Expanded Universe

Started by Kenner_Alien_Kaste, Jul 12, 2019, 11:11:58 PM

What are your thoughts on the EU as a whole?

It's awesome
4 (10%)
It's mostly good
11 (27.5%)
It's got good and bad
22 (55%)
I don't like much of it
3 (7.5%)
I hate all of it
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author
Expanded Universe (Read 8,225 times)

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

YouTube videos? Virals/Short Films.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 14, 2019, 05:08:16 AM
I don't really hate any of them.  They were such a part of my growing up (most of them came out when I was a preteen-teen) that I have a huge soft spot for almost all of them. 

Even things like DOTS and Colonial Marines. 

I recognize their flaws but I'm much easier on the EU than the movies because I don't really look at them as effecting continuity with the movie series.   

I feel exactly the same. A lot of the EU has major flaws, but I still can appreciate them for what they offer. Definitely, I'm much more forgiving of the EU than the movies, without a shadow of a doubt  :laugh:

Quote from: SM on Jul 14, 2019, 05:17:22 AM
Quote from: Kenner_Alien_Kaste on Jul 14, 2019, 02:36:52 AM
Quote from: SM on Jul 14, 2019, 12:02:05 AM
How is she a Mary-Sue?

Well, personally for me it's the fact she's both an impeccably well put together hybrid of Android and Xenomorph, has very powerful abilities (control over Xenomorphs, can fend off Yautja and Marines and Rival Hives alike) and has next to no flaws. It just comes off as very overpowered and not in a good way.

A mix of Alien and android is always going to be powerful.  That doesn't scream Mary-Sue though.  I've always seen Mary-Sues as author inserts of characters that are far too perfect.  It just seems to be a catch-all term for 'female characters that are too powerful and I don't like them' these days.

Word.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

But isn't a mix of Alien and Android inherently a "My OC" kind of awful anyway?

Wysps

Wysps

In what ways do you think it's a ""My OC" kind of awful"? I mean, yeah the idea in and of itself is ridiculous (still entertaining for EU material, but ridiculous nonetheless, I'm not a fan of combining species) - but to me it doesn't inherently scream "Mary-Sue".

SM

SM

I didn't find it ridiculous at all.  There was a fictional pseudo scientific explanation in Purge that worked for me.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I dunno I always thought Purge was a fun story and character for a comic. Had great cover art.

I also didn't see her as controlling the aliens so much as leading them.

The Old One

The Old One

Yuck. No thank you. I never really enjoyed the sillier stuff, such as Eloise.
I prefer the EU when it's tonally similar to the film Anthology.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Yes and no.  I liked Stronghold even though it was nothing like the tone of any of the movies until Resurrection. 

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 18, 2019, 12:31:49 AM
Yuck. No thank you. I never really enjoyed the sillier stuff, such as Eloise.
I prefer the EU when it's tonally similar to the film Anthology.

I can understand Eloise being among the 'sillier stuff', but what else would qualify as 'Silly'. I'd imagine a lot of the excess Kenner Line for an example

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

I wouldnt say Eloise is a full on Mary-Sue because she's only be used sparingly and not in the wider context of what was the EU at the time.

If she'd appeared in a full on comic series and turned up to save the day then yes she would be. But she's there, escapes with her friends and the small hive she has and wants to be left alone

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I really like some stuff, and I really don't like some stuff.
Like some other people have said there's a bit more consistency in the new stuff and I like that.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jul 18, 2019, 01:06:20 PM
I wouldnt say Eloise is a full on Mary-Sue because she's only be used sparingly and not in the wider context of what was the EU at the time.

If she'd appeared in a full on comic series and turned up to save the day then yes she would be. But she's there, escapes with her friends and the small hive she has and wants to be left alone

That's fair-Maybe I have been a little too harsh on her as a character. It's definitely an interesting concept, and I never wanted to come across as 'My opinion is right and yours is wrong!'. I mean, heck, I like a lot of rather dumb stuff myself (ie my whole other thread)

The Old One

The Old One

I don't think it is interesting honestly, hybrids rarely are.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

So I just got one look at Eloise and went "uhhhhhh", yeah that tonally does not look right.

SM

SM

In what way is it tonally not right?  Every artist is going to bring their own style.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed