Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1044

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 492,813 times)

judge death

judge death

I would argue that pitch black is connected to the alien universe, it was even written as an alien movie from the start but changed after it fell through.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Certainly does. 😉
Certainly such a fiendishly uninventive reply. 😋

Anyway my favourite's Alien.
But since it's brought up:
Blade Runner (Final Cut 4K Edition)
Blade Runner 2049 (4K Edition)
Prometheus (4K Edition)
Alien Covenant (4K Edition)
Alien (4K Theatrical Edition)
Outland
Aliens (Theatrical Edition)
Alien³ (Special Edition)
Alien Resurrection (Either Edition)

But seriously much as I appreciate the connective tissue creatively between the aforementioned projects, I have long since preferred to see them as separate creative entities, otherwise where does it actually stop- Why not include OBSERVER and RUINER for example? Particularly the former with Rutger Hauer, his last performance in a cyberpunk genre piece, substantially influenced by Alien and definitely Blade Runner. That's just my thoughts on it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: judge death on Oct 23, 2021, 10:57:36 PM
I would argue that pitch black is connected to the alien universe, it was even written as an alien movie from the start but changed after it fell through.

It was?

Kradan

Kradan

Unless, you're being ironic about how obvious it is

Spoiler
David Twohy was responisble for one of unused Alien 3 drafts. Notably, it didn't had Ripley or any of Aliens characters as protagonist but instead a prisoner who served as a basis for the character of Riddick. There're similair elements,  but overall plot of that script is pretty diferent from Pitch Black
[close]

SiL

SiL

Pitch Black wasn't ever an Alien movie - it was a screen story by two brothers that Twohy changed as it developed into a film.

He did reuse his prison setup from his unused Alien 3 draft in Chronicles of Riddick though - the way the person is described, the guard dogs, even the escape is fairly similar

Kradan

Kradan

Huh. I always thought Twohy's draft just morphed into Pitch Black when he left Alien 3 production. Didn't know he was adapting someone's work

Fair enough, I guess. And sorry for my smugness, Corporal

SiL

SiL

There's some more about the genesis here.

judge death

judge death

Well in this video they go through it a bit in the start of the video, saying the script from the start was that a ship crashland on the planet with alien hive on it and as they try to escape from it. Which is pretty much what pitch black became but with different kind of monsters than xenos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc_VBdtJAhE&t=497s

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Oct 30, 2021, 08:00:56 PM
There's some more about the genesis here.

Thanks, that was a nice read  :)

I have one distinct memory about Coober Pedy - these were two words my uncle, who's like 6-7 older than me used to tease me with back when I was little

Oh, and these pretty things:

SiL

SiL

Quote from: judge death on Oct 30, 2021, 08:03:46 PM
Well in this video they go through it a bit in the start of the video, saying the script from the start was that a ship crashland on the planet with alien hive on it and as they try to escape from it. Which is pretty much what pitch black became but with different kind of monsters than xenos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc_VBdtJAhE&t=497s
They are mistaken.

EDIT

Watched what they say. It sounds like they never bothered to look into what Twohy's script actually was and just assumed it must've been similar.

Kradan

Kradan

SiL have spoken

happypred

happypred

I think what really elevates Aliens is the emotional core provided by Ripley and Newt (and Hicks to a lesser degree). To me, Aliens has the strongest emotional impact out of the franchise...I really feel Ripley's emotional anguish when she loses Newt (keeping in mind the aging and death of her biological daughter), before she resolves to make a rescue attempt into the hive. Ripley was already a great protagonist in the first film...I'd argue that Cameron's take on Ripley is arguably the most memorable, badass (but oh so skilfully humanized) heroine in cinema history.

Alien's strength is the cosmic dread and keeping the nature of the titular Alien (and the Pilot) very mysterious, very...alien, and one might say Lovecraftian. I'd argue that Cameron's take does not necessarily reduce the Aliens into giant space-ants, but that could be a more simplistic interpretation of Cameron's portrayal, and of course the Aliens and AvP EU really ran with the "bug" idea.

At the end of the day, it has to come down to Alien or Aliens. It's like comparing a good apple vs. a good orange. I'd give Aliens the edge based on its, in my view, superior emotional resonance and character relationships.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: happypred on Jan 29, 2022, 11:57:12 AM
I'd give Aliens the edge based on its, in my view, superior emotional resonance and character relationships.

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Still Alien (1979) theatrical cut for me. The film despite its age feels real to me, it messes with my head and nothing seems dated to me. No matter how many times I watch it I feel the dread, the terror, and the suspense equal to my first viewing.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

For most of my life I would have answered ALIENS. It's an excellent film, a rare film that is as strong as it's predecessor, a structurally brilliant film. There's almost nothing you can fault it on. But ...

But for me, really, it's ALIEN. It's a standalone film -- not "a franchise" -- about encountering something profoundly alien and strange and dangerous. Scott paints with the camera, shows a universe that's huge and unsettling and shows how small we are in it. It's scott and Ron Cobb and Giger and Moebius and all the other designers that just gave it energy and vision and life, and the ensemble cast is strong, and ... it's just brilliant.

I always think with this kind of survey, the real interesting question is not your favourite (I guessed ALIENS would top out the poll and then yeild declining returns before I voted) but which is your second favourite. I think then we'd have a really interesting distribution.

As for my second favourite, I'd pick the rather unloved Prometheus.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed