Aliens eat metals

Started by Drix, Sep 24, 2021, 04:59:55 PM

Author
Aliens eat metals (Read 4,252 times)

Drix

Drix

Heard before that Xenos can melt metals with acid saliva and lick it up/eat it, which I am all for since their growth rate makes no sense without some form of sustenance. It also explains their hard armoured steletons as well as how they can survive on an empty spaceship or barren planet.

Does everyone agree this is a cool explanation/reason?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'm cool with no explanation and them just growing/surviving the way they do because that's what they do to be perfectly honest.

Huggs

Huggs

I believe that's from the Jonesy story.

I don't care for it much myself. Covenant has already shown automatic growth in similar creatures.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I've always had a soft spot for some weird strain (modified?) of Alien that sheds spores which "eat" metals and plastics, growing into eggs.

At least I got spore pods in Covvie.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

I always liked the idea that Aliens possess multiple ways to feed and sustain themselves. To me they are living batteries - their acid blood is battery fluid and they need to be recharged. One way to do this is to hibernate next to a source that emits heat, radiation, static etc. For growth they obviously need nothing to grow, as the movies suggest. And if they are related to the Neomorphs, then it's confirmed - they just grow... It could be that that there is some hibernation osmosis involved here as well where they absorb or reconstruct matter for their bodies to feed on, or maybe it's just a way to grow chitinous armor. It could also be that when they hibernate the dorsal tubes both absorb matter and nutrients as well as spreading cystic spores that turn into hive growth. That could explain why the Runner arguable ate its victims and never seemed to start constructing its own hive - it had no dorsal tubes. Also, they're silicon-based lifeforms, so the idea that they can feed on non-organic materials to grow and sustain themselves isn't that outlandish, right?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Since someone can explain it on YouTube, I also prefer the mystery.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

I owned the ADVENTURE GAME ALIENS book back in 1991, and remember reading about how the creature's would feed on metals and dirt.

Thought the info was a load of sh*t at the time. Not so sure now.

I'm content not knowing every detail about their lives.

Kradan

Kradan

I definetly remember Alex White talking something along these lines in one of the interviews he did in aftermath of Cold Forge release

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 04, 2012, 09:09:19 PM
Given how acidic their blood is, I think they can eat and metabolize virtually anything.  Remember, they didn't appear to eat the dead hosts in Aliens.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 04, 2012, 09:23:56 PM
If they do eat, I think it's a lot like how Jeff Goldblum's Brundlefly does it.  Not sure how Prometheus enters into it.  The cobra thing had acidic blood too and could theoretically eat dirt to gain mass.

I've been saying this sort of thing since the 90s.  Probably because...

Quote from: Elmazalman on Sep 25, 2021, 11:45:18 AM
I owned the ADVENTURE GAME ALIENS book back in 1991, and remember reading about how the creature's would feed on metals and dirt.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/Aliens-RPG-Core-Rulebook.pdf

Page 97.

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

Yeh, but the Alien in Alien 3 was clearly munching on one of them prisoners. But i do think it's cool concept for it to eat and survive.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 25, 2021, 06:08:40 PM
Quote from: Elmazalman on Sep 25, 2021, 11:45:18 AM

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/Aliens-RPG-Core-Rulebook.pdf

Page 97.
It's page 87, not 97.

Thanks for the download link! I haven't seen the inside of this book in three decades. I remember the pretty colour spread (with Drake & the Alien).

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Inverse Effect on Sep 26, 2021, 12:36:40 AM
Yeh, but the Alien in Alien 3 was clearly munching on one of them prisoners. But i do think it's cool concept for it to eat and survive.

This is pretty clearly the intent but all we really see is mauling/mutilation.

Huggs

Huggs

It was definitely toying with them during the candle scene. And it was gnawing away on Dillon. It reached in and took a dead body near the end, so that was probably for nourishment.

Why it left Golic alone the first time was probably just for plot reasons, but maybe it had enough to eat on hand and couldn't be bothered to come down and chase after him. If he had stayed a few seconds longer, he probably would've been killed though.

I imagine it needs alot of sustenance to maintain that much power, plus secretions used for cocooning, hive building, etc.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I was only referring to the "eating", which was (visually) just mauling.

Other parts like the candles definitely give it a predatory/sadistic vibe but that's less about it's digestive process.

Huggs

Huggs

Thank goodness AVPR showed us the real deal.

Poor buggers must have a small esophagus.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed