Marvel's Predator (Volume 1) - Predator: Day of the Hunter

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Mar 18, 2021, 06:30:03 PM

Author
Marvel's Predator (Volume 1) - Predator: Day of the Hunter (Read 68,863 times)

TilotnyWorshiper28

TilotnyWorshiper28

We got the cover for Predator #6 from the Leaked marvel solicitation preview for January 2023

no actual solicitation yet only some marvel titles got full solicitations in the preview  Alien , Predator and Star Wars didn't yet .

https://is2.4chan.org/co/1663769590186896.png

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/10/14/marvel-preview-predator-3/

Oh yes!
Spoiler
The wrist-rocket.
[close]
Nice to see that make a return!

TilotnyWorshiper28

https://i.4cdn.org/co/1666279231997771.jpg

PREDATOR #6

ED BRISSON (W) • KEV WALKER (A) • Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU

Variant Cover by CARLOS MAGNO

Theta and the Astar team are under attack by a Predator! But is this the one Theta has been searching for all her life? Don't miss what happens as Theta comes face-to-face with what could be her final battle!

32 PGS./Parental Advisory ...$3.99

Xiggz456

Another solid issue! I really do like this story even though it stretches my suspension of disbelief to a degree.

RidgeTop

Well Land is back, on one of the variants for #5.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: RidgeTop on Oct 25, 2022, 07:51:59 PMWell Land is back, on one of the variants for #5.

Ugh. I wish he'd just go away...

Looks to me like he forgot to finish drawing/tracing the legs too

SiL

That left leg looks like it's bolted on the side like a teddy bear.

(Bad Blood)

So anyone else think she has killed WAY too many Predators? I just can't get past that detail, I love the character herself but that piece of information in issue 3 was just too much. I can understand a couple of them but not anywhere near as many as they said.

Engineer

Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Oct 26, 2022, 03:14:46 AMSo anyone else think she has killed WAY too many Predators? I just can't get past that detail, I love the character herself but that piece of information in issue 3 was just too much. I can understand a couple of them but not anywhere near as many as they said.

I don't like anything about this story arc. Especially the fact that it pretty much kicks off with her being a seasoned hunter of the predators. I don't mind people hunting them, but it has to be *earned* first, like all of the characters in Dark Horse's "Hunters," "Hunters II" and "Hunters III" series. Without that, and just jumping right into her being a seasoned hunter of them, It just Reduces the predators to generic-alien-killers and basic-canon-fodder imo.

From my perspective it Completely loses the high-stakes hunter/prey dynamic the series was known for, and it seems more like a sci-fi franchise in the middle of an identity crisis. I can see someone having the rebuttal that the high-stakes hunter/prey dynamic is still there just reversed, but that just doesn't work for me; it's not as interesting narratively to me.

I was really looking forward to checking this series out. I'm not just bashing on it because it's marvel (I've always been a fan of marvel). But this really has been a disappointment. I'm hoping that "Prey" will inspire them to recalibrate their approach to the predator franchise and return to a more traditional story arc.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: Engineer on Oct 26, 2022, 03:49:06 AM
Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Oct 26, 2022, 03:14:46 AMSo anyone else think she has killed WAY too many Predators? I just can't get past that detail, I love the character herself but that piece of information in issue 3 was just too much. I can understand a couple of them but not anywhere near as many as they said.

I don't like anything about this story arc. Especially the fact that it pretty much kicks off with her being a seasoned hunter of the predators. I don't mind people hunting them, but it has to be *earned* first, like all of the characters in Dark Horse's "Hunters," "Hunters II" and "Hunters III" series. Without that, and just jumping right into her being a seasoned hunter of them, It just Reduces the predators to generic-alien-killers and basic-canon-fodder imo.

From my perspective it Completely loses the high-stakes hunter/prey dynamic the series was known for, and it seems more like a sci-fi franchise in the middle of an identity crisis. I can see someone having the rebuttal that the high-stakes hunter/prey dynamic is still there just reversed, but that just doesn't work for me; it's not as interesting narratively to me.

I was really looking forward to checking this series out. I'm not just bashing on it because it's marvel (I've always been a fan of marvel). But this really has been a disappointment. I'm hoping that "Prey" will inspire them to recalibrate their approach to the predator franchise and return to a more traditional story arc.
I feel exactly the same way you do about it. It honestly just undermines the crap out of the Predators and it's just actually demoralizing as a predator fan to see. Fearing that this trend might pick up steam and then I honestly would be done with the franchise at that point. The whole point of the original films and stories was that we were hopelessly outmatched and it took one super cunning and skilled individual to take one down, and that's just one, not 23, one. Usually alot of deaths being involved in the process as well, even when facing a young blood/blooded like City Hunter. So indeed I understand completely.

Engineer

I'll say this too...

Dark horse wasn't perfect, but if they were still handling the comics today, we would have had an "official prequel to Prey" already where feral faced-off against the French fur trappers prior to his encounter with Naru. Such a missed opportunity there I think... I miss that level of cooperative tie-ins too...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Engineer on Oct 26, 2022, 03:49:06 AMI don't like anything about this story arc. Especially the fact that it pretty much kicks off with her being a seasoned hunter of the predators. I don't mind people hunting them, but it has to be *earned* first, like all of the characters in Dark Horse's "Hunters," "Hunters II" and "Hunters III" series. Without that, and just jumping right into her being a seasoned hunter of them, It just Reduces the predators to generic-alien-killers and basic-canon-fodder imo.

Yeah, this is my main issue with the series so far too. It's so DC Movies, trying to play catch up with Marvel and jumping to the end. We should have had other series that led into this.

Now, that said, I am still enjoying the arc so far. I liked the way
Spoiler
she killed the Predator in #3.
[close]
It was a nice move and I completely brought into it. I also think it's interesting that we're seeing that Theta actually
Spoiler
has cybernetic/robotic components.
[close]
It implies some seriously hard won battles in the past, and also speaks to her seeming extra proficiency in taking on the Predators. Just how much of her is like that?

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Engineer on Oct 26, 2022, 06:38:01 PMDark horse wasn't perfect, but if they were still handling the comics today, we would have had an "official prequel to Prey" already where feral faced-off against the French fur trappers prior to his encounter with Naru

Yes, that would be far preferable to what we're getting from Marvel.

If our human female protagonist is already established as this nigh-unstoppable Pred-wrecking machine within the first few issues, how is this character and the plot going to develop across the next, say, dozen issues?

If she can repeatedly beat Preds like this over and over again, she's either extremely lucky...or the Preds simply don't pose much of a danger to her. The former is silly from a storytelling perspective and the latter debases the Preds.

It woulda made more sense to follow her long and arduous journey from grieving, orphaned girl to hardcore warrior-woman...like a slow-burn revenge tale, where along the way, we could learn more about Marvel's Pred universe set in the future. What are the forces at play on the human and non-human sides?How did she learn the ropes and grow into an elite operator capable of hunting Preds?

Maybe they'll introduce an "elite" Pred to give her a proper challenge later?So far, this reads like a generic sci-fi setting with a hyper-dominant heroine from the get-go and hapless Preds thrown in as fodder to prop her up.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Just read issue 4 and enjoyed it. Even though I have some issues with the story, I still find it to be fun and I especially like the way each issue both feels like a complete self contained story while still moving the story forward towards the next issue.

Spoiler
The Predator that would've killed Theta if not for the company mercs looked like the Enforcer Predator from "Bad Blood" to me. Thoughts?
[close]

Corporal Hicks

I completely missed #4 was out! Thought I was caught up! Looking forward to having a read.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed