares can suddenly mean an important document is just lost. Like that. Multiple projects doing the same things, completely unaware of each other. It's not malicious. It's just incompetency. And you gotta be incompetent to rise in the ranks.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

You should try working for the government!

Also I see there is a lot dying on hills going on, so someone remind me to stay away from those hills.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 14, 2021, 09:44:54 AMIt's not malicious. It's just incompetency. And you gotta be incompetent to rise in the ranks.
The number of times this would need to happen with how the Amanda storyline plays out for all of it to be gone by the time Ripley gets back would indicate a level of incompetence that would render the company completely nonfunctioning. We're not talking people in different offices working on redundant projects, we're talking space stations, colonies, thousands of staff. They'd go bankrupt.

Kradan

Kradan

In regards to '"Burke was lying" - it never seemed to me like he was in the higher-ups category, amongst people with acess to company's top secret information. He probably wasn't lying - just passing information he knew to Ripley, information he was allowed to know

Sounds retcony ? Sure, but it's not impossible

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Another old favorite is "BuRkE fAlSiFiEd ThOsE dOcUmEnTs!!1!"  So everything including the photo was just Burke being a lying liar who lies about everything.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Wait wasn't that your theory Local? :laugh:

Samhain13

Samhain13

But will it be possible to reach consensus on this matter?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed