AvPG Reviews Alien 3 Novelization

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 07, 2014, 11:41:19 AM

Author
AvPG Reviews Alien 3 Novelization (Read 4,890 times)

Corporal Hicks

To celebrate the 35th anniversary of Alien, Titan Books has been republishing Alan Dean Foster’s Alien novelizations (in addition to their own original trilogy, the second of which is out at the end of month). I have uploaded a review I have done of Mr Foster’s Alien 3 novelization:

“Much like the final film, Alan Dean Foster experienced many issues when writing the Alien 3novelization. When we spoke to him back in 2006, Alan Dean Foster commented that he: "approach[ed] it in a twofold manner: as a writer collaborating with another writer (or writers) and as a fan with the opportunity to 'fix' those mistakes and errors we all mutter while seated in the back of the movie theater."

You can find my review of the Alien 3 novelization in our Articles section – along with my review of Alien – Out of the Shadows, the first of Titan’s original Alien based.

FiorinaFury161

The first chapter is one of the most eerie, unsettling chapters of a book I have ever read Pure terror and chaos. Overall, the novel is almost step for step for the assembly cut with extra tidbits thrown in. The extra information about the planet of Fiorina 161 and the settling of the mine/refinery is something I really wish the movie added in. I would highly suggest this novel to fan who is still trying to accept the film and all Alien 3 fanactics.

Hix

Hix

Better than the movie! (Isn't It Ironic?) 8)

happypred

The assembly cut is better than the theatrical version...but it still ain't a good movie IMO

Alien and Aliens are far, far superior to any version of Alien 3

The AC is basically a polished rock. A rock, no matter how much you polish it, still ain't a diamond. That said, I believe the novelisation is probably more bearable than the film. It's harder to get all the bald guys confused.

FiorinaFury161

Plus Dillon has a long, single dreadlock in the novel :P

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jul 07, 2014, 03:23:00 PMThe first chapter is one of the most eerie, unsettling chapters of a book I have ever read Pure terror and chaos.

The novel starts brilliantly, but goes downhill after that. It feels a lot like Foster is totally bored with it by the end, which, given how the studio nixed all his desired changes, is probably entirely true.

happypred

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Aug 02, 2014, 05:32:19 PM
Plus Dillon has a long, single dreadlock in the novel :P

Plus he's black...thought I seem to recall one other black guy? I think the theatrical version of Alien 3 is passable. The Assembly Cut is a decent film. I just don't think the AC is the masterpiece some alien fans think it is. I'm going to give the novel a shot. I think it'll be better than the film (both theatrical and AC)

SM

SM

Dillon, Boggs, Arthur, stunt guy played by Mark Newman

happypred

happypred

Just re-watched Alien 3 AC

Mixed feelings. It's not a great movie but it's definitely not a bad movie, especially by today's standards. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a misunderstood masterpiece, more like...a beautiful mess with a number of powerful, stirring, thought-provoking moments scattered throughout

It dragged at times but overall I enjoyed it. On its own merits, it's a decent film - a step above the standard fare nowadays. Alien and Aliens were A+ films. I'd give Alien 3 a B or a B+

Note: On my grading scale, a mediocre, "OK" film would get a B- 
Alien 3 is clearly above mediocre in my view

Local Trouble

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 04, 2014, 02:36:41 PM
Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jul 07, 2014, 03:23:00 PMThe first chapter is one of the most eerie, unsettling chapters of a book I have ever read Pure terror and chaos.

The novel starts brilliantly, but goes downhill after that. It feels a lot like Foster is totally bored with it by the end, which, given how the studio nixed all his desired changes, is probably entirely true.

What did Foster want to change?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

He wanted to keep Newt alive for one. She'd be trapped in stasis or something, so should wouldn't play a part in the story, but he loathed that she was killed off and wanted to change that. He also supposedly came up with a load of backstory for a bunch of the prisoners, to flesh them out, but whoever was in charge (Fox?) made him cut it all.

The removal of all that was the reason he turned down the novelisation of Resurrection.

Local Trouble

Ah.

Did he have some special insight about what really happened during the opening scene or was his two-facehuggers-scenario just his own personal rationalization for the absurd script he was hired to adapt?

happypred

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 05, 2014, 11:38:34 PM
Did he have some special insight about what really happened during the opening scene or was his two-facehuggers-scenario just his own personal rationalization for the absurd script he was hired to adapt?

Looking forward to Foster's take...the comic adaptation has the chestburster originally in Newt. It then abandons Newt when she drowns and crawls down Ripley's throat

SM

SM

Foster's is just as confused - two huggers, one dies on the Sulaco, leaving one to impregnate both Ripley and Babe.

Local Trouble

I thought you said it could only have impregnated Hicks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed