Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series

Started by Ingwar, Oct 08, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series (Read 132,533 times)

Ingwar

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Ironically, the Raised by Wolves Winery is situated virtually right next to Cape Town Film Studios. As well as a few other of the worlds finest vineyards and winemakers. "Grueling shoot" my ass, it's going to be 9 months of fine wining and dining for Sir Ridley Scott!  :P

Ingwar

Ingwar

22 weeks of shooting! Its more than 5 months.

593 million South African Rand = 33.53 million British Pound.

QuoteThe director of Film Afrika Entertainment, Rudi Van As, said the dti's incentive was the life blood of the South African film industry.
Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies today commended the partnership of the film industry players and efforts aimed at contributing towards employment creation, enhancement of international profile and increasing the country's creative and technical skills base.

"In the period 2016/17, the film sector created a 6,029 full-time job equivalent and escalated to 9,423 for 2017/18. The South African films created the highest number of jobs at 6,334 whilst foreign films had the highest multiplier for investment," he said.

"During the past financial year, 99 film projects were approved, of which 22 were through the Foreign Film & Production and Post-Production Incentive, with projected investment of R2.2 billion and incentive of R468.5 million, this reflect our determination to realise the objective to encourage and attract large budget films and television production and post production work."

The partnership follows Davies' visit to three foreign films that were currently shooting at Cape Town Studios.

The department of trade and industry (dti) said an about R200 million incentive had been allocated for the three productions — Warrior Season 1, Warrior Season 2 and Raised by Wolves — visited by Davies.

The director of Film Afrika Entertainment, Rudi Van As, said the dti's incentive was the life blood of the South African film industry, which was one of the fastest growing economic sectors.

"We are delighted by the dti's acknowledgement of the huge contribution made by international television series to sustainable job creation in South Africa. The film industry looks forward to continued collaboration with the department in the evolution of an incentive programme which remains competitive," said Van As.

The production of Warrior Season 1 will spend more than R342 million in South Africa for production and post-production over nine weeks, while Warrior Season 2 will shoot over 20 weeks and is expected to spend more than R329 million inclusive of production and post-production.

The qualifying South African spend on production of Raised by Wolves, directed by Sir Ridley Scott, will be about R593 million, with a production shooting period of 22 weeks in 2019 and beyond on location in South Africa with the assistance of a South African company, Film Afrika Entertainment.

These three productions aimed to create 1,078 full-time jobs, as the sectors' jobs are seasonal.

Warrior Season 1 and 2 were produced by the American premier cable and satellite television network Home Box Office (HBO), which also produced Game of Thrones.

Raised by Wolves was produced by a British film and television company Scott Free Productions founded by brothers Sir Ridley Scott and Tony Scott.

Beginning of this month the dti undertook a mission to participate at the American Film Market (AFM) with the intention of introducing black film makers and other service providers in the value chain to the studios.

https://citizen.co.za/lifestyle/your-life-entertainment-your-life/2043982/trade-and-industry-department-partners-with-sa-film-industry/

There is a picture (somehow doesn't display here) inside the article with Scott and Rob Davies, minister of trade and industry of South Africa. Some interesting art designs on the wall.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Nice catch Ingwar, here's the picture.

Looks like it's set on a desert planet. Skeletons of huge lifeforms as well. Prometheus-like artwork on the far right as well.

Quote22 weeks of shooting! Its more than 5 months.

I wonder then if the 9 months previously reported included pre-production (usually around 3 months) as well?

Quote593 million South African Rand = 33.53 million British Pound.

So that is about $42 million USD. About the same budget as Dredd (which was also shot there). Not a huge amount but TV shows typically don't have huge budgets.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Thanks for fixing that picture 8th. It didn't want to display when I tried. Don't know why.

Article says that South Africa film industry spend R593 million (£33 or $42 million) but we don't know how much money TNT and Scott Free invested into the project (if they invested at all). It seems quite high for a TV series.

Those pictures definitely represent artwork from Wolves.
QuoteRaised by Wolves centers upon two androids tasked with raising human children on a mysterious virgin planet. As the burgeoning colony of humans threatens to be torn apart by religious differences the androids learn that controlling the beliefs of humans is a treacherous and difficult task.

I'm really intrigued by this.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 30, 2018, 10:11:24 PM
Thanks for fixing that picture 8th. It didn't want to display when I tried. Don't know why.

Didn't work for me either so I just took a screenshot and then uploaded it to Imgur.

QuoteArticle says that South Africa film industry spend R593 million (£33 or $42 million) but we don't know how much money TNT and Scott Free invested into the project (if they invested at all). It seems quite high for a TV series.

Well, if the SA government is giving 'em $42 million then it must have a really huge budget. They give rebates and incentives in proportion to the amount of money spent in the country.

I think WestWorld had a budget of about $100 million and apparently the most expensive television series ever made was Netflix's, The Crown at a cost of about $150 million.

QuoteThose pictures definitely represent artwork from Wolves.

Wonder if this could be the project Wayne Haag said he was working on for Scott.
Those pictures of the skeleton in the desert remind me of the Krayt Dragon carcass from Star Wars:

I also see some kind of sand/snow sleigh and various tools and a hatchet. And a little girl, either playing a flute or smoking a pipe. The backpack on the table with it's rolled-up sleeping mat is reminiscent of those from Alien: Covenant

bb-15

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 21, 2018, 05:29:37 PM
So I guess The Merlin Saga has either been cancelled or been seriously delayed.

I was afraid this would happen with Disney and Scott. Disney wants big hits (mostly through the MCU) while Ridley's movies have an uneven track record. Scott can make OK box office money ("Prometheus") or often just breaks even ("Covenant").
That's not enough it seems.

I hope Ridley's TV series does well.
- But as a fan of the Alien franchise, Scott not doing any Disney funded movie is not a good sign for a "Covenant" sequel.

:-\

Corporal Hicks

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Ah.. smart! Thanks Corpo!

I wonder what's up with that Mi-24 Hind cockpit? Maybe they'll turn it into a spaceship?

Quote from: bb-15 on Dec 01, 2018, 06:59:12 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 21, 2018, 05:29:37 PM
So I guess The Merlin Saga has either been cancelled or been seriously delayed.

I was afraid this would happen with Disney and Scott. Disney wants big hits (mostly through the MCU) while Ridley's movies have an uneven track record. Scott can make OK box office money ("Prometheus") or often just breaks even ("Covenant").
That's not enough it seems.

I hope Ridley's TV series does well.
- But as a fan of the Alien franchise, Scott not doing any Disney funded movie is not a good sign for a "Covenant" sequel.

:-\

So far this Raised by Wolves is looking more and more like a spiritual sequel to Covenant. I suspect we might well get an idea of where Covenant II might have gone with this. Of course this won't have any Aliens or characters from the Alien series but Scott wasn't interested in doing Xenomorphs again anyway. He only wants to focus on AI which he'll be doing with this new series.

Ingwar

I hope Scott isn't going to interfere too much with the script. It's Aaron Guzikowski's department. And I think that androids in this upcoming series are going to be good. It's us, humans, who are evil.

Immortan Jonesy

toro

i'm pretty sure that when he eventually dies, ridley scott will have his conscience merged with ai for the explicit purpose of creating more alien films to piss us off

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Alien Covenant's production designer, Chris Seagers to work on Alien Covenant II Raised by Wolves as well.

QuoteEXCLUSIVE: Ridley Scott's Sci-Fi Series 'Raised By Wolves' Hires Alien: Covenant' Production Designer Chris Seagers

https://twitter.com/HNEsocial/status/1074654631056302081

Immortan Jonesy

I have to admit it. This project is getting more and more interesting with each news. Hopefully, the final product deserves the journey.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Janty Yates, Prometheus and Alien: Covenant costume designer to work on Alien: Covenant II Raised by Wolves as well.

QuoteEXCLUSIVE: Ridley Scott's Android Series 'Raised By Wolves' Adds 'Prometheus/Alien: Covenant' Costume Designer

https://twitter.com/HNEsocial/status/1077668831278088208

HN Entertainment was able to get ahold of some new plot and character details for TNT's Raised By Wolves, a new science fiction series that will be Ridley Scott's television debut and is written by Prisoners screenwriter Aaron Guzikowski.:

Spoiler
Raised By Wolves will be a 10-episode serialized science fiction series that will see two androids raising multiple generations of human children from embryos on a virgin planet, trying to rear them as atheists since religion has fractured Earth and are aiming to keep religious differences out of the equation in the new colony, as to save them tearing each other apart. They discover the belief in the unknown/unreal is part of being human and is harder than they think to remove it completely from their new society.

The two main roles will be the two androids that are raising the children, who are named Mother and Father along with Campion, one of the many children they will be raising in the series. Here are character breakdowns for the roles that have an option for five potential seasons (ratings will likely be the deciding factor if it goes beyond season one).

FATHER (MALE 30-39): Father is very proud of his son Campion while conflicted by his growing love for Mother and is more empathetic of the two androids, shows more signs of parenting skills you'd expect from an android tasked to raise children. He is more mindful of the well-being of the family, pragmatic but deeply caring and compassionate. Father is more forgiving of the beliefs of the younger generation and is determined to put Campion's future ahead of his own species' ambition. Can feel inferior at times to Mother being a less advanced android.

MOTHER (FEMALE 30-39): Mother is more fearless, bold, strict, intimidating, and stubborn than Father even though being a more advanced android and can be violent at times, which is a problem due to her immense level of strength. She also has the ability to levitate, can use mind-control, and physically morph into other beings. Desperate to be a mother she has issues with feelings and emotions. Her ambitions and stubbornness can sometimes lead to poor decisions that create tension with Father.

CAMPION (MALE 12-14): Campion is a scrappy, tough, and independent human child. Often mimics the overly literal ways of his android parents and is socially awkward. 
[close]

Filming was expected to begin mid-January in Cape Town, South Africa with it wrapping production in August-September.

We previously revealed that the production team includes production designer Chris Seagers (Alien: Covenant, X-Men: First Class) and Oscar-winning costume designer Janty Yates (Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, The Martian).

TNT has yet to give an official air date for Raised By Wolves.

SOURCE: HN ENTERTAINMENT

https://hnentertainment.co/exclusive-character-breakdowns-for-ridley-scotts-android-series-raised-by-wolves/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed