In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Aug 29, 2019, 09:56:05 AM

Author
In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise? (Read 33,838 times)

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 01, 2019, 11:46:38 PM
Quote from: Highland on Dec 01, 2019, 10:21:13 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 01, 2019, 07:40:32 PM
Nobody believed Ripley.  Burked only took a shot in the dark just to see if she was legit or not.   

They still went in with Smart guns and nukes though...

Could be SOP whenever there's a loss of contact between a colony and the network.

SM?

They didn't 'go in with nukes'.

SGs would be SOP if there's a xenomorph involved.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 02, 2019, 12:47:10 AM
Ridley hasn't even seen it. :D

I don't even know if he's seen Resurrection, to be honest. He seems to have implied seeing Alien 3 at some point by mentioning that one took place in a prison, or something. :P

I'm not sure Ridley's seen anything outside of his own films. What with Aliens using CG and all...

Voodoo Magic

I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley has seen them all including AvP.  Saying you haven't allows you to plead ignorance and subsequently avoid ripping your fellow filmakers after being boxed in by follow-up questions. Most of us eventually learn that if you have nothing nice to say...  :)   Also not nice things can take on a life of its own these days.

Of course, we all know Damon Lindelof knows AvP pretty well when he raised the concern that Prometheus was contradicting AvP, which was followed by an icy Riddles death stare.  :laugh:

Kimarhi

Quote from: Highland on Dec 01, 2019, 10:21:13 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 01, 2019, 07:40:32 PM
Nobody believed Ripley.  Burked only took a shot in the dark just to see if she was legit or not.   

They still went in with Smart guns and nukes though...

Smart guns would just be the future equivalent of the automatic rifleman.   In the Army only two people per squad used to carry automatic rifles, and that would've been your saw gunner, as the M4s used to be only semi auto.

Presently most frontline units have m4a1, so technically everybody has full auto capability, but the SAW and the Smartgun would have higher rates of fires, and with the bipod/tripod the m249 uses and the chest harness the smartgun uses, they would be able to control those higher rates of fires better than the standard rifleman would with the m4a1............and the m41a.

Nukes all seemed to be under lock and key aboard the Sulaco. 

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Dec 02, 2019, 08:31:07 AM
SGs would be SOP if there's a xenomorph involved.

That makes sense if they're not expecting return fire.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 01, 2019, 03:09:21 AMThe only thing that I didn't find realistic was the smart gun.  A tracking weapon is a cool idea, but the way that it was positioned, if you couldn't go prone when incoming fire started up, then you would be a huge sitting duck.

This. It's cool as hell, but if you stop and think about it it's only ever struck me as something that would be really dumb in a situation where your enemy actually shoots back.

SM

Unless they're going up against another army as technically advanced as them, it's not really an issue.

JokersWarPig

Didn't the technical manual show how to fire it from a crouched and prone position?

SM

Yep.  Crouched worked okay, but firing while lying on your back looked very awkward.

HuDaFuK

Must be a load of Marines with no feet.

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Dec 02, 2019, 07:51:27 PMDidn't the technical manual show how to fire it from a crouched and prone position?

Yes, but good luck getting into that position quickly enough to avoid being shot.

Local Trouble

Snipers must love smartgunners.

SM

Assuming they aren't torn to shreds by IR aimed bullets while they're aiming.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I can't help but wonder how easy it would be to thwart a smartgun's IR targeting system by either masking one's body heat or by elevating the temperature of one's surroundings.

HuDaFuK

Or just throwing some incendiary grenades about.

There's also the notable goof that the Smartguns in Aliens and so many video games wouldn't actually be able to track the Aliens, because they have no IR signature - Predators can't see them with their normal sight and Dietrich looks right at one (whilst wondering aloud if they might not show up in infrared) just before the Hive ambush and doesn't see it.

You could argue in Aliens Vasquez and Drake are just spraying and praying rather than locking on, but in numerous video games at least the gun tracks Aliens flawlessly even though they should be invisible to it.

Local Trouble

I always just figured Drake and Vasquez were aiming the old-fashioned way.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed