The Thing Thread

Started by Nobody, Feb 27, 2009, 12:27:02 AM

Author
The Thing Thread (Read 441,913 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SiL on Jul 05, 2022, 03:08:25 AMThe Thing consciousness doesn't operate in our brains.

I love how alien that sounds.  :o

Prez

Prez

I'm sure you have all read this but in case you haven't ... it's a brilliant take from the `alien' perspective of the Carpenter film.

https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

Oh and one more thing I said, 'watch Clark'...and watch him close, you hear me?

SiL

SiL

It's beautifully written, and I love the idea that our biology is alien and terrifying to the Thing. But I dislike how it rewrites the idea that the Thing is not some wholly communal organism, each part unaware of the others.

Each part contains multitudes, but is in itself distinct, alone, trying to survive. That's why the blood test works, why Norris falls apart and turns into multiple organisms all trying to cut loose:

The Thing wants to survive -- but the Thing knows it only needs a single cell. You can cut and burn and obliterate countless pieces of it, but so long as one cell lives, everything it ever knew, ever was, survives. So the blood can try to run off, knowing that it makes no difference if you torch the rest of Palmer. So long as IT escapes, the Thing survives.

The idea that Childs and basically everyone else was the Thing for a long time really undermines the entire, terrifying point; that the Thing knows it only needs the smallest part of itself, and that it will do anything to ensure that small part survives.

Even if Childs and MacReady aren't the Thing, there are cells -- fragments of flesh, blood, tissue -- frozen all over the place. Any one of them could thaw, awake, and begin again.

Highland

Highland

Damn Sil calm down, that gave me shivers  :laugh:

Although I think the Thing knows its the The Thing, otherwise you're talking about two versions of different consciousness inside the body.

One that knows it has to sabotage the blood bank and one that doesn't remember that it did.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Prez on Jul 07, 2022, 06:52:03 AMI'm sure you have all read this but in case you haven't ... it's a brilliant take from the `alien' perspective of the Carpenter film.

Written by Peter Watts?  He wrote Blindsight!  How did I not know this existed??

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Highland on Jul 07, 2022, 11:29:19 AMDamn Sil calm down, that gave me shivers  :laugh:

Although I think the Thing knows its the The Thing, otherwise you're talking about two versions of different consciousness inside the body.

One that knows it has to sabotage the blood bank and one that doesn't remember that it did.
That's it, though - the perfectly copied human brain acting as it always did, completely unaware, and the Thing consciousness alive and bristling in every cell.

That's another thing I like about the short story, it addresses the notion of two distinct consciousnesses and how they interact.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Now do yourself a favor and read Blindsight.  Some fans even got together and made a short film about it.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Prez on Jul 07, 2022, 06:52:03 AMI'm sure you have all read this but in case you haven't ... it's a brilliant take from the `alien' perspective of the Carpenter film.

I wasn't thrilled with that short story, mostly because it kind of arbitrarily changes the rules established by the movie. According to the short story, the blood test doesn't work (since if I remember right, Clark and/or Copper were Things but didn't come up positive in the blood test).

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 07, 2022, 01:44:11 PM

Written by Peter Watts?  He wrote Blindsight!  How did I not know this existed??

I remember him!🤩

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

You might like this too.  Blindsight has vampires, but it turns out they were a human sub-species that went extinct because they couldn't stand right angles.  It makes sense when he explains it...

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 08, 2022, 12:29:53 AM

I wasn't thrilled with that short story, mostly because it kind of arbitrarily changes the rules established by the movie. According to the short story, the blood test doesn't work (since if I remember right, Clark and/or Copper were Things but didn't come up positive in the blood test).
The short seems to operate on the idea that only Nauls, Windows, Gary and MacReady weren't infected and I'm not here for it.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Jul 08, 2022, 01:15:12 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 08, 2022, 12:29:53 AM

The short seems to operate on the idea that only Nauls, Windows, Gary and MacReady weren't infected and I'm not here for it.
Yeah it doesn't make sense. So Copper was a Thing, outs Norris as a Thing by shocking him, gets his arms bitten off but doesn't Thing-out, and actually literally dies (but is a Thing), and then doesn't Thing-out during the blood test? I'm not buying it.

SiL

SiL

All to maintain appearance. Norris and the blood just ... "forget" to?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Jul 11, 2022, 09:07:23 PMAll to maintain appearance. Norris and the blood just ... "forget" to?
What do you mean?

Also if Copper and Clark are Things (but the other characters think they're human) then what's the point if they don't do anything anyway? Is it supposed to be some kind of "gotcha" that the humans naively didn't burn Copper and Clark's bodies and therefore some Thing creatures survived the movie anyway?

Prez

Prez

The thing (no pun) I love about this film is that despite seeing it countless times since the 80s I still find myself having so many unanswered questions and dare I say confusion too ... I appreciate some of the comments on here but the fact is a lot of it was left unanswered by Carpenter (how deliberate I don't know but it's a brilliant result) and it's us just assuming - but I think that's the beauty of this film.

There are times I still don't know who is or isn't a thing and I love that. It's perfect. I've said it before but for Ridley's Alien this would be my ultimate horror/scifi film.

Nice to also see my post about the score revive this thread again ...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed