How The Predator Will Solidify The Series' Complicated Continuity

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 18, 2016, 06:00:24 AM

Author
How The Predator Will Solidify The Series' Complicated Continuity (Read 41,824 times)

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Xan21 on Jul 04, 2016, 09:10:41 PM
But AVP movies don't exist in my book and neither in the original writers minds I think ;-)

Whether AvP's exist or not isn't really relevant here. The point is, Predators hunted in a cold environment once.   :P

I like the idea of them hunting in the hottest of summers, that has always been something I associated with them. It's what makes me love summer, because it reminds me of Predators sometimes, especially when it is scorching outside.

But I also like the idea of them hunting in cooler climates, as a reminder that "just because it's colder, doesn't mean you're safe."

BishopShouldGo

The last thing Shane cares about is the temperature. Trust me.

Nightlord

Not every pred has to be a clone of what came before, maybe the new isn't a fan of heat.

Master

I love heat and conflict trope, but that`s not most important thing. Still, it can be really hot summer in Vancouver right?

Personally I`d prefere desert. I`d love my Predator on the desert, but not jungle once again.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Nightlord on Jul 04, 2016, 10:24:34 PM
Not every pred has to be a clone of what came before, maybe the new isn't a fan of heat.

Exactly, we shouldn't stereotype them. They are a people with their own tastes and preferences.  :laugh:

Mister Skeezler

Just because they're shooting in Vancouver doesn't mean the film takes place in Vancouver. They could just be shooting interior scenes in Vancouver. Hell, the film could take place in NYC in the summer for all we know.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Mister Skeezler on Jul 05, 2016, 01:02:59 AM
Just because they're shooting in Vancouver doesn't mean the film takes place in Vancouver. They could just be shooting interior scenes in Vancouver. Hell, the film could take place in NYC in the summer for all we know.

That is a good point. It's as if we forgot CGI exists.  :P

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Jul 04, 2016, 09:04:29 PM
They prefer warm climates, but it's not a must. I wouldn't be surprised if their nets regulate heat to keep them warm in colder climates. We have ways to keep warm, why can't Predators who are also intelligent enough to do so?

I think I remember reading this in one of the novels. Can't recall which though?

Quote from: Nightlord on Jul 04, 2016, 10:24:34 PM

Exactly. People get different, they complain. People get the same, they complain it's not different.

Quote from: Mister Skeezler on Jul 05, 2016, 01:02:59 AM

Another spot-on. Vancouver has stood in for many locations over the years. It's not guaranteed to actually be set in Vancouver.

Quote from: Master on Jul 04, 2016, 10:29:40 PM
Personally I`d prefere desert. I`d love my Predator on the desert, but not jungle once again.

The same. I don't want another film set in the jungle. I wouldn't mind a desert, something Iraq or Middle East based. However, sounds to me like we're going to get a variety of locations this time around.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xan21 on Jul 04, 2016, 05:52:11 PMI know but something about the Predator ending up in a colder climate rubs me the wrong way. I admit when looking at photos of Vancouver forest, it's pretty nice...yet I prefer a warm/hot climate with conflict...

Who says it won't be set in a warm climate? Are they actually shooting on location in Vancouver or are they just using studio space there? Who's to say they won't be going on location somewhere else as well? With the kind of budget Black has implied, there's certainly a chance of that.

BishopShouldGo

I have a feeling we'll be getting some Washington D.C. action.

Predator_Spirit

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Jul 04, 2016, 09:04:29 PM
Quote from: Predator_Spirit on Jul 04, 2016, 08:10:08 PM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Jul 04, 2016, 07:01:14 PM
Quote from: Predator_Spirit on Jul 04, 2016, 06:51:42 PM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Jul 04, 2016, 05:20:55 PM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 04, 2016, 05:15:38 PM
The Predator movies shouldn't be defined by their location hahaha. We don't need a damn jungle.
Exactly, Predator can be set anywhere so long as there is good game to hunt.
The location must be warm.
They prefer warm locations. But it's not a must.

Anna : "Only in the hottest years this happens."
Keyes : "Drawn by heat..."

They prefer warm climates, but it's not a must.

According to cannon, it's not a preference.Only the hottest years, it must be more than warm.Predator 2 respected that because the heat was oppressive.I'm talking about hunting, not about Wolf the 'janitor' or the three fatties from AVP.Even the lame Predators got it right :D.
So they better respect that, and Vancouver don't mean it will be set in cold places of course.One could tell maybe it won't be a hunt party
but I don't get the point of doing that.The thrill of the hunt is essential.

Whiskeybrewer

I know its no longer canon, but dont forget, the Cold War comics, had them in Siberia. Sure it wasnt there plan, but they were there

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jul 06, 2016, 12:08:19 PM
I know its no longer canon, but dont forget, the Cold War comics, had them in Siberia. Sure it wasnt there plan, but they were there

Also South China Sea mentioned a previous hunt taking place on some icy wasteland.  :P

Corporal Hicks

To be honest I've nothing wrong with a Predator being taken outside its comfort zone. Where's the fun in not challenging themselves? It's not like the don't already have massive advantages. That's one of the things I did kind of like about AvP. It's an added challenge.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 06, 2016, 01:50:11 PM
To be honest I've nothing wrong with a Predator being taken outside its comfort zone. Where's the fun in not challenging themselves? It's not like the don't already have massive advantages. That's one of the things I did kind of like about AvP. It's an added challenge.

Exactly!

Predators aren't stupid, they know how to keep warm in cold environments. And some would certainly appreciate the added challenge a colder climate brings.

And even if they aren't keeping warm, it adds to their durability and toughness. They prefer warmth, but they can handle the uncomfortable cold, it shows dedication to hunting that one bastard who chose to live in a cold environment.

Who cares if by so called "canon", they've been hunting in warm climates. What stops them from going to a colder one? I'd still love to see them hunt in a desert, all that dust could make cloaking challenging. But I am not against a cold environment. I'm all for seeing Predators in new and interesting settings rather than have fifty films set in a scorching humid jungle... you can only tell so many stories in the same cycle before it gets repetitive and stale.

Predator as a franchise should never be afraid to try new things.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed