Is BLACKOUT worth buying?

Started by Roby, Jan 29, 2019, 12:30:38 AM

Do you think BLACKOUT is worth buying?

YES (It's great!)
10 (58.8%)
NO (It's a waste of $)
2 (11.8%)
SURE (Worth buying, if only to feed curiosity)
4 (23.5%)
MAYBE (While it's not great, anything ALIEN is worth buying)
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: Feb 28, 2019, 12:30:38 AM

Author
Is BLACKOUT worth buying? (Read 6,239 times)

newbeing

newbeing

After beating it a few days ago I'd say yes it's worth it, assuming that the description of the gameplay peaks your interest.

Good:
Gameplay wise it is able to build a lot of tension, and really requires you to be observant and always thinking on your feet. I do think they could have potentially made it harder to extend the length of the game, but I felt just trying to get all of the survivors through the 7 areas was a good challenge that maybe in total took about 5 hours.

Graphically it's one of the best looking games I've played on Mobile - doing a fantastic job of adapting Alien: Isolation's visuals and sound effects to a smaller platform. Voice acting is great.

Annoying:
The game requires a lot of trial and error, which is fine, but there are a few stages that kind of take some time to get going at the start.
Controls are mostly fine, but I felt like the camera speed for when your in Amanda's POV was a little too slow, and caused me to die a few times because I couldn't turn my head fast enough to close a vent.
Story wise it is pretty bare bones.

All and all I thought it was very much worth the 5 bucks. Maybe it's a bad comparison, but I tend to compare game purchases with going to the movies. Nowadays it costs you anywhere from $7-$13 just to see a 2 hour long movie. So an interactive Alien game that lasts twice as long is a good deal to me.

SM

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 29, 2019, 10:46:33 AM
Have you gotten around to giving it a go?

I don't have a device to run it on (my phone and Ipad are too old), plus I'm away on holiday at the minute so don't have a stack of time.  One of the kids Ipads might run it though.

Roby

Roby

I think I'll definitely give it a go! (when I can find some time!)

Looking forward to it!

Hudson

Hudson

If you buy it, do not DO NOT go into the final level (I think I'm at the end) with only one character left. Wow. Been lying in bed for about two hours failing at it until I rage quit.

Pick a number between 2 and 12 and roll a pair of dice until it comes up. Another comparable feeling to playing this game.

The final vent room that Ripley sits in is easily the cheapest cheap shot this game has thrown at me so far. Yep, her head turns way too slowly. A game flaw that increases difficulty. If you turn your head to look at the wrong vent, you don't have enough time to turn your head back to the correct opening to close it. On top of that, the corridor the Alien can come in through has such a specific area you need to tap to close the door that I've only been successful 1/4 times at stopping its entry through that point. It's nearly impossible unless you look at the right vent to start with, and it's randomized so good luck with this one.

Roby

Roby

Quote from: Hudson on Jan 30, 2019, 05:39:31 PM
If you buy it, do not DO NOT go into the final level (I think I'm at the end) with only one character left. Wow. Been lying in bed for about two hours failing at it until I rage quit.

Pick a number between 2 and 12 and roll a pair of dice until it comes up. Another comparable feeling to playing this game.

The final vent room that Ripley sits in is easily the cheapest cheap shot this game has thrown at me so far. Yep, her head turns way too slowly. A game flaw that increases difficulty. If you turn your head to look at the wrong vent, you don't have enough time to turn your head back to the correct opening to close it. On top of that, the corridor the Alien can come in through has such a specific area you need to tap to close the door that I've only been successful 1/4 times at stopping its entry through that point. It's nearly impossible unless you look at the right vent to start with, and it's randomized so good luck with this one.

Thanks!

Stitch

Stitch

It apparently has 7 levels and I've finished 3 of them.

It's entertaining and surprisingly tense, but at the same time the deaths feel randomised and kind of cheap, especially in the areas where you have no cameras and are just staring at a map.

On the UK store it's £5, and I would not pay that for it. I got a Google voucher for £2 off and I think that it's probably worth the £3 I paid. Price of a pint for a one and done experience, as I'm very unlikely to replay it once I'm finished.

I can't vote as there isn't a 'Buy it, when it's cheaper' option.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Personally, I feel like it was very much worth the £5. I'm hoping to get my review up over the weekend but yeah, I really enjoyed it. It has some issues and I feel it'd have been more on the PC but it's so much fun. I know it's not being billed as Isolation 2, but it is a slice of Isolation with some different flavoured frosting, accessible anywhere.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

I've only played a little bit but yeah it's a solid release, definitely worth the purchase. We're getting spoilt this year so I'm pretty happy thus far.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I'd say yes if only for curiousity. I've played a few hours. It's fun, it builds good tension at times. I don't have a lot of desire to go back to it after my initial play, however.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed