Celebrating the Original, Alien 40th Anniversary Retrospective - AvP Galaxy Podcast #94

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 06, 2019, 08:28:00 AM

Author
Celebrating the Original, Alien 40th Anniversary Retrospective - AvP Galaxy Podcast #94 (Read 7,813 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 94th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Our latest episode features regular hosts Corporal Hicks, RidgeTop, and Xenomorphine discussing the original Alien! Originally intended for release on Alien’s 40th anniversary in May, our retrospective is now available to listen to on the 40th anniversary of Alien’s general release in the UK!

This episode was originally recorded back in May and was intended to be our 90th episode, but due to quite a few difficulties in getting this one scheduled and recorded it got delayed. When we were finally able to record it, it was late at night for me and when it was finished I felt like we’d done a bad job and intended to re-record it. Upon listening to the recording to edit what good we’d done, I discovered we’d done a good job and it was just my tired memory colouring the recording!

We discuss our first memories of seeing Alien, the scenes that really define Alien to us, whether the impact of Alien has been lessened by being emulated so many times, the relatability of the characters and plenty more!

During the podcast we mention the character bios that were written for Alien and then featured in Aliens during Ripley’s hearing. You can head on over to Strange Shapes to check out transcripts of those bios!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunesPodBean, GooglePlay StitcherYouTube and now Spotify! Please be sure to leave a review on whichever platform you're using!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Excellent! Listening now. Thanks!

And the podcast was good! I enjoyed it. Well done, guys.:)

I took some notes. Will post more later.

In the late 70s, there were fewer movies in the theaters and all this was new. There was no real point of reference for Alien. It was unique. Dark Star may have been a prototype, but I tried watching it in June. It was horrible. I've seen it before. I turned it off after a little while.

It's fantastic that we can still talk about Alien in positive terms 40 years on. You can't take that for granted. Lots of movies from last year have already been forgotten. We're talking about a movie from 40 years ago. Incredible!

I have that photonovel. It's great! I have the movie magazine that came out at the time, too. That has pictures of the creature. I have some of the Starlogs and whatever from that time, as well. But mostly, they live in a box in the closet. My Giger books get more love.

Ridgetop, I saw the MGM attraction at Orlando, too. The best part was, they had props from the movie on display. It's been a long time, and I don't remember exactly what they had. But it was fun.

Neither Jazz Hands nor the clumsiness in shooting broken Ash ever bothered me. I like that weird smile at the end, before he's burned. It's like he's satisfied that the Alien is going to win in the end.

My favorite bit with the creature is the close-up of the head. The Alien's face fills the screen and you see teeth, more teeth, liquid squirting, The mouth opens with impossible slowness, and the inner mouth strikes.

I agree with Xenomorphine: They tried many ideas for the Alien, but what we got was the best.

Thanks again for the podcast!

El Pistolero

Hey guys, I love your podcast. It would be nice have movie commentarys of you guys. Zaki and Rian of the Moviefilm Podcast did a very good take on Alien this year. :)

Voodoo Magic

I'm only halfway done. My favorite moment so far was Hicks trying to get the podcast back on track...(paraphrasing) for the love of God can we stop talking Aien 3
:D

Still Collating...

Another good podcast. Always fun listening to you guys, no need to worry so much, you're doing great with the shear range of podcast subjects, ideas and interviews. The rare times I don't listen to one is when the subject doesn't really interest me, but that's rare.

Learnt a few new factoids, wasn't expecting that so thanks. And don't you be slacking of Hicks, you gotta think of something good for the 100th podcast... :P

And yeah, I'd listen to commentaries from all three of you on all of the movies, honestly. And I'm still waiting for that Isolation playthrough, not to mention the AVP2 one.

DaniilLogOut

In regards of best scene in the movie - i absolutely love Parker and Lambert death sequence. 'Cause i can feell that bastard enjoying what he's doing, can see creepy smile on his face, Ugh!

Kimo

No need to worry Hicks its a good podcast always love listening to you guys talk all things Alien(s) + Predator(s)

Just a little off topic, and it's not relevant to this site. But have you guys ever thought about doing a one off podcast that's not Aliens or Predator related? Would love to hear you guys thoughts on other classic films like The Terminator franchise, The Thing, RoboCop, Star Wars ect.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Kimo on Sep 08, 2019, 01:27:50 PM
No need to worry Hicks its a good podcast always love listening to you guys talk all things Alien(s) + Predator(s)

Just a little off topic, and it's not relevant to this site. But have you guys ever thought about doing a one off podcast that's not Aliens or Predator related? Would love to hear you guys thoughts on other classic films like The Terminator franchise, The Thing, RoboCop, Star Wars ect.

I've suggested this, Hicks isn't interested.  :P

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Sep 06, 2019, 01:42:00 PM
Ridgetop, I saw the MGM attraction at Orlando, too. The best part was, they had props from the movie on display. It's been a long time, and I don't remember exactly what they had. But it was fun.

There are some videos of the ride on YouTube before it closed down a few years back. Thankfully I got to have one last experience of it in 2014. Sad to see Disney replacing classic attractions such as this.
_____

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: RidgeTop on Sep 09, 2019, 09:20:02 AM

I've suggested this, Hicks isn't interested.  :P

Uh oh... RidgeTop drew first blood and Hicks is now putting on his bandana.

Got my popcorn ready! 

;D

XenoHunter99

Thanks Ridgetop. I'll look on Youtube. :)

BTW: I was convinced to watch A3 2003 Spec Ed (again) yesterday. I think that movie gets better over time or something. ;D It's one of the hazards of making young franchise fans: Resurrection, AVP, and A3 all get the benefit of fresh viewings. And the young people love the movies! Especially Resurrection and AVP. :P

Prez

Great pod guys. So many memories brought back around first reading the Alien Photo Novel back in 79/80!
Thanks to my elder brother this then 7 year old not only knew the whole story but what the Alien looked like. Wouldn't be a couple more years before I watched it on TV (which was censored to buggery).

That novel and the Making of Alien were staples for me and formulated a lot of own artistic style. I was drawing biomechanical creatures in primary school much to confusion of my teachers  ;D

So today I found a copy of that photo novel on Ebay and bought it for a bargain $28!

@Xenohunter99 nailed it on the head. In the late 70s movie goers had never seen or experienced anything like this on a visual level. It was so unique in design (largely thanks to Geiger's nightmarish creativity. I still remember my brother talking nonstop about this film.

I remember also how very little movie going audiences knew about the Alien itself. Did Ripley actually destroy it at the end? How did it see with no eyes? Was it indestructible?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: El Pistolero on Sep 07, 2019, 10:35:08 AM
Hey guys, I love your podcast. It would be nice have movie commentarys of you guys. Zaki and Rian of the Moviefilm Podcast did a very good take on Alien this year. :)

Thank you!  :) That is definitely something I'm really interested in doing for all the films! We've tried a couple of times but it never seems to go swimmingly.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 07, 2019, 10:52:40 AM
I'm only halfway done. My favorite moment so far was Hicks trying to get the podcast back on track...(paraphrasing) for the love of God can we stop talking Aien 3
:D

It wouldn't be a podcast without tangents.  ;)

Quote from: Still Collating... on Sep 07, 2019, 07:36:19 PM
Learnt a few new factoids, wasn't expecting that so thanks. And don't you be slacking of Hicks, you gotta think of something good for the 100th podcast... :P

I've got the 100th episode sorted. And I'm actually quite excited. It's goes all the way back to our heritage.  ;D

QuoteAnd yeah, I'd listen to commentaries from all three of you on all of the movies, honestly. And I'm still waiting for that Isolation playthrough, not to mention the AVP2 one.

There's just not enough time in the world.  :'(

I'm not so interested in doing episodes like that - they seem more like something you'd do to intice Patreon subscribers as a bonus episode - but I'm very interested in doing knock-off or relevant movies like Outland, Dark Star, Inseminoid, Red Alert, things like that.   

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the episode! Was just really self-conscious of this one.

Kradan

Kradan

My favourite scene is Parker and Lambert's death sequence. I just remember watching it 1000000th time or something like that and suddenly realising "It's smilling ! That bastard is smilling ! "

Kimo

@ Hicks

Dark Star and Outland would be very interesting if u ever do a one off podcast, especially since Outland feels like it could exist in the same universe as Alien. Don't think ive seen the other films you mention? but ya an episode on Alien knock off's would be very interesting for a podcast if you guys are running short on podcast ideas.

Prez

Quote from: Kradan on Sep 12, 2019, 02:03:28 PM
My favourite scene is Parker and Lambert's death sequence. I just remember watching it 1000000th time or something like that and suddenly realsing "It's smilling ! That bastard is smilling ! "

The musical score in that scene only compounded my sheer terror as a 9 year old seeing it for the first time (very early 80s on TV).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed