Ridley Says No to Extended Cut

Started by Valaquen, Oct 08, 2012, 02:46:51 PM

Author
Ridley Says No to Extended Cut (Read 58,194 times)

SM

SM

Constructive you say?

RagingDragon

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Oct 10, 2012, 02:03:27 AM

QuoteIt's okay to acknowledge that it really does suck when compared to Alien, because it does.

And it's okay to acknowledge not everyone agrees with you.

QuotePeople just wanted a movie on-par with Alien.  Prometheus isn't.  That's the only objective standard necessary, and a completely reasonable one at that.

No, it's your opinion.  And you're going to have to start learning to live with it only being that.  The Internet is hard, bro.
I think the internet's easy, but please don't drag a perfectly good conversation into another subjective/objective argument, or I'll have to start posting wikipedia entries on things like character and plot.

It says pretty plainly that the phrase "in character" has been used to describe an effective impersonation by an actor.  Are you suggesting that, thanks to subjectivity in opinion, an actor can never be classified as being ineffective due to the difference of opinion on whether they met the criteria for being effective or not?  If there wasn't an objective for the actor to meet in the first place, then there would be no physical dimension of bad or good acting, no criticism whatsoever, because it wouldn't matter what the actors were trying to accomplish, or the story for that matter, because it's all subjective.  A movie that makes no sense and has no point can never be labeled as such, because someone is free to disagree about that and think that the movie is legendary based on their own arbitrary standard that may or may not coincide with reality.

But to do this, you destroy any objective the original element may have had.  Hence the antonym.

Continuing with this theme of character:
QuoteCharacter, particularly when enacted by an actor in the theatre or cinema, involves "the illusion of being a human person."[5] In literature, characters guide readers through their stories, helping them to understand plots and ponder themes

This statement also implies that a character has an objective that they can achieve or fail, hence why you can have an ineffective character that didn't properly communicate their meaning to the audience, like a bunch of scientists that act nothing like scientists but are trying to tell me they're scientists.  I don't believe it, and I can objectively prove it since I know actual scientists, and through this thing called writing, we can recreate these real people in fictional stories and have an audience experience this effective character and whatever happens to it.

A plot also has an objective which it can achieve or fail, but I'll refrain from posting another massive slab of text.  I'll try and make the rest a medium-sized slab.

All a comparison requires is a standard.  You can pick any standard you want.  I'm not running around yelling at people trying to get them to agree with me, I'm comparing the film itself to many different standards, and when I show how it fails to meet those standards, people suddenly become personally insulted by it.  If you disagree, I would love for you to show me examples of why you disagree based on your own objective standard, or mine, whichever one doesn't really matter, but you're communicating with someone using the same logical language.  When you play the subjective card, you're not even offering up any logical framework for conclusion because you're just saying "because I said so."

This is nothing new, btw spectators.  Ayn Rand has been talking about this for years.  We're just arguing over how it's applied to cinema.

So uh... how bout that Prometheus?

Quote from: SM on Oct 10, 2012, 04:02:41 AM
Constructive you say?

Constructive, SM ^ take notes.

SM

SM

Nah, I'm good.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: G8RSG1 on Oct 10, 2012, 03:59:47 AM
Quote from: Gash on Oct 08, 2012, 04:10:31 PM
Quote from: Kol on Oct 08, 2012, 03:53:09 PM
so sad.

clearly an evidence, that scott became senile.

Oh I dunno. I expect he can still capitalise his sentences.

Seriously? Is that all you could think of to say? Of all the constructive arguments and ideas floating around here, you decided to poke at his capitalization?

Grow up.

Whoooosh!

No, just at the hypocrisy. But hey, apparently it's fine to call someone senile in your world. Nice.

But if you can think of a constructive argument or idea to counter what I'd consider basic abuse please enlighten me with your mature analysis of why you support the theory that Scott is in fact senile.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 10, 2012, 04:05:09 AM
I think the internet's easy, but please don't drag a perfectly good conversation into another subjective/objective argument, or I'll have to start posting wikipedia entries on things like character and plot.

Oh, boy!  Wikipedia!

QuoteThis is nothing new, btw spectators.  Ayn Rand has been talking about this for years.

Wow, Ayn Rand!  Now I know this is serious business!

Dude, everything is subjective, and publicly the movie met with decent financial success and a healthily divided reception.  And that's fine.  If you have to resort to Wikipedia's rote definitions and Ayn Rand to try and make a case for how you are absolutely, unequivocally, undeniably right and correct, I think it's safe to say the trial is a mistrial and you're harshing the buzz.  People differ, and that is okay.  Let it go, Indiana.  Let it go.

RagingDragon

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Oct 10, 2012, 04:29:08 AM
everything is subjective, and publicly the movie met with decent financial success and a healthily divided reception

That second part is subjective.

SpaceMarines

Now you're just being an ass.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

lol.

RagingDragon

I'm telling the truth, and illustrating how SpeedyMaxx hasn't the faintest clue what he's just said. ;)

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 10, 2012, 05:19:23 AM
I'm telling the truth, and illustrating how SpeedyMaxx hasn't the faintest clue what he's just said. ;)

The blunderbuss scattershot fire of "the confident approach" is admirable here, doll, but it really doesn't change what I said or render this debate less moot.  Some people hate a movie, some people like it.  That's fine.  That happens everyday.  You seem eager to somehow "prove it" in your own mind with "science" because you are apparently profoundly insecure about there even being a difference of opinion.  I personally don't give a shit about the argument, and I don't consider either of us to be more or less of a 'real fan.'  It's fine.  It happens.  I'm not going to force a fight over it, and I'm not going to take bait.  Good luck with the rest of the board though.  In conclusion, America.

RagingDragon

Hey it's cool, baby.  Just discussing philosophy.

Bad habit of mine.  Don't have to get all hurt up in the butt.  It wasn't about myself or you personally.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I assure you, kind sir, nothing on or about this board could butthurt me less.  As I've said here in the past, the Internet is just not even remotely that srs.  Life is too short.

RagingDragon

Ridley disagreeing with an extended cut objectively pisses me off.

He's going full Blade Runner again. Let's take bets on how many years it takes for him to change his mind.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Quote from: SM on Oct 10, 2012, 02:02:21 AM
Quote from: Ash 937 on Oct 10, 2012, 01:56:09 AM
Quote from: SM on Oct 10, 2012, 12:51:12 AM
it reviewed well and made over $400m on a $130m budget with a restrictive rating, and they're pursung a sequel.

Yeah, and its amusing to see the fans rally around these facts to justify their appreciation of the film.  By stands set this high, someone could even argue that the Saw franchise is just a series of masterpieces, one after another.

You'd have a valid point if any Saw film has an overall positive response from critics.  Must be devastating that a lot people actually liked Prometheus.

It's not, actually.  I'm glad that a lot of people found it entertaining.  I was never a big fan of the Saw franchise either but a quick internet search will find you a lot of critical reviews in moderate favor of that movie too, just like Prometheus.  The point is more valid than you realize but to each their own, dude.  You generally seem to be able to back up your opinions with a sound argument...so I know your defense of the theatrical cut of the film has been thought through and through.  I just don't share the same satisfaction that you have with the theatrical cut.

samoht

samoht

Quote from: Valaquen on Oct 08, 2012, 02:46:51 PM
QuoteAccording to De Lauzirika, Scott was asked by Fox to make a new cut of the film for Blu-ray but refused, saying the theatrical version is his Director's Cut.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/08/fox-wanted-extended-prometheus-blu-ray-ridley-scott-said-no/

Full story at the link.

Too much Jizz has been spilt in anticipation for what could have been...

Oh god Ridley. Why must you violate us? P-please...please s-stop. Oh god...OH GOD! OH GO- ...NOOO!!!!! NOOO!!!!
NOT THE SPIKED DILDO!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed