Dan Trachtenberg Talks Amber Midthunder's Casting, French Fur Trappers and No Plasma Casters

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 12, 2022, 11:38:18 AM

Author
Dan Trachtenberg Talks Amber Midthunder's Casting, French Fur Trappers and No Plasma Casters (Read 13,717 times)

SiL

Dan explicitly said he took out the shoulder canon because he thought it was too much of an instant win button. It's the first line of the quoted text, what's the confusion?

[cancerblack]

Whether he feels that way about it in general, or relating to the time period specifically. It can be read either way.

Highland

Blane was holding a mini-gun. There's zero chance he's getting himself killed from a bow and arrow.

The original movie even touches on this when Dutch kicks the gun out of Anna's hands.

Master

Master

Futuristic speargun or bow is as much capable of killing Blane with or without minigun as plasmacaster. The point is moot. Predator does not play fair and the difference in killing it's pray unfairly in one way or another doesn't change anything.

I'd rather would make it personal preference.  One takes good ol rifle into the woods and other likes to play with sophisticated bow and arrows.  It dosent change a bit for intended animal.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Master on Jun 12, 2022, 11:31:55 PMFuturistic speargun or bow is as much capable of killing Blane with or without minigun as plasmacaster. The point is moot. Predator does not play fair and the difference in killing it's pray unfairly in one way or another doesn't change anything.

I'd rather would make it personal preference.  One takes good ol rifle into the woods and other likes to play with sophisticated bow and arrows.  It dosent change a bit for intended animal.

That's like saying to a fisherman, why take a fishing rod when you can just take a bunch of grenades.

Humans use guns, he uses a gun, humans use bows he uses a bow. I think it's probably as simple as that.

Unless fans actually want the Predator running around with a normal bow and arrow....

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SiL on Jun 12, 2022, 10:37:36 PMDan explicitly said he took out the shoulder canon because he thought it was too much of an instant win button. It's the first line of the quoted text, what's the confusion?

If he really wanted to make the premise fairer, he should have removed the cloaking device instead.  ;D

Quote from: Highland on Jun 13, 2022, 12:13:04 AMHumans use guns, he uses a gun, humans use bows he uses a bow. I think it's probably as simple as that.

Humans use weapons to kill animals that they couldn't beat with their bare hands. We are smart omnivores, and we don't have the strength nor the natural weapons to prey on whatever we want. Humans use intelligence to create mechanisms. I guess with the Predator it's similar and mankind represent a challenge in technological terms. They can kick human butt with their bare hands after all. :P

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 12, 2022, 10:44:26 PMWhether he feels that way about it in general, or relating to the time period specifically. It can be read either way.

This. I read it as generally.

GreybackElder

I think people are splitting hairs when it comes to what the director said in regards to the plasma caster. Take "predator hunting rules" and what they deem as fair and noble Out of the equation for a second. I'd say like 85% or 90% of the time the plasma caster was a one shot one kill. I think that is way more unfair than a spear or bow and arrow that may only possibly wound on first hit. 

Plasma cannon > than spear.

Rankles75

Thought Amber was excellent in Legion, so I'm sure she will nail this.

Highland

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 13, 2022, 12:23:11 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jun 12, 2022, 10:37:36 PMDan explicitly said he took out the shoulder canon because he thought it was too much of an instant win button. It's the first line of the quoted text, what's the confusion?

If he really wanted to make the premise fairer, he should have removed the cloaking device instead.  ;D

Quote from: Highland on Jun 13, 2022, 12:13:04 AMHumans use guns, he uses a gun, humans use bows he uses a bow. I think it's probably as simple as that.

Humans use weapons to kill animals that they couldn't beat with their bare hands. We are smart omnivores, and we don't have the strength nor the natural weapons to prey on whatever we want. Humans use intelligence to create mechanisms. I guess with the Predator it's similar and mankind represent a challenge in technological terms. They can kick human butt with their bare hands after all. :P

True, but the Predator has to hunt things much worse than a human. Can't see him taking on an Alien hive with a tomahawk  :laugh: 

Mr.Turok

I think people miss the point that it takes more skill in using a bow then a futuristic aimbot plasma based shoulder weapon that has the capacity to punch a hole into a tank. Have to have strength in pulling back the bow, keeping it steady to launch a successful shot, keep tight groupings for have consistent accuracy, taking account of wind, elevation, getting close enough range to make successful shot without alerting your prey due range limitations of a bow, ect.

I don't know much on the speargun's performance seeing as we have the games to go with and that one scene in Predator 2, so we don't know the true canon function of the weapon will be like the other media or something else new. It came in pistol and rifle form, and for all we know it could have been a wrist weapon that is short ranged due to the ambiguity of the scene in P2. Lets not forget that the speargun's function during gameplay is not an accurate translation to film function due to said being gameplay. 

As for cloaking device, I mean we humans use camouflaged suits to blend in the environment for our hunts or warfare operations and this is an advanced version that crumbles before being splashed by water, in comparison to our camosuits that simply get wet but in no means disrupts the suit's function at all. Might rain in the forest but I still blend in said trees in bushes, but just sucks that I'm wet and now a simple wind can get me cold. So its a trade off of strengths and weaknesses.

SiL

The point is that's true whether the Predator is hunting now or 300 years ago.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 12, 2022, 10:44:23 PMWhether he feels that way about it in general, or relating to the time period specifically. It can be read either way.
Empire contextualises the quote with the time difference, so it does seem that's what he's saying.

I got one welcome our new gnarly weapons.

Daniele Zucchi

A Predator without its plasma caster is difficult to see. I hope it will be worth seeing it

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Rankles75 on Jun 13, 2022, 01:33:20 AMThought Amber was excellent in Legion, so I'm sure she will nail this.

Yes!  ;D

Lefty

I dig it because I always prefer them using blades, anyway. It's just so brutal to imagine those wrist blades going into you. Although I hope it isn't played off as "they haven't invented the plasma casters yet" or anything that limits the predator world building. They don't all have to use one, I imagine they select their preferred gear before a hunt, and this one might just prefer to go without it.

Blades, spears and nets ftw. I'd love to see something akin to Greyback's "alien machete" getting some use, too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed