Chances of Blomkamp's Alien Being Made: "Slim"

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 21, 2017, 01:28:06 PM

Author
Chances of Blomkamp's Alien Being Made: "Slim" (Read 41,690 times)

BishopShouldGo

But he didn't direct Toy Story.

howard.moody.566

Scott doesn't want anyone to steal his thunder and from what I've seen so far about Covenant, that won't be hard to do.

Beatnation

YES, YES!!!!!!

Finally Fox got some criteria

Magegg

f**k you, Ridley Scott.

Covenant is going to be Prometheus 1.1, I expect absolutely nothing good.

SiL

This has nothing to do with Scott.

Magegg

If Scott hadn't said he wanted to do Covenant and more Alien movies, the studio would have went to Blomkamp's Alien 5. They were even like greenlighted him already!

SiL

Covenant started preproduction before Blomkamp's idea was picked up. Multiple sequels to Covenant had been spoken about before Blomkamp was picked up.

Necronomicon II

Indeed, also, The Wrap reported back in March 2014 that what was then just known as Prometheus 2 was going to be more "Alien-y" and feature multiple Fassbenders. Blomkamp's fan art surfaced in January 2015. Thus, FOX had already capitalized on the idea of returning to the franchise's roots long before Blomkamp's ideas, and that is precisely due to the divisive reaction of Prometheus. Claims that Scott suddenly shifted course are baseless.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jan 26, 2017, 05:56:44 AM
Indeed, also, The Wrap reported back in March 2014 that what was then just known as Prometheus 2 was going to be more "Alien-y" and feature multiple Fassbenders. Blomkamp's fan art surfaced in January 2015. Thus, FOX had already capitalized on the idea of returning to the franchise's roots long before Blomkamp's ideas, and that is precisely due to the divisive reaction of Prometheus. Claims that Scott suddenly shifted course are baseless.

This man's got a memory and a fine brain.

Shamo

Anything is still possible. Its Hollywood. The decision goes from one movie to the next. If Alien Covenant rocks- and makes money- they will reinvest in ideas.

I am sad of course, if Alien 5 does not happen. I want more Alien on the Big Screen! Way more.

The Question is- must it really be Ripley? I am still torn as much as I love her and Hicks.

But The Predator could also rock! And with the Alien and the Predator presences reinvigorated-

Rage Wars! They have to it! Including Videogames!

Bloncamp could be part of that. Or do something after it, because we will need a new story as well! Post rage wars! Mechs and Biomechs and new Aliens and shit. I think Blonkamp should completely go off the rails instead of making an Aliens Fan Fiction. Gimme that  Alien King! Make the whole movie a VR Experience!

Push everything to the Limit! I dont want Alien to be some fan niche! These movies changed cinema and pop culture forever! Lets get on with that!

If I look at District 9- I think Blonkamp could really explore the relations between Humans and Predators post Rage Wars. Even put Engineers and Synthetics in the mix. Or just expand rage wars. Explore the Rage more psychologically. I think that two different senses of reality, different kind of consciousness clashing- is a theme lingering in all of Blonkamps movies. And I think Blonkamp is quiet talented in hinting at these in a subtle but effective and emotionally capturing way. I could connect with the aliens from district 9 and chappy- but I never felt they were too human. Perfect for the more expanded Alien universe.

Anything is possible. This universe is brewing man. So much potential! We all must keep up the hype here!

For now I am just happy I will see Alien Covenant, have some hi-quality Comics, and get an Alien Covenant VR Experience. I bought Playstation VR after it was announced here!

Especially I want to see new Alien Variations- or a more layered exploration of the Aliens nature in future movies.

This is why Covenant, with the Neomorphs and what not and the whole Origin mythology has still the greatest pull on me.

To be honest- the Aliens are getting kind of dulled lately. Especially in the books and Comics, and the AVP movies. The original Quadrilogy was interesting, because you had a feeling that each installment was exploring the Alien Nature a bit further. The first Alien was like a lone warrior whose molecular texture blended in with the ship environment! This is a keypoint thats missing in the lore lately. It wasn't chance that the Alien looked like a pipe in the last scene. I am not saying its shape shifting but- it is because the Alien is born on a ship, it looks the way it does. And in Aliens the texture was different because they were from the planet.

Each installment added new things. Genetic Mutations depending on the host, hive mind, hybrid Aliens who connected with Ripley- I loved that man. For me the scene were Ripley is carried by an hybrid alien- Ripley being a hybrid herself is Iconic to me. The lines begins to blur.  And the Aliens in Resurrection felt like they had emotions!

When Cristie blew the facehuggers- the hybrid in the water looked pissed and went to get him! And got him later!

The Newborn and the Queen- the Queen had affection. The Newborn Alien Girl was completely psycho. Something that should not exist. And Ripley who can feel all of the Aliens minds- I think it was a really interesting route. When she kills the Newborn- it feels like this is her daughter who has become the nightmare- dying painfully sucked into outta space while screaming something resembling Mama, Ripley chosing humans over Xenomorphs whose sheer wild will of existence she can feel now, because of an android- Resurrection really had crazy ideas. Your not gonna retcon that.

Resurrection to me is a surreal amplification of the Alien Universe and should remain untouched.

Sorry I trailed of a little bit. But it felt good :)

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Russ on Jan 25, 2017, 09:49:19 AM
Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jan 25, 2017, 02:18:43 AM
Created a video about this. Take a watch, let me know what your thoughts are!

Great work - I really enjoyed it. I wonder about Covenant bombing hard playing to AlienKaamps hands... its a tough call because if it does fail, would there be the appetite for spin-off/retcon? On the one hand - "we didn't have Ripley - that is why we fail"... on the other "this franchise is weak..."

I just don't know, but thanks so much for putting the video up, great stuff.
Thank you very much! I encourage people to watch my video to hear my thoughts.

To elaborate on a point you made, Ripley (the character, her thematic trends) made the Alien movies what they are. Sure you had a horrific space wasp species, claustrophobic and terror-inducing settings, appropriate music, etc, but Ripley was and certainly is central to the films. Without her, an Alien film would feel lacking, but that doesn't mean it would fail guaranteed.

Most of the comic stories succeed without shoe-horning Ripley into them (they tell a complete story, not necessarily a good one mind you). The AvP PC games do not include her. I firmly believe we can have an Alien film without the need for Ripley.

BishopShouldGo

I feel like if Covenant exceeds box office expectations, there'll be a Covenant sequel and A5 greenlit. There has to be a very heavy appetite though. $600mm ww at least.

Russ

Quote from: Shamo on Jan 26, 2017, 11:30:24 PM
I am sad of course, if Alien 5 does not happen. I want more Alien on the Big Screen! Way more.

Sorry I trailed of a little bit. But it felt good :)

I don't agree with everything you say here, Shamo, but I'm fully with your enthusiasm. So much "fandom" is utterly negative - we're living in era that, when I was young, is an age undreamed of. Superhero movies coming out of arses, video game franchises on the big screen, attempts to reinvigorate (for better or worse) this beloved franchise... yet so much of what I read just wants to piss on everything.

It's really great to read something that isn't negative and fully behind "more great stuff please."

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jan 27, 2017, 12:26:46 AM
I firmly believe we can have an Alien film without the need for Ripley.

I do too - they've done it with AvP(s) and now Prometheus and Covenant. The thing is... if Covenant fails, will they fall back to Rippers and Hicks or just ditch it. Many people want to see the "real" Alien3 that Blomkamp pitched (honestly, we're living in a fan bubble here - the care factor outside fandom regarding the merits of the theatrical vs assembly cut of cubed, eggmorphing, how the facehugger got on the Sulaco etc is probably zero)... so it'll be interesting to see what happens!

name

yeah well fox and ridley can stick alien covenant were the sun don't shine, they used bullshit in the lead up to Prometheus that'll be a prequel, was far off, they new people wouldn't support a sequel so fox changed course, and then tried to renew interest again, well fark use, I isn't watching in theatres and I ain't buying the film.

gilly69

Jeez,

Its like some people are just fans of Ripley rather than Alien.

Blomkamp has done NOTHING to say he would produce anything other than a pile of turgid fan fiction, which would appeal to a few thousand people, making 0 cash & thus leaving Alien on the pile of FORMERLY great franchise that is now ruined thanks to this Ripley obsession.

What about when, the worst happens & Ms Weaver finally succumbs to old age? I know lets put her in CGI!!

Get real people

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed